[frodo] randomandlastitems.py error: Messed up something, help!
Hi there,

By (lots of) trials and errors I managed to configure my XBMC Frodo with Aeon Nox skin to work like as I wanted.

Working behavior was:
1) starting screen showing big fanart of random items
2) under Movies created a Playlist with the last 25 movies, showing DVD covers of last items

Everything was working fine until something happened in the library.
I did not change any configuration, and all I could configure was done by GUI (no manual editing of XML files).

Now I see a "Error - Script failed! randomandlastitems.py" everytime I enter the main screen, with no more fanart in the background and empy last movies right-side widget
(please see here: http://postimg.org/image/7zr8t3xaj/ )

And no empty DVD covers for the "25 latest playlists"
(please see here: http://postimg.org/image/9qfvy1zu5/ )

Movies and last 25 items playlists are OK and can browse them with no problem.

I've tried to clear/rebuild library, with no result.

There is only one non-scraped file in the library (unconventional name) and it was there also when everything was working.

Debug log is available upon request, seems the only error is:

Code:
16:06:18 T:4517281792   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
                                          Error Contents: (2, 'No such file or directory', 'videodb://1/2/')
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.randomandlastitems/randomandlastitems.py", line 842, in <module>
                                                _parse_argv()
                                              File "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.randomandlastitems/randomandlastitems.py", line 763, in _parse_argv
                                                _getPlaylistType ();
                                              File "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.randomandlastitems/randomandlastitems.py", line 42, in _getPlaylistType
                                                _doc = parse(xbmc.translatePath(PLAYLIST))
                                              File "/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Frameworks/lib/python2.6/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1918, in parse
                                                return expatbuilder.parse(file)
                                              File "/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Frameworks/lib/python2.6/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 922, in parse
                                                fp = open(file, 'rb')
                                            IOError: (2, 'No such file or directory', 'videodb://1/2/')
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

What is exactly 'videodb://1/2/' ? I've been using it in my playlist slots but I'm confused. It always worked.

Many thanks for any clues!!
This is a shot in the dark, and it's a semi-weird process, but bear with me for a moment.

There seems to have been an update recently to the "Random and Last items script" within the last few days. My first thought is to try to rule out of that update is causing the issue.

Normally we can just "rollback" add-on versions (a little know feature), but this is an add-on module, which means it's not normally exposed in XBMC's GUI in order to use the rollback button. However, XBMC has most likely still saved old copies of that add-on, so we just have to manually install it.

Quit XBMC, go into the OS X finder and go to the "GO" menu at the top. Press option while clicking on the menu and an option for "Library" should show up. Select Library and go to:

Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/Packages/

Look for a zip file that says something like script.randomandlastitems-2.1.6.zip, which should be the older version before the recent update. Pull that out to your desktop.

Go back into Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/

delete the script.randomandlastitems folder

Unzip the 2.1.6 version that is on your desktop and place the resulting script.randomandlastitems folder into the addons folder.

Start up XBMC and see if that fixes the issue.
Thanks, I will try soon..
Just let me add I've found an old XBMC user folder backup and replaced it. When XBMC started everything was working fine, then it started scraping the newest movies, and after that I've been seeing the same error. Could it be related to some strange title entering in the library?.
It could be. I'm not that familiar with the add-on itself, other than the basics of what it does, but maybe it's some weird file name or fluke or something.
bump -- still looking for this fix for randomandlastitems.py
Dylahn724:

I've been using Gotham now and since its installation everything is back to normal.
I guess it could have been a bug processing some items in my library, now gone.
I suggest backing up userdata folder then try the new Gotham (also new beta is working fine) and see if it's okay, then you can toss the backup, or revert to Frodo if necessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[frodo] randomandlastitems.py error: Messed up something, help!0