Solved Some ALAC files does not play on 13.0 beta
Greetings!

I run XBMC 12.2 (OpenELEC 3.2.4) on a Raspberry Pi rev B; my media library is stored on a NAS and accessed via NFS. I keep my media as M4V videos (ripped animation DVDs) and ALAC audio (all of my music discs I was able to rip, including few high-definition DVD-Audio discs); media formats are because of devices I use.

Today I installed OpenELEC 3.95.1 Beta with XBMC 13.0 on a spare Pi and made it scan my library (about 80GB of music). More or less media files scans fine, but I didn't compare both libraries. Most of music files, however, does not play on 13.0 beta, including none of high-definition ones. By does not play I mean that song can be started, but timer is stuck and does not move from 00:00. A quick press of fast forward or reverse moves timer with one second, but no music is heard and timer does not increment. Receiver indicates no incoming audio via HDMI (it shows L and R when playback works).

Music has been ripped using XLD, metadata added with MusicBrainz Picard.

My setup: Raspberry Pi -> Receiver (via HDMI) -> TV (via HDMI).

Log and sample files available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/do9qch9iu7kbkvo/BVn0qIddJe ; log recorded on a fresh OpenELEC 3.95.1 install while media files were stored on a locally connected flash drive.

Can make more tests and provide more information, upon request.

Thanks in advance! Keep up the good work!

Update: Works fine in Milhouse's OpenELEC builds.
I'm having the same issue with some high-quality FLAC files. These files played fine on the old OpenELEC (Frodo), and they are also fine on my dad's RaspyFi build. I can provide debug log files if necessary. It seems to be correlated to bitrate, but it is not consistent. There are two albums I have, both at 88.2kHz/24-bit - one plays, the other doesn't. A 96kHz/24-bit album plays.

File size doesn't seem to be a factor.

Locality doesn't change anything, either. I copied one of the files which will not play to my sdcard, and it won't play locally, either.
@606u
I've tested your files and they work with my current newclock3 branch. Can you test a Milhouse gotham build and check they work?

@sarumont if you post a sample file that doesn't play I can test it with my latest changes.
(2014-03-09, 17:01)popcornmix Wrote: @606u
I've tested your files and they work with my current newclock3 branch. Can you test a Milhouse gotham build and check they work?
Tested with OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20140308023729-r17871-g8a2f22b:
  • playback of previously problem files: now working;
  • gapless playback: working;
  • 24-bit 88,2 kHz: now working;
  • 24-bit 96 kHz: now working;
  • 24-bit 192 kHz: stutters, unless full screen with info ribbon hidden and no visualizer, utilization nearly 75% on non-overclocked Pi.
Me happy, thanks! Which version should I test against and report problems with?
There is a patch used by the Milhouse build which improves audio.
I have some additional patches to make multichannel and high sample rates work better.

The "newclock3" builds, like Milhouse's are a test build for new patches. Stick with them if they work better for you.
Hopefully within the next week I'll get a pull request in and the official Gotham Beta builds will be fixed.
I'll use same thread to report another issue: while listening ALAC-encoded CD-quality (16-bit/44 kHz) music playing over NFS, full screen with no visualization and no info ribbon, average utilization is about 25-30% (idle 70-75%). Opening web interface from a PC makes music to start popping, sirq utilization climbs to 10-15%, idle averages about 50%. Opening remote control iOS app on "Now Playing" screen raises sirq utilization to 45-50%, idle drops to below 10% with audible audio pops every now and then. As per top 35-40% CPU is used by libmicrohttpd, kworker and ksoftirqd.

Ideas?
(2014-03-09, 20:03)popcornmix Wrote: There is a patch used by the Milhouse build which improves audio.
I have some additional patches to make multichannel and high sample rates work better.

The "newclock3" builds, like Milhouse's are a test build for new patches. Stick with them if they work better for you.
Hopefully within the next week I'll get a pull request in and the official Gotham Beta builds will be fixed.

Just switched to the latest Milhouse build, and all my audio is playing. Thanks!

I see stuttering as well with 192kHz/24-bit files if I'm doing anything else on the Pi's GUI, but it seems fine (after a quick check) if it's just sitting at the UI/fullscreen vis.
(2014-03-09, 21:55)606u Wrote: I'll use same thread to report another issue: while listening ALAC-encoded CD-quality (16-bit/44 kHz) music playing over NFS, full screen with no visualization and no info ribbon, average utilization is about 25-30% (idle 70-75%). Opening web interface from a PC makes music to start popping, sirq utilization climbs to 10-15%, idle averages about 50%. Opening remote control iOS app on "Now Playing" screen raises sirq utilization to 45-50%, idle drops to below 10% with audible audio pops every now and then. As per top 35-40% CPU is used by libmicrohttpd, kworker and ksoftirqd.

Ideas?
Scratch that -- my bad: forgot to replace files from 3rdparty dir.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some ALAC files does not play on 13.0 beta0