[SOLVED] Gotham 3D Issues
I finally got Gotham to start switching to stereoscopic by disabling full screen window. I have all my 3D movies saved as 3D MKV'S SBS. When I play them in Gotham, I am wearing my glasses and see the TV switch to 3D mode and XBMC gives a pop up about going to stereoscopic mode. However, the movie plays back as full frames squashed and next to each other like below. Do I need to rip differently?

Image[/color]
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
This is the expected behavior. You need to enable 3d mode as SBS in your TV manually. XBMC won't switch your TV to 3dmode automatically. There are some addons for LG and Samsung smart TVs which can switch the TV to 3D mode when a 3d movie is selected in xbmc. There is also a test version of xbmc by afedchin which can convert SBS/OU movies to frame sequential 3D, but you need a 3d capable nVidia or Intel GPU.
I thought that too but when I went to try and put my TV in 3D mode, I saw that it already was. It's like XBMC is putting it in 3D mode then displaying 2 2D pictures side by side. Even if that is the case, it seems like an inconvenient way to do it, I play the movie then have to grab my TV remote and press 3D. Nevertheless, with the movie displayed like it is in the picture, the TV is in 3D mode already. In fact I tried toggling 2D and 3D to see if anything happened.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Well, I solved it. I disabled enable 3d stereoscopic support in my nvidia setting and now when I play the movie the tv tells me 3d signal detected and to press 3D on my remote. That's an extra step I wish I didn't have to take. If my Nyxboard could be programmed to do it, it would be a little easier.
I just tested Gotham with some 3D material and noticed that the video is fuzzy and diagonal lines appear jagged when the stereoscopic side-by-side mode is selected. Then indeed the menus and subtitles are displayed correctly in 3D, but the video quality is poor. Tested 3D videos have been Half-SBS 1080p format and a JVC DLA-X30 video projector has been set side-by-side 3D mode. If I select stereoscopic mode "none" when video starts, then video quality is good, but then menus and subtitles aren't displayed in 3D. Is there anyone else noticed the same thing or is there still some settings wrong?
OK after MUCH messing around I solved my issue. First, I had to turn off full screen window. XBMC won't go into 3D in a window. Next, I had to change the file name to properly trigger 3D i.e. Avatar (2009).3d.hsbs.mkv. Then I set my Panasonic TV's 3D detection to #2 which is 3D signal and image analysis. Now, when I play a 3D movie in XBMC, it goes right into 3D on the TV and the UI is displayed properly. I'm not sure if all TV's have a similar feature so you might have to manually press the 3D button on your TV.

So, they keys were #1, use full screen instead of full screen window. #2, name the file with .3d.hsbs for a proper 3D trigger. I don't have any but if you have an over under rip it would be .3d.htab.

I might even say the 3D is better because before it was just doing "fake" 3D but now it's displaying with better depth. Could just be my imagination though. It's great to have it figured out and the UI working in 3D.

I hope this thread helps people struggling with 3D in Gotham!
Ive been using xbmc to watch our 3D HALF SBS mkvs for a while now. Is the 3d feature of gotham to support the subs and the menu when the TV is in 3d mode. This addition to gotham won't make the movies better could it?

Thanks
I've been trying to figure that out. Before, xbmc would just show a SBS picture and the tv would kick in to 3d. I'm not sure if this is simulated or not. However, in Gotham the movie itself is triggering xbmc into 3d and then the tv. To me, it seems like video is deeper and 3D is better but that could just be my imagination. Until xbmc supports playing 3d ISO's or FSBS, I think we have the best we are going to get on xbmc for now, which looks pretty darned good anyways plus the UI is visible and usable.
(2014-03-08, 00:22)patseguin Wrote: I've been trying to figure that out. Before, xbmc would just show a SBS picture and the tv would kick in to 3d. I'm not sure if this is simulated or not. However, in Gotham the movie itself is triggering xbmc into 3d and then the tv. To me, it seems like video is deeper and 3D is better but that could just be my imagination. Until xbmc supports playing 3d ISO's or FSBS, I think we have the best we are going to get on xbmc for now, which looks pretty darned good anyways plus the UI is visible and usable.

XBMC does support FSBS. You just need a 4k tv.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
And a powerful CPU I think.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...#pid925311 has more detail.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-07, 06:42)baijuxavior Wrote: This is the expected behavior. You need to enable 3d mode as SBS in your TV manually. XBMC won't switch your TV to 3dmode automatically. There are some addons for LG and Samsung smart TVs which can switch the TV to 3D mode when a 3d movie is selected in xbmc. There is also a test version of xbmc by afedchin which can convert SBS/OU movies to frame sequential 3D, but you need a 3d capable nVidia or Intel GPU.

Where would I find the XBMC addon to have my Samsung Smart TV auto switch modes when watching 3D.

I have tried searching the addons in XBMC and Google in general after reading your post and couldn't find them on my own.

EDIT: I removed "smart" from my Google search and I found it. Really shows that people can Google but use the wrong terms and end up having trouble finding stuff.
See if your Samsung has 3D detection settings. For instance, my Panasonic has 2 modes: #1 Detect 3D signal and #2 Detect 3D Signal & image Analysis. I have mine set on #2, so when I play a 3D movie in XBMC the TV kicks right into 3D.
(2014-03-08, 00:34)wgstarks Wrote:
(2014-03-08, 00:22)patseguin Wrote: I've been trying to figure that out. Before, xbmc would just show a SBS picture and the tv would kick in to 3d. I'm not sure if this is simulated or not. However, in Gotham the movie itself is triggering xbmc into 3d and then the tv. To me, it seems like video is deeper and 3D is better but that could just be my imagination. Until xbmc supports playing 3d ISO's or FSBS, I think we have the best we are going to get on xbmc for now, which looks pretty darned good anyways plus the UI is visible and usable.

XBMC does support FSBS. You just need a 4k tv.

4k only for passive... fullsbs via gpu decoding and with shutter glasses is absolutly no problem Wink
(2014-03-13, 14:50)b0mb Wrote: 4k only for passive... fullsbs via gpu decoding and with shutter glasses is absolutly no problem Wink

GPU decoding is not available for FSBS and FTAB. Needs a good CPU.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=3D
Section 3.1
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Gotham 3D Issues0