No digital audio on nightly builds for me since the Feb 21st version
Just a heads-up. I am still running the Feb 21st nightly as anything after that has "broken" my ability to do digital passthrough. The option for passthrough is no longer on my menu on any builds after Feb 21. FWIW I'm running this on a hackintosh but I doubt that is the issue. No biggie as I'll just stay on the Feb 21st build but is there some news I may have missed on doing something or configuring something differently?

cheers
did you enable the advanced settingslevel? Also posting a debug log (wiki) might help...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-03-03, 00:03)Memphiz Wrote: did you enable the advanced settingslevel? Also posting a debug log (wiki) might help...

Yup, Confluence with advanced. I actually came back here just to update my system specs but <groan> Tongue I'll install the latest nightly and post the debug log in a few minutes. I should know better but I figured there may be a quick fix. Thanks as always.....

Ok, here's my debug log. Appreciate any help but at least the Feb 21st build works for me.

Cheers

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=141979
Hmm interesting. Just read a post from Memphix from Feb 18th talking about a new ActiveAE audio engine for OSX.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1630963

Which kinda coincides with the time (Feb 22nd and on) the nightly builds broke my digital audio. Surely I'm not the only one with a problem? I'd hate to be "that one guy"... Smile
OK, now I'm REALLY confused..errr..well perplexed. I decided to torture myself and play with the audio settings on the Mar 2 nightly.

Here's my Audio Settings screen under system settings. No "enable passthrough" rightHuh

http://imgur.com/2M4gmuF

And here's what I see if I check audio settings WHILE PLAYING A MOVIE....notice anything? Confused

http://imgur.com/qy2qZiE

Now, even though I select "enable passthrough" and my amp seems to try to switch briefly, I still don't get surround or a digital signal. I stay at plain old PCM stereo. Good lord what a PITA. I remain on the Feb 21st build until this gets resolved.

PS..Even if I change "Number of channels" from 2.0 to 5.1 it still doesn't make a difference. In case anyone was wondering.....
Missing for me too
So I guess these settings are now only exposed when a passthrough output device is detected. Personally, I can see this being very annoying to anyone wanting to define things on a mobile setup, like a laptop, where you don't always have every situation's hardware available in order to make settings changes before hand, but that's a different issue.

When I start XBMC with an optical cable plugged into the headphone jack, OS X sees an optical output device, and so does XBMC. Then the passthrough options are exposed to me.
(2014-03-03, 03:24)Ned Scott Wrote: Missing for me too

So its not just me then! Rofl

But the real question is, does your digital audio work or are you stuck on stereo?
See my post after that. If OS X sees the optical output then XBMC will see the optical output. It's a bit annoying that it only exposes the options when the passthrough device is detected, but I guess it's probably better for most people/situations.
(2014-03-03, 03:38)Ned Scott Wrote: When I start XBMC with an optical cable plugged into the headphone jack, OS X sees an optical output device, and so does XBMC. Then the passthrough options are exposed to me.

Wait, not getting this. I have an optical cable from my computer to my AV receiver so for some reason XBMC isn't detecting it. OSX is configured in System Prefs to use digital out through the Optical digital-out port and I get all sounds through the receiver. How the heck would I even plug an optical cable into my headphone jack?
Doen't some Macbooks have 3.5mm audio output in them that has both analog and digital signals in the same connector?

Just to rule it out i would try deleting guisettings.xml and let the new nightly build recreate the default audio settings. Create a backup first if you don't want to configure everything from scratch if you revert back to older builds.
None of your devices are reporting AC3 or DTS capability, thus XBMC won't allow you to tick passthrough. Quite possibly a hackintosh thing.

We can probably get around it in your case by hitting "Digital" in the name and ASSuMEing that can do passthrough (it's not obvious that it will be able to).

Please grab a Debug Log with the optical connection to your receiver disconnected from the computer (from the computer end).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Here's the debug log. Thanks for looking...just my luck my "must have" app could force me back into a Windows environment....shudder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9fs3wyl7veo6wo/xbmc.log
@jmarshall wouldn't we have the same problem on that special setup where you crafted the float 2 int conversion? (e.x. in that case we wouldn't see a passthrough device too and wouldn't be able to select passthrough - i think this is something which changed in ActiveAE when we worked on the osx/ios sink - right?).

I think we should enable passthrough options as soon as we enumerate an HDMI or an optical device - or what do you think jonathan?

Or maybe everything that can do AE_FMT_S16LE?

Beside that - i've got a hackintosh where i got this right (e.x. it behaves exactly like a real mac) - you need to have a properly patched AppleHDA.kext and correct DSDT tweaks - but this is a bit offtopic....
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-03-03, 16:30)Memphiz Wrote: Beside that - i've got a hackintosh where i got this right (e.x. it behaves exactly like a real mac) - you need to have a properly patched AppleHDA.kext and correct DSDT tweaks - but this is a bit offtopic....

I don't want to pull my thread off topic here but I'm running the patched AppleHDA.kext from the latest Multibeast 6.1 as well as the Realtek 889 drivers from Multibeast. I am not running with a DSDT as I have a UEFI bios running on my Gigabyte x68 motherboard. We could pull this into a new thread but for now.....that is all.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No digital audio on nightly builds for me since the Feb 21st version0