HELP - IR Receiver + IR Keyboard -Where to start!?
Thank you for taking the time to read my question, I will try to explain what it is I'm trying to do as best as possible so that anyone who might be able to help me will be able to point me in the right direction.

I have the following...

HARDWARE
-USB Sony IR Receiver (Came with a Multimedia PC but I only have this IR Box and a IR Transmitter that plugs into it)
-Model: PCVA-IR6U

-Wireless IR Keyboard - I only have this Keyboard, not the receiver or anything else
-Model: FTRIR9703

SOFTWARE
-Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Core2Duo) 3GB of RAM 120GB SSD Drive 2TB External eSATA Drive
-WinLirc (I've been playing with this, think I understand it's setup)
-XBMC 12
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I only have the Sony IR Receiver and the Wireless IR Keyboard and they both work as far as I can tell, I have no reason to think they don't. The IR Receiver installs fine in Windows 7 as "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" under USB Controllers, and I was playing with the WinLirc program learning buttons from a universal remote that I programs to be a MCE remote. I am almost sure I successfully created a config file for my universal remote by programming each button in WinLirc using it's learning feature to create config. I then attempted to use the XBMC Utility that works with WinLIRC so that it talks with XBMC after you match up the key presses with the config. I then moved the keyboard.xml file into where it should be and rebooted the PC. I launched XBMC but it still didn't respond to anything, WinLIRC app was launched and everytime I pressed a button the green LED on the windows taskbar did light up, so it's just not communicating with XBMC.

Now - Basically I want to skip over using the remote all together now, I want to use this keyboard instead. I want to somehow setup the IR Receiver to work with this keyboard which in turn I can then use for XBMC.

Is is possible to use WinLirc or any other program to learn each button press freq. from this IR Keyboard so that I can use it with WindowsHuh? Even if I can't use it for Windows but still able to use it within XBMC, that's my ultimate goal with it.

Any help is appreciated!
Thank you all very much!!
-Mac
Give eventghost a try.
Quote:I then moved the keyboard.xml file into where it should be

If you are using the xbmc winlirc utility the keyboard xml should be in the same folder as the utility app. The utility app basically translates winlirc -> xbmc keys so it also must be running to do this.

The event client thing kind of works the other way around to winlirc. Apps connect to winlirc, but with the xbmc event client model, the remote has to connect to xbmc.
WinLIRC, the Windows port of LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control):
http://winlirc.sourceforge.net
Active development of the WinLIRC package:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winlirc/
LIRC config files for supported remote controls:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/
Ok GOOD NEWS Actually!! My first Go with the IR Receiver was actually with a Universal Remote Control that was issued to me by a Cable Provider (Comcast), and to this day I swear some of the remotes they give are the best ones! When I cancelled service and turned everything in I kept the 5 Remotes I had and paid the $15 fee, which was well worth it! But I think they started catching on because I noticed the remotes they give you now only has Cable and TV and for TV it's VERY limited. The older ones would have; Aux, DVD, TV, CBL and had every button you needed for every device you programmed it for! <- Sorry off topic.

Anyways I programmed the Universal Remote Control I had with the Code for MCE, and then did the "Learning" via WinLIRC to create a Config which worked fine. Then the next step was running the XBMC Utility which was no problem, moved the files to where they needed to be and after I rebooted it worked perfect.
I was able to use my Universal Remote to navigate my way through XBMC No Problem, the only thing it was missing was the ability to type out on the remote (Which is not a big deal because XBMX Displays an On Screen Keyboard).

Since I had that all figured out I figured I could do the same thing with this Wireless IR Keyboard now, but after spending a couple of hours trying different things when it comes to decoding the IR signal from the keyboard it seems to be confused (WinLIRC) When I go through the "Learning" portion of WinLIRC where I have to type in the Name of the Key - And then hit Enter - Then Hold down that key on the keyboard - I end up getting an error "Something Went Wrong". Which is a shame because this old kit would be perfect! I actually found some on EBay that once I come up with some money I'd like to buy a set to use with my XBMC System.

Thanks a lot everyone for reading and helping me out!!

-Mac

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HELP - IR Receiver + IR Keyboard -Where to start!?0