hulu new
Here is a link to my repo for the version of Hulu I've been using for the last couple of years which is based on Bluecop's original. My work is extremely minimal and is totally dependent on Bluecop's original. I have only been trying to keep up to date with the required changes for newer versions of XBM (Frodo).

https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.hulunew

There is a new addon config parameter - Fallback CDN . It can be set to NONE or darwin-edgecast. It defaults to NONE, so you will have to set it. I have never tested turning on commercials or network preroll, so they may not work correctly. I have always used Enable Login, so I don't know if it works without it. You will notice that the Subtitles, TV and Movies folders are located in userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.hulunew directory rather than the \addons\plugin.video.hulunew\cache\ directory - this is a big no no under Linux systems as it is typically read-only. The token.xml and settings.xml are there as well.

I believe that I have made the changes necessary to keep up with the Frodo release. I have 4 or 5 addons in the official repo (as well as my learningit github) under t1m, so I have some limited experience in coding addons from scratch. As far as I know, all the functionality in the original Bluecop version works.

-It works for me under Windows 7 and Linux.
-Don't ask me any questions about proxies or debrid - I have no knowledge or interest.
-I run this with just a Hulu account, I've never tested Plus.
-I use it in the US. Don't ask me how to use it outside the US.
-I don't claim this update from Bluecop's original is any better than one done by anyone else - just works for me.

The summary of Version 3.9.5 Changes made to support Frodo:
- fixed most if something: to if something is not None:
- fixed date format issues
- move the "cache" folder from pluginpath to user profile - using pluginpath on some linux systems will write fail
- added edgecast CDN recognition
- tried to fix fanart and art to carry through dir views properly - still some work to do
- fixed errors with search and subscriptions
- modified most prints to log - turn on debug flag to send data to xbmc.log
- added writing a tvshow.nfo for library export so that the XBMC library updates correctly
- various addon.xml changes
- added <genre>Hulu</genre> to library exports to allow easy support from PseudoTV

I hope it works for you.

This is a hobby for me and not my life. I hope over the next few weeks to get this addon up to date with latest XBMC releases and fit for submission to the XBMC.org repo, if the politics allow it.
(2014-03-02, 23:57)learningit Wrote: - added <genre>Hulu</genre> to library exports to allow easy support from PseudoTV

Your overriding show genres with "Hulu" ?
Does this fork include strm runtime and expired strm removal?

Wouldn't it be better to push these changes to moneymakers beta?
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2014-03-03, 08:15)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 23:57)learningit Wrote: - added <genre>Hulu</genre> to library exports to allow easy support from PseudoTV

Your overriding show genres with "Hulu" ?
Does this fork include strm runtime and expired strm removal?

Wouldn't it be better to push these changes to moneymakers beta?

I would have to go back and read the code, but my recollection is that I only added a routine to create a tvshow.nfo file and didn't touch, other than to fix some python issues which generate warnings about future problems, the episode strm routines. In the tvshow.info, I add Hulu as a genre - I can't remember if I actually even bother to look for genres. The episodes will have genres if they were there in the first place and the code still works. I just setup a channel using Hulu as a genre (actually several of them) under PseudoTV. I don't think it allows for more than one genre unless you write channel rules.
I'm not sure what you mean by strm runtime, if you mean duration, yes I fixed that for everything I believe. I deal with expired strms in a different way on my system because in the autoexec.py that runs the hulu updater, I delete the strms first, run the hulu updater and then do a clean library.

On your last question, just because we're both from NY, I'll answer it and hopefully put it to bed. If you haven't gathered already from all the caveats listed above, I'm a really grumpy old bastard. This is an open source community. My version is in a public github account which anyone can do anything they want with it, including copying it and pulling it into moneymaker or anyone else's git. My version is derived totally from Bluecop's original. My changes to his version represent about 1 hour of my time in total over the last 12 months to keep it running under Frodo and to cleanup errors that were vomiting into the log. I never looked at the beta until a couple of days ago - I'm kinda stupid and thought Bluecop still had the repo. When I finally looked at the repo I realized that most of the work done is to allow it to be used overseas or with real debrid. There was little or no work put into trying to make the addon comply with the XBMC.org repo rules or even Frodo requirements. Anyone who actually reads and understands the error logs posted to the other thread would know that they fall into two categories: people trying to use it through proxy services or issues to do with not complying with the XBMC addon rules, which have changed significantly since the time Bluecop originally wrote the addon. Hence I put up my repo so that folks could see the kind of changes necessary to get it closer to what would be acceptable to compliance. I want folks to have the compliance portion and I choose not to collaborate on the grayer areas - without any derision on anyone else's work. I wish that people would respect my choice.

I am a strong advocate of going through the screening process to get into the XBMC.org official repo. I have 4 or 5 addons authored under t1m in the official repo (RT News is probably the most used). The guys who manage the process are really great and very patient with stupidity. More importantly, I have had to spend virtually no time maintaining the addons because they comply to XBMC release requirements. The rules may not be to everyone's liking, but they do protect the integrity of the XBMC project and community.

I am of the opinion that all of this conversation may be academic given that Hulu is aligning itself more and more with secure CDNs. I was pretty shocked to find from users that edgecast feeds aren't encrypted. Every one that I looked at was. I will look into the code to give you better answers to your earlier questions as soon as I get a chance.
Thanks, learningit! Your version works fine without enabling Hulu+. Somehow, enabling Hulu+ changes the CDN's available. leading one to believe that Hulu+ is using encrypted streams.

XXX For now, I am using MoneyMaker's beta along with your edgecast updates and locomot1f's FPS updates. It works fine for me in every respect. But I would be nowhere without your contributions! Thanks for everything you've done, and good luck on this revised Bluecop version!
XXX

Can't find the lineout - - - edgecast has disappeared almost overnight, and so I have abandoned the hulu-beta in favor of your version.

Thanks ~Jim
@learningit

I understand you now. I respect your decision, of course, that you do not want to deal with certain laws apart. Excuse me if I haven't understood you correctly at the beginning.
// GitHub // Repository

// USTV VoD (Video-on-Demand) / World News Live / MRT Play
@learningit
As for your fork... I figured it would be easier to keep changes combined since you are all working up to the same goal. Was just my opinion...
thanks
(2014-03-03, 20:48)learningit Wrote:
(2014-03-03, 20:45)Lunatixz Wrote: @learningit
Changing show genre to only "hulu" is flat out dumb. There are many other less invasive ways of tagging shows as hulu..

As for your fork... I figured it would be easier to keep changes combined since you are all working up to the same goal. Was just my opinion...

I didn't say change, I said add. I'm just not sure that I picked up the others from the xml, mainly because I don't care.
Iol you beat me to my post edit... Got it now you added it...
Enjoy the storm
Sorry for the storm: I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible the XBMC Hulu App is being specifically targeted by Hulu for violations of it's policies?
2. Mostly for loss of ad revenue as the app allows for limiting ads (meaning Hulu can't invoice advertisers for non-displayed ads)?
3. If inclusion into the official XBMC addon repository is the goal isn't there some 'do no harm' clause that rejects an app that does this?

I honestly don't know the answers. Thanks again for this app, learningit.
(2014-03-03, 23:15)KonaHilo Wrote: Sorry for the storm: I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible the XBMC Hulu App is being specifically targeted by Hulu for violations of it's policies?
2. Mostly for loss of ad revenue as the app allows for limiting ads (meaning Hulu can't invoice advertisers for non-displayed ads)?
3. If inclusion into the official XBMC addon repository is the goal isn't there some 'do no harm' clause that rejects an app that does this?

I honestly don't know the answers. Thanks again for this app, learningit.

I don't know the answers to these questions either. My best guesses are:

1. I doubt it. Too small an audience at this time. I'm usually wrong.
2. This reminded me to change something back to it's original state. There's a new version 3.9.7 (I think) in the repo which turns ads on by default. My personal usage has them turned on because I watch mostly old crap using PseudoTV and I like the experience better with them on.
3. I intend to do a bit of work, when I have time, to deal with some technical issues to make the addon fit for Frodo, and possibly Gotham XBMC releases. I guess that some functionality may need to be removed to go into the official repo. I'm not proposing to do the technical work because I feel morally driven to do so. I'm doing it because when I read through old error logs, I know damn well that many of those errors and their subsequent user complaints are due to the addon being run on newer XBMC versions than the original author was aware of at the time he wrote the addon. The original author, Bluecop, was a lot smarter than I am and a damn good programmer. Just reading through his code makes you a better XBMC programmer.

I wasn't aware that Hawaii was a destination for retired ethics professors.
Actually the more I think about the questions above, I realize that this addon has a number of gray areas. I will be taking it out of my repo in the next couple of days. Someone else is probably in a better position to move it forward.
Thanks for the answers, learningit.

1. Interesting. Tell me, is there a way to force a new login w/Hulu everytime the app is started?
2. Didn't know I could do that. I'll turn them on. I don't see why Hulu would complain as long as their advertising goes thru unimpeded.

Quote:I wasn't aware that Hawaii was a destination for retired ethics professors.

Nah, I never touch the stuff. As far as Hulu goes, they're in it for the money so they probably don't touch it either. But XBMC might, which is why I asked. You'd be surprised how many retirees of all sorts are over here. It's the new Florida without all the hanging chads and standing your ground stuff..
All the Hulu plugins are working now, including this one, and you can set akamai as your default CDN. Then you will not have to choose from a list of streams.

So everything is working until something else changes. LOL
(2014-03-12, 17:25)jimt35126 Wrote: All the Hulu plugins are working now, including this one, and you can set akamai as your default CDN. Then you will not have to choose from a list of streams.

So everything is working until something else changes. LOL

set akamai but still have chose from a list of streams and none of them working.

Please help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
hulu new0