my candidate for ridiculous skinning question of 2014
Question: Has any thought been given to making skinning easier for non-coders like myself?

i am sure many of you are now laughing hysterically or throwing your hands up in disgust.
i can feel the rolling of the eyes and gnashing of teeth beginning as i write this.

if you care to read more, below i explain why i ask such %$#% question.

i have been toying with the idea of skinning for some time now. reading the wiki and trying things out.
however after visiting the (wip) skinning page i am very discouraged.

i discovered i am not alone in my desire to design a skin for xbmc. yet it also appears that, like myself there are many wannabe skinners out there who have great ideas and strong design skills but little or no coding skills.
there are too many promising skins that have been abandoned in my view. and most seem to be due to a lack of coding skills.
as others have pointed out on the (wip) page, we are in over our heads.

i believe that well designed and highly functional skins are the (wow) that attracts and keeps new users to xbmc.
more designs are a good thing for us all.

i have been forced to admit defeat.i now realize that i do not have the time to invest in learning the coding necessary to bring my ideas for a skin to a release for all to enjoy. let alone become a skilled skinner. perhaps when i was younger i could have put the time in, but no longer.

know one needs yet another abandoned (wip) skin certainly not mine, as brilliant as i think it could be.

anyone else feel the same way, have any insights to offer or am i asking way to much.

thank you for reading

p.s. this is by no means a criticism. i sincerely do not intend it that way at all. i thoroughly enjoy trying new skins and switching between my current favorites. i greatly appreciate all the work that has gone into these skins. even more so now that i have a greater awareness of just what has gone into them. thank you to all.
I feel your pain. I too am slowly trying to learn how to skin. There are many great resources, be it information on the forum, or the great skinning community willing to give advice. It still comes down to spending a lot of time reading and trying and trying again. To me, that is part of the fun, but can be frustrating at times to. My advice is don't give up, just keep plugging away. It may take some time, but you will get there... for me, it may take years. haha
thank you for the words of encouragement.
i wish i had more time to enjoy the journey. i regret to say i do not. life is full right now.
i have not given up on learning how to make small changes to skins.
however i now have no illusions about learning the skill needed to make my own.

i do have a few questions about skinning where should i ask them?
The link below would maybe be a good spot to look for answers and ask new ones.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94438

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my candidate for ridiculous skinning question of 20140