XBMC not connecting to MediaPortal
I’m hoping somebody can help out as I’ve just about run out of things to try and my wife is really starting to miss her live TV…

I have one computer (an old HP Pavilion a1240n repurposed and slightly modified) running as a media server in my basement. The internal IP is 192.168.1.100. This computer has MediaPortal 1.6.0 on it with TVserverXBMC 1.6.0.125 using port 9596.

I have a second computer running Windows 7 in my living room. This computer is running XBMC 12.3 and the included MediaPortal PVR add-on, version 1.6.8 configured to connect to 192.168.1.100 and use port 9596. Windows user account (SMB) is ‘Guest’ with no password.

My cable comes in via an HD Homerun Prime.

I am able to get video to MediaPortal from the HDHR Prime via the ‘Preview’ option in the TV Server Configuration. I have not tested getting video in the MediaPortal client as the video card on the server can’t handle rendering the interface.

Now, when I start XBMC and just let it sit idle, every few minutes I get a pop-up saying “Your TVserverXBMC version is too old. Please upgrade to ‘1.0.9.10’ or higher!”

When I select ‘Live TV’ on the XBMC menu I get a pop-up saying “No PVR clients have been started yet. Wait for the PVR clients to start up or check the log for details. Please check the configuration or check the log for details.”.

My xbmc.log file contains the following:
21:21:55 T:2052 ERROR: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Socket::connect 192.168.1.100:9596
21:21:55 T:2052 ERROR: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Socket::connect: (Winsock error=10061) Connection refused
21:21:55 T:2052 ERROR: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Could not connect to MediaPortal TV Server backend
21:21:55 T:2052 ERROR: ADDON: Dll MediaPortal PVR Client - Client returned bad status (1) from Create and is not usable
21:21:55 T:2052 WARNING: PVR::CPVRClients::UpdateAndInitialiseClients - failed to create add-on MediaPortal PVR Client, status = 1
21:21:55 T:2188 NOTICE: Thread CAddonStatusHandler:pvr.mediaportal.tvserver start, auto delete: true

Through various Google searches and trial and error I have tried…
- Turning off Windows Firewall
- Swapping the port used (at both the server and client so that they are always matching)
- Uninstalled and reinstalled TVserverXBMC and the MediaPortal PVR addon for XBMC
- Multiple combinations of port, IP and hostname for connecting

Again, any help or additional troubleshooting suggestions anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated!
I think its most likely a network share issue.
There are two folders that need to be shared in Windows, the live TV folder and recordings folder.
The local address for these can be found in the the Mediaportal TV server utility, under Timeshifting/General/Folders for live TV, and Recording/folders for recorded TV. The remote share address will be listed in the TVserverXBMC tab in the Shares tab.

You should be able to browse these folders from your client PC using Windows explorer. If you can't then you need to manually share them.
I don't use a windows client, so can't say for sure, but for me the guest account did not work. It probably won't affect you presuming both PCs are in the same workgroup, but if it's still a problem after verifying the shares work, you could try connecting using another user account.
That all makes sense - I do have both of those folders on a separate drive on that server that I use strictly for all of my media. That drive as a whole is shared - I assume I wouldn't have to share the individual folders if the whole drive is shared?

I will play some more with the account and the sharing tonight after work. I've been using a third PC to remote desktop in to both the server and the client to do the work, but I may get on the actual machines to make sure they have an 'open line of communication'.

Will update later.
Thanks!
Okay, so I can access the two folders with no problem from the client computer. In the XBMC addon I tried swapping the IP of the server out with the hostname and the guest account out with an actual user and password. I tried multiple combinations of these and still no luck.

I'm really at a loss here - any ideas? Anybody?
You can try installing the Mediaportal client on the client PC. If that works then you know it's an XBMC related problem. If not, then it's a Mediaportal backend/server problem.

Not a solution, but at least it narrows down where we need to lookWink
Code:
21:21:55 T:2052 ERROR: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Socket::connect: (Winsock error=10061) Connection refused
This can mean two things.
1) Your firewall on the MediaPortal TVServer machine (backend) is blocking port 9596 (TVServerXBMC)
2) The TVServerXBMC plugin was not installed or not enabled.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
I had the unable connect issue as well. Turns out I had to stop the "tvservice" windows service account and start it again. This is the mediaportal service. I had stopped and started it before but never after configuring the xbmc plugin for media portal.

Mine connects now and can see the guide but cannot pull up a picture. Still troubleshooting thid one.
I love dead end threads! I wish people would post resolutions.
@donbrew: We can't post solutions without knowing your problem Wink

Assuming that you also have connection problems, did you check my post and try brokin's solution above?
If that does not help you, please post a debug log from both XBMC and the TVServer.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Hello All,

I Also have the problem XBMC not connecting to the media portal tv server witch is located on another machine.
system configuration:
server side;
- Mediaportal - tvserver version 1.8.0.0
- TVServerXBMC plugin version 1.6.0.125

Client side;
- xbmc-13.2-Gotham_margro
Both running win7pro

On the server side i installed everything without errors and Telnet localhost to the Tvserver plugin everything is working well including timeshifting.
When timeshifting a channel im able to connect to the stream from client computer via VLC no problems at all.
Also tried the debug version to see what is happening and also localy everything is working well.

On the client side installed xbmc-13.2-Gotham_margro and enabled the plugin set the correct ip and port. Set the stream to tsreader with rtsp enabled. and offcourse enabled the tv section. I'm able to connect from the explorer window to the recording and timeshift map located on the server witout any password and or username.

Still the XBMCplugin is not able to connect to the mediaportal plugin.
Firewalls on both machines are turned off (for testing purposes and will be set to ON later.) and systems are connected via a switch.
on the server side the debug plugin does not recieve anything and keeps waiting for clients.

Please somebody advise...

Debug log XBMC:

12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 2 times.
12:20:48 T:3624 INFO: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Creating MediaPortal PVR-Client
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'host'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'port'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'timeout'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'ftaonly'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'useradio'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'tvgroup'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'radiogroup'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'streamingmethod'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'resolvertsphostname'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'readgenre'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'sleeponrtspurl'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'fastchannelswitch'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'smbusername'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'smbpassword'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: CAddonCallbacksAddon - ADDON::CAddonCallbacksAddon::GetAddonSetting - add-on 'MediaPortal PVR Client' requests setting 'usertsp'
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: streamingmethod: TSReader, usertsp=1
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: host='10.1.100.230', port=9596, timeout=10
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: ftaonly=0, useradio=0, tvgroup='RAR-HOME', radiogroup=''
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: readgenre=0, sleeponrtspurl=1
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: resolvertsphostname=1
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: fastchannelswitch=1
12:20:48 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: settings: smb user='', pass=<empty>
12:20:48 T:3624 INFO: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Mediaportal pvr addon 1.9.15-dev connecting to 10.1.100.230:9596
12:20:48 T:3624 INFO: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: Connected to 10.1.100.230:9596
12:20:54 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: MPTV::Socket::ReadLine: timeout waiting for response, retrying... (6)
12:21:00 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: MPTV::Socket::ReadLine: timeout waiting for response, retrying... (5)
12:21:06 T:3624 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: MPTV::Socket::ReadLine: timeout waiting for response, retrying... (4)
12:21:07 T:1144 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x1c, sym: 0x010f, unicode: 0x000d, modifier: 0x0
12:21:07 T:1144 DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: enter (0xf065) pressed, action is Select
12:21:07 T:1144 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogOK.xml) ------
12:21:07 T:3060 DEBUG: Thread AddonStatus pvr.mediaportal.tvserver 3060 terminating (autodelete)
12:21:10 T:1144 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
12:21:12 T:1144 DEBUG: CApplication:TonguerocessMouse: trying mouse action leftclick
12:21:12 T:1144 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
12:21:12 T:1144 NOTICE: Log level changed to 0
12:21:30 T:3624 ERROR: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: SendCommand - Failed.
12:21:30 T:3624 ERROR: ADDON: Dll MediaPortal PVR Client - Client returned bad status (4) from Create and is not usable
12:21:30 T:3624 WARNING: PVR::CPVRClients::UpdateAndInitialiseClients - failed to create add-on MediaPortal PVR Client, status = 4
12:21:30 T:1848 NOTICE: Thread AddonStatus pvr.mediaportal.tvserver start, auto delete: true

P.S.

With media portal installed as client it can connect to the media portal tv server.
Hello again,

I think i've fixed the problem.

In mediaportal tv server i've changed the steming server port back to 554 (default port) and in XBMC i've tried to set the host instead of ip adres.
Also i turned on the EPG grabber in media portal tv server.

Now it works not fast and totally not stable but i've picture and sound on the channels in XBMC.

thanks

Roger

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not connecting to MediaPortal0