Solved XBMC hanging with more than 1 client
Hi,

I have a slight oddity. Server WMC is working fine for me on 3 different clients (all varieties of NUC) running the OpenElec Gotham Beta (3.95.1). Server WMC is the latest version which was released a few days ago.

The issue is that whilst it works fine with just one client on, the problem comes with more than 1 client. I can start a playback which normally hangs within a minute of starting to play it. I have to do a hard reset to get control back of the client.

Has anyone else experienced this at all please?

Thanks.
By playback do you mean live-tv or ANY type of playback. And does the crash happen when multiple clients are playing back or it just happens if multiple clients are on?

Besides answering the above, post a link to a serverwmc log after a crash.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I'll check this out and get back to you. Everything is fairly hectic at the moment and I don't have too much time for testing. Most of the time just one client is in use.
Some more information on this.

My configuration:

- Server (BENDER): Win 7 running Server WMC as a Service with 4x DVB-S2 tuners
- Client 1: Windows 8.1 running XBMC Gotham Beta (192.168.1.108)
- Client 2: Intel DN2820FYKH NUC running OpenElec 3.95.1 Gotham Beta (192.168.1.103)
- Client 3: Intel DN2820FYKH NUC running OpenElec 3.95.1 Gotham Beta (192.168.1.115)

Through testing C1 managed to continually stream a HD channel with no issues. Clients 2 and 3 had their configurations "restored" through OpenElec to make setting up a lot easier (wondering if there is a conflict somewhere as a result of this).

Clients 2 and 3 work fine so long as the other is not in use.

Having looked at the log file however there is no mention of .103 or .115. In XBMC System info both clients show an IP of 192.168.1.107 which is incorrect. The OpenElec configuration shows the IP correctly.

Now in the log file ServerWMC seems to be creating files using 192.168.1.107. I'm guessing that it is doing this for both clients and hence the problem?

So either I need to figure out how to get XBMC to show the correct IP address or ServerWMC needs to be using another value to set the name of the stream file to create?

Does that sound about right?

Well that has fixed it for me. I found on OpenElec in /config/autostart.sh this content:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.107
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

I manually changed on each box .107 to the correct IP and it is now working without an issue.

I am now concerned however as to what will happen if the IP addresses change. Does anyone know how to tell it just to use DHCP please?
Nice bit of work asm. Is setup really easier if all machines are assigned the same ip address? I guess it makes the address easier to remember Smile.

I don't personally don't know of a way around the dhcp problem. I wouldn't think the ip addresses will change though, now that you set them.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2014-03-12, 16:15)krustyreturns Wrote: Nice bit of work asm. Is setup really easier if all machines are assigned the same ip address? I guess it makes the address easier to remember Smile.

I don't personally don't know of a way around the dhcp problem. I wouldn't think the ip addresses will change though, now that you set them.

I had bought those 2 new NUCs specifically to run as XBMC with WMC backends. I wanted them to be setup exactly the same way (easier for all the family if they are the same) so I got one working and then took an OpenElec backup which I restored to the second box. It seems when you do this it also takes that IP configuration which seems to be later overwritten by OpenElec's network configuration but has then set the wrong IP address in the XBMC System Configuration.

So a lesson for me (and any others who take this approach) is to remember to change the autostart.sh if you duplicate a configuration in this way.
Nice to hear you have it sorted. Quite a funny issue really, as I was wondering what could possibly cause multiple clients to not work. But yes we use their hostname (or IP Address in the case of non windows) to name the stream files (we need to do this so yeah really you just have to have your machines configured correctly to not pretend to be on the same IP!)

I guess those OpenElec backups are normally for restoring back to the same device not "cloning" to a new device

In terms of using DHCP I thought that the OpenElec default was to use DHCP... you could possibly just have to remove the static IP and route from that autostart script and that might do it. Otherwise I guess just google "op[enelec DHCP" and you should find something...

Personally I run DHCP on all my devices but then have my router setup with static DHCP reservations (based on MAC address). This way, my machines always have a consistent IP but no individual/local configuration is required to set it

Also, can you please update your thread type to [Solved] so others browsing the forum don't think we have issues with multiple clients?

Thanks
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
The odd thing was that they were on different IP addresses when they were running, but I think this was OpenElec overwriting the XBMC config. The OpenElec config showed the correct IP whereas XBMC System Info showed the wrong IP which was the same for both of them. Clearly if you make an IP address call against XBMC it returns the one stored in the System Info rather than the one it is actually using!

Thread type changed!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC hanging with more than 1 client0