Gotham nightly.
I am using Gotham beta 1 like many but I am wondering if I should download nightlies to get bug fixes or just stick with beta releases. I thought Gotham had an auto update feature anyways unless that is saved for the final version. Beta 1 has been pretty solid, the only bug I've seen is if I alt tab to Windows I can't return to XBMC. Do those of you with enough guts to use the nightlies find them to run better or do they often break things? I know there's a feature freeze so I won't see anything new. In fact, I'd bet only 1 or 2 more betas are needed before release. I guess my question is do most stick with beta 1 or use nightlies?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
No, there's no auto-update feature.

Nightlies are currently being taken from the Gotham branch, thus are Beta1 + fixes. i.e. they *shouldn't* break anything.

Future beta's will be cut from the current nightlies as soon as we feel we're at a point where enough (important) fixes are in to warrant an update, as we realize that most users don't want to constantly update, so it's a trade-off between frequency and fixes.

Thus, if you wish to have the most stable build, that's the current nightly. But if nothings currently wrong with your B1 install, then no need to change it Smile

The list of changes can be found here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/compare/Got...1...Gotham

(Once Gotham is final, nightlies will go back to being 'experimental' as larger changes (thus more chance of bugs) are allowed in).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I've been using the nightly builds for quite some time and I find the recent few to be the most stable. I'll never understand the settings ordering as a lot of things seem to be in the wrong areas (especially for a new users) but it's not my place to really say anything about that so ignore that comment.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
It's exactly your place as a new user to point out where you think things could be improved, those of us who've used xbmc for many years can become blinkered without realising it, so it takes a new perspective to point out where something doesn't make sense. As long as when you're posting any feedback it's done in a polite manner and is respectful of the dev's work then we welcome anything users have to say.
Where can I make this suggestion? Would a PM be OK, initially?

Would probably be best if you made a new thread posted in this General Help section so everyone can see it, might encourage others to give feedback as well.
A lot of recently work in the nightlies went into configuration options and how we display them. By all means help us improve it Smile
I get the feeling i'm being immensely stupid however could someone tell me where the Gotham nightly PPA is? I keep reading that we should carry on using the Gotham nightly builds but ever since the beta was released ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly is 14.0-Alpha1.

Cheers
(2014-03-13, 03:11)jmarshall Wrote: Nightlies are currently being taken from the Gotham branch, thus are Beta1 + fixes. i.e. they *shouldn't* break anything.

Even though it says Alpha 1 it is still a nightly, I believe that is what jmarshall is saying.
In Linux is

unstable ppa, -->> has gotham beta1 + fixes so its v13beta#

nightly ppa --->> Master branch is v14alpha1

though at this very moment - I dont think there's much difference in master vs gotham code except for beta/alpha tags but I cant be sure exactly.
(2014-03-13, 13:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Would probably be best if you made a new thread posted in this General Help section so everyone can see it, might encourage others to give feedback as well.

I'll make a post but that didn't go so well last time.

(2014-03-13, 14:38)Saner Wrote:
(2014-03-13, 03:11)jmarshall Wrote: Nightlies are currently being taken from the Gotham branch, thus are Beta1 + fixes. i.e. they *shouldn't* break anything.

Even though it says Alpha 1 it is still a nightly, I believe that is what jmarshall is saying.

Thanks, hoping this is the case and 14.0alpha builds are currently the Gotham 13 nightlies.

(2014-03-13, 14:42)uNiversal Wrote: In Linux is

unstable ppa, -->> has gotham beta1 + fixes so its v13beta#

nightly ppa --->> Master branch is v14alpha1

though at this very moment - I dont think there's much difference in master vs gotham code except for beta/alpha tags but I cant be sure exactly.

Cheers, so far when using the unstable PPA i've not had any updates since beta1, so i'm not getting updates/fixes with this.

I guess its also possible that the Gotham nightlies aren't available via PPA anymore and we should compile from the GitHub Gotham branch? There does appear to be differences between master and Gotham branch commits now.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Sorry could you confirm this because the nightlies appear to be taken from Master and not the Gotham branch?

After this i'll shut up, i'm just a little confused. Huh
(2014-03-13, 13:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Would probably be best if you made a new thread posted in this General Help section so everyone can see it, might encourage others to give feedback as well.

(2014-03-13, 13:37)zag Wrote: A lot of recently work in the nightlies went into configuration options and how we display them. By all means help us improve it Smile

I made the post, took almost an hour (damn BB code) but I think it's as clear as I can put forward.

Ubuntu ppa builds are up to whatever they want to use. If they say 14 alpha1 then they're taken from master. There is currently only 1 commit in Gotham that isn't in master (an ffmpeg backport).

Builds generated by jenkins (our buildbot) available from mirrors.xbmc.org have nightlies coming from the Gotham branch with v13 B1 currently. B2 out shortly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I could very well be), in the past a branch was only made after the final release was made, so people are used to always building master.

This time around the branch was made at v13 Beta 1 and master's version number was changed to v14 Alpha 1.

This really isn't a big deal, and for the most part the two branches will actually be the same, but at the same time it causes confusion (for both users and builders) because people assume that we're following last year's pattern, and there really is no notice or anything explaining which branch to use. The fact that our own Team XBMC PPAs are building nightlies with master and not Gotham is an indication of how easy such confusion can be.

What's done is done, so just spread the word that until v13.0 is released builders/users should use the Gotham branch, but if you're using a nightly still from Master, don't sweat it too much, it will probably still work just the same way (more or less).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham nightly.0