Can't get transcoding working all of a sudden
Using Gotham Beta 3.

I have XBMC HTPC going to a Denon receiver via HDMI. Denon's HDMI out goes to a TV. TV's optical out to a Yamaha receiver. (Weird setup but necessary in my situation)

I spent a lot of time trying to get the transcoding to work last night so that the TV could send 5.1 ac3 out to the Yamaha. Turned out the missing piece of the puzzle was going into the service menu of the TV and enabling AC3 out for the HDMI inputs. I went to bed with everything finally working. Receiver was showing 5.1 DD when playing movies with DTS or whatever.

Today, I'm back to square one for some reason. While I do get the system/navigation sounds (through both the TV speakers and the Yamaha speakers via optical out from the TV), I don't get any movie/music audio whatsoever from either the tv or the receiver as long as I have passthrough enabled in XBMC, and it doesn't matter if I'm trying to play mp3s, wmas, or movies with AC3 or DTS audio. No audio at all in any playback of any file using any codec, if I have passthrough enabled. With passthrough disabled, I get 2 channel PCM audio playback from any file.

Channels 2.0, output config "optimized", passthrough enabled, ac3 capable receiver, dolby digital transcoding enabled, DTS disabled. I have not touched these settings since last night. What could have happened? I can't even get audio output of 2 channel music anymore.

Any ideas as to what I'm overlooking before I start digging into debug logs?
Also seemingly strange: With all above settings identical, if I change "number of channels" to 5.1, I get audio to the TV and to the receiver, although it's just 2 channel PCM. Switch number of channels back to 2.0, and nothing from tv or receiver.

Basically, if XBMC is doing any kind of passthrough, even if only of native AC3 which the TV supports, neither the TV nor the receiver get any audio at all. And this just started today.
At this point I think it must be a Windows thing. I tried again later and it worked, receiver shows 5.1 ac3 coming in. No settings have changed. I'm using WASAPI devices, I thought the whole point of that was to bypass Windows goofiness.
(2014-11-29, 18:37)jubilex Wrote: Using Gotham Beta 3.

That could be your problem. Get up to date. 13.2
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't get transcoding working all of a sudden0