Integrating an external application with XBMC
Hi guys,

I'm working on a standalone, full-fledged Spotify client for media center computers, and I'd like to launch it from XBMC. Unfortunately, when I use Advanced Launcher, XBMC is still a huge resource hog running in the background, slowing down my application on low-end hardware. Hence, I'm investigating the possibility of writing a simple addon that somehow reduces the work XBMC is doing in the background while my application is on top. Which brings me to this forum post. I'm a little familiar with Python, but I'm not familiar with writing addons.

I looked through the API docs for the upcoming XBMC Gotham, and I couldn't find any obvious way to reduce the load XBMC puts on the system (heck, just minimizing it or somehow pausing the rendering process might be enough). I did however find xbmcgui.lock() and .unlock(), but I suspect locking the GUI for long intervals is a no-no?

I guess what I ultimately want to do is suspend any XBMC GUI operations while keeping any web servers and interfaces up while my application is on top. Is this possible?

PS: I'm also considering integration with XBMC - is it possible to let the XBMC Player interface display duration, track, artist etc. using data from my application instead of playing it through XBMC?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrating an external application with XBMC0