[ARM: Linux and Android] HD Video playback issues on Gotham
ARM hardware has problems with playing back 720p streams, whether in Linux or in Android, Frodo and Gotham. The issue does not happen in Linux on x86 (Frodo or Gotham)

After playing back the stream for 10 to 15minutes, video gets garbled and turns into green and yellow blocks. Audio continues to work fine. The player doesn't hang.

Stopping the movie and re-launching it just reproduces the same problem over and over, starting in the same video frame. This happens with most "HD" movie from IceFilms (H264, 720p), whether streamed or downaloaded and then watched, and is very annoying.

For example, see this link to content via pastebin: http://pastebin.com/rqsqCZ4e

- when played back with Gotham (nightly 2014 03 01) in Nexus 5 (android 4.2.2) and Nexus 10, the problem shows after 7.5 minutes of playback

- when played back on a PIVOS XIOS DS (ARMv7) with Linux and Frodo (12.2), the issue happens, consistently, after 12 minutes of playback

- when played back on Linux on x86 (Frodo 12.2, 12.3 and gotham), no issues whatsoever.

The problem happens with most "HD" quality streams from icefilms.

Anybody else running into the same issue?
htpcero,
As for the add-on you are using I'm sorry but I can't comment on as it's nothing to do with xbmc.org.
The Gotham Nightly build from 1st March 2014 now has a sub-menu in the Video section called Acceleration, In this section there are 2 Hardware Acceleration Modules:--
1. LibstageFright
2. MediaCodex
For your Nexus 10 running KK 4.4.2 then you only need MediaCodex enabled but it does not matter if you have both enabled. Please check these settings.
I've just updated to Gotham Nightly Build 03-03-2014 and am watching a HD film (1080p) and its been running for 45mins without any problems on my Nexus 10.
Thanks sheepybach for following up.

I have my Nexus 5 here at hand, double checked the Gotham nightly version (2013 03 01), double checked the settings (they are both checked).

Let's forget about the add on.

Here in this pastebin: http://pastebin.com/DDxnqiGt

There is a direct link to one of the many MKV files that causes trouble after a bit (all "HD" MKVs in that site I tried playing are showing this problem).

I just left this one running for: 9minutes 59secs, and then video got garbled, audio continued OK, and XBMC player "video running bar" keeps showing as if the video is running normally: this garbled video can be paused, resumed, etc, but the image does not get fixed up.

I do notice know that the time when the garbling starts varies. In two runs, once it happened after 7m30sec, and the second one after 9min 59sec.

Is there any chance you can try this specific MKV? There are lots more. Just to see if you can also reproduce the issue.

Thanks!!
(2014-03-03, 16:51)htpcero Wrote: Thanks sheepybach for following up.

I have my Nexus 5 here at hand, double checked the Gotham nightly version (2013 03 01), double checked the settings (they are both checked).

Let's forget about the add on.

Here in this pastebin: http://pastebin.com/DDxnqiGt

There is a direct link to one of the many MKV files that causes trouble after a bit (all "HD" MKVs in that site I tried playing are showing this problem).

I just left this one running for: 9minutes 59secs, and then video got garbled, audio continued OK, and XBMC player "video running bar" keeps showing as if the video is running normally: this garbled video can be paused, resumed, etc, but the image does not get fixed up.

I do notice know that the time when the garbling starts varies. In two runs, once it happened after 7m30sec, and the second one after 9min 59sec.

Is there any chance you can try this specific MKV? There are lots more. Just to see if you can also reproduce the issue.

Thanks!!

For the record: The same issue reproduced in an HTC One with kitkat 4.2.2 and XBMC gotham nightly (2014 03 02 - I believe this is Beta 1)
The video turns into a small green blinking rectangle after 10 minutes of playback. The same video plays fine in Intel x86 (same gotham nightly on Linux/Ubuntu)

Wondering if this is a chipset compatibility issue. Perhaps not a lot of people are running xbmc on this android HW yet?
I wanted to link this thread to another in the PIVOS forum where this issue has been confirmed in Gotham (beta1) and even in Tofu, by two different ppl, with different MKVs.

Here are the links:

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...110#p39317

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...365#p39365

Please post your experience if you are running into this issue. We may get a dev's attention if this is widespread.

All three devices with video playback problems that I tested with are based on ARM/Qualcomm - on linux and on Android. Accelerated driver issue perhaps.
Bump. Having this same issue up to 13.2 beta 1.

Hardware: Fire TV. Hardware acceleration off everything works fine, but choppy. if either libstagefright OR mediacodec are accelerated this problem occurs.
thought i'd add an update. Hardware: Fire TV, Gotham 13.2 beta 1

I experienced the green blocks/garbled video under the following conditions:
1080p x264 video + libstagefright accelerated, mediacodec accelerated, both accelerated, AND multi threaded software

I added an advancedsettings.xml and and basically set it to buffer the shit out of everything (128mb buffer for everything with a 10x multiplier). now the following happens:

libstagefright and mediacodec hardware acceleration is still broken. However, multi threaded software decoding now works flawlessly AND at full speed. CPU usage can approach 90% on 3 cores if I throw really heavy stuff at it, but at least I can use XBMC now. I wish hardware acceleration worked, but this will do for now.

edit: I'm slightly retarded I guess, but I'll leave this up for people who want to get software decoding running well. I migrated from a WD TV Live, which plays basically any 8 bit x264 mkv I throw at it. It chews through 30mbps files like nothing. So I assumed when I got this fancy new box from Amazon that it would play my whole library as well. Long story short: the hardware acceleration does not like profile 4.1 or higher. I haven't figured out the precise hardware limitations, and I probably won't as the powerful CPU is kicking ass for me right now.
Thought I would update as I was having the same problem on my Amazon Fire TV and couldn't resolve. It would go green and scrambled around 10 minutes on HD files. Audio would still play.

I updated to Gotham 13.2 that was released a couple of weeks ago and now it works.
i have a same problem too..after 10-15 minutes, video stuck and audio still run
anyone can help solve this issues..my device is s-89H..but when i run xbmc on my windows, its work fine

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ARM: Linux and Android] HD Video playback issues on Gotham1