• 2(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
The above makes sense and is a good idea, but personally I see little use of this feature. I could be totally wrong.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-03-13, 18:58)Piers Wrote: Updated Option Two with the above suggestions, please review and see if that fits in with what you were saying.

(2014-03-13, 18:53)uNiversal Wrote: I know this is not a individual settings topic, but I was wondering why clean library options on both video/music isn't moved from settings to the fly-out menu and placed under update library option that now lives there. I suppose thers a good reson for keeping it in settings and the only reason is cean library in music only cleans music and video clean library option only cleans videos, but Im sure you can make it content aware.

The Clean Library option could be placed under Media Manager/Management for Music and Video sections... that would also de-clutter and make the menu even more intuitive

Yes, but why cant the option live under the update library option in flyout? Is there some reason why you need to navigate anywhere for these when they could just be available on the flyout?
(2014-03-14, 13:02)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-03-13, 18:58)Piers Wrote: Updated Option Two with the above suggestions, please review and see if that fits in with what you were saying.

(2014-03-13, 18:53)uNiversal Wrote: I know this is not a individual settings topic, but I was wondering why clean library options on both video/music isn't moved from settings to the fly-out menu and placed under update library option that now lives there. I suppose thers a good reson for keeping it in settings and the only reason is cean library in music only cleans music and video clean library option only cleans videos, but Im sure you can make it content aware.

The Clean Library option could be placed under Media Manager/Management for Music and Video sections... that would also de-clutter and make the menu even more intuitive

Yes, but why cant the option live under the update library option in flyout? Is there some reason why you need to navigate anywhere for these when they could just be available on the flyout?

I agree, that would also work just as well.

So far 3 members from Team XBMC have commented, maybe a few could as well as some more users. From what I can see, the general consensus is that Option Two might be workable and a good way forward.

Im all for making xbmc settings consistent, accessible and more intuitive. Its a great post and tbh you waited way too long to spit it out.
(2014-03-14, 14:04)uNiversal Wrote: Im all for making xbmc settings consistent, accessible and more intuitive. Its a great post and tbh you waited way too long to spit it out.

Well, I didn't join the forum until I'd been using XBMC for well over a year, then I only posted very slowly. Now I feel like part of the community, a bit, so thought that I would mention the idea with a hope that it would be implemented. Thank you btw Smile

One thing that's bothered me for some time is Region should IMO be in System. i.e. System is where you go to setup all the stuff you need only touch once.

Appearance is then basically just picking the skin, and options around that (a bunch of which can probably be removed).

I like the idea of splitting playback from library type management though. Certainly something that can be built on. I think we'd need to leave the number of layers at 2, however.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-03-15, 01:48)jmarshall Wrote: One thing that's bothered me for some time is Region should IMO be in System. i.e. System is where you go to setup all the stuff you need only touch once.

Appearance is then basically just picking the skin, and options around that (a bunch of which can probably be removed).

I like the idea of splitting playback from library type management though. Certainly something that can be built on. I think we'd need to leave the number of layers at 2, however.

This seems more practical. I'll create a third option with a reverted Option Two and moving the Region area to System.

I've created the third option, taking suggestions from all and trying to keep the main level menu items below 9 (as it is currently). I've put CDs and DVDs under Playback as I don't see a need for them to be in a different area. Also Media Manager/Management can handle both Library options as well as File List options.

Opinions?

I've created a rough mock-up of what the Settings area would look like in Confluence.

My thinking on the 3rd layer was to keep wording of each playback setting category as short as possible but obviously at the expense at having an extra layer to navigate.

For example:

Playback -> Video Acceleration

I wasn't sure how "Video Acceleration" would look length wise in the GUI hence the extra layer

Playback -> Video -> Acceleration

to allow usage of the shorter "Acceleration".

I also thought as well as keeping the wording short it made sense to group them by media type.

Shorter wording was also the reason for "Media Manager" rather than "Media Management" but looking at that mock up wording length may not be an issue so "Media Management" would better after all.

Since wording length might not be an issue that needs consideration, then I have no strong preference between options 2 & 3. If we were to go ahead with something like this it probably needs the thoughts of a skinner on what's the best way.
(2014-03-15, 09:31)jjd-uk Wrote: My thinking on the 3rd layer was to keep wording of each playback setting category as short as possible but obviously at the expense at having an extra layer to navigate.

For example:

Playback -> Video Acceleration

I wasn't sure how "Video Acceleration" would look length wise in the GUI hence the extra layer

Playback -> Video -> Acceleration

to allow usage of the shorter "Acceleration".

I'm still a little curious as to why Acceleration needs its own section, it's a change I see a step backwards.

I also thought as well as keeping the wording short it made sense to group them by media type.

Shorter wording was also the reason for "Media Manager" rather than "Media Management" but looking at that mock up wording length may not be an issue so "Media Management" would better after all.

Totally agree.

Since wording length might not be an issue that needs consideration, then I have no strong preference between options 2 & 3. If we were to go ahead with something like this it probably needs the thoughts of a skinner on what's the best way.

Again I agree, I would also think more members of Team XBMC would need to share their opinions. Although, not really sure of the Team structure.

(2014-03-15, 10:14)Piers Wrote: I'm still a little curious as to why Acceleration needs its own section, it's a change I see a step backwards.

Sorry perhaps I was clear enough, I meant:

- Playback ( ---- indicates secondary menu as suggested by jjd-uk)
- Live TV
- Music
---- CDs
---- General
---- Karaoke
- Video
---- Acceleration
---- General
---- DVDs
---- Subtitles

Versus:

Playback
- Audio CDs
- DVDs
- Live TV
- Music
- Karaoke
- Video
- Video Acceleration
- Subtitles

Allows the shorter use of just "Acceleration" but as I say having a long string like "Video Acceleration" maybe a total non-issue. If you've the inclination then might be useful to see a mock of the Playback section using Option 3.
(2014-03-15, 10:27)jjd-uk Wrote: Allows the shorter use of just "Acceleration" but as I say having a long string like "Video Acceleration" maybe a total non-issue. If you've the inclination then might be useful to see a mock of the Playback section using Option 3.

The cut/paste/hacked-up job below might not be anywhere near perfect, but the font size is 100% accurate and using the Clonfluence font.

And here's another test - I've not bothered with the rest of the menu but have used the Amber skin font (UbuntuCondensed.ttf) with the correct sizing - purely to check if the two longer phrases will fit, they do.

And another from the Ace skin, again using the same skin font and matching sizing - also again only using the two longest phrases.

Ditto the above text, Black Glass Nova skin, same font etc.

Ok, I was worried about things becoming squashed with those long strings but doesn't seem to be an issue going by those mock ups, so perhaps Option 3 is the way forward if this is taken on.
Another idea related to this since the settings refactor was started.. Why not hardcode the settings buttons, move all the labels (namely label2) to XBMC core and add the description text to Settings.xml as well? Every skin could share the same basic structure and you wouldn't have a different implementation between every skin. Skinsettings.xml would still be completely skinnable.

This is going to get a lot of objections since many of the skins have customised settings screens, but i'm throwing it on the table anyway.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0