Improving Performance for Live TV/Active Recordings
I agree, but there is no way to tell xbmc that.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
There has to be! Otherwise, how does XBMC know how long a streaming file is??

When I watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report using the plug-in to stream the file from TDS/TCR's web-site, XBMC knows how long the file is well before it has been downloaded, so something tells XBMC how long the file is going to be!
I think it is probing the file itself when we hand the path to the stream file to xbmc. So it when it sees a small file (ts) the small file size seems to stick in xbmc, even though the file is growing rapidly. That's why scarecrow had the idea to just automatically generate ts files for anything recording. The same think happens for a live-tv stream, but in that case xbmc doesn't behave the same way, I assume because it expects the streamed file to be growing.
Why not just do a switcheroo?

Create a large .ts file with 30 minutes of blank video, point XBMC to it, start playing, and one second later create a new file with the actual content?

Or create a file with 30 minutes of blank video and then edit/update the file with the actual content as it comes in. This would be akin to creating a 90 pages MS Word document and then going back to page 1 and start typing.
I'll give it a try.
Active recording success! The 'switcheroo' didn't work, but it got me going in the right direction (that and borrowing ideas from scarecrow). It will require a client change, but the timing is good as scarecrow's radio stuff requires a client change too. Need to do some more testing but its looking very good so far.
It will be great if this is fixed. Although Live TV worked fine we had issues (skip, fast forward not working plus some stuttering) when trying to watch a recording that was still recording.
Hi guys. Great work on this project. This is the closest thing I've seen to replicating the WAF achieved by WMC.

That said, I just thought I'd note that I also have skip back issues with live tv. There seemed to be some debate about whether this was an issue or not - and for me at least it is. It surprising how often we used it in WMC - you don't realise that sort of thing until it's gone. Pause and resume work without issue, but I'm getting the same result as posted above when trying to jump forward and back on LiveTV.

Is there any further information that I could provide that could help diagnose what's going on here?
Skip back works for me with live tv. Are you sure you aren't just mapping the livetv skip buttons incorrectly?
Yeah the default key mappings in LiveTV do not bind left and right arrows to skip back/forward, i think they are Channel Group -/+ by default. It's not clear if you are saying they dont work at all (possibly keybind related) or they are not behaving nicely?

I went back and re-read the thread since it's been a while now, but all the OP said was it "doesnt work as expected" and also grouped LiveTV and active recordings in one sentence. We know active recordings had an issue because XBMC didnt seem to re-evaluate the file size like it does with LiveTV, and only ever saw a few seconds ahead of the current position, even if the remuxed TS file was much bigger... this issue with active recordings looks to be resolved in the next build we will release. So specifically talking about LiveTV can you work through an example and explain what happens for you? Make sure your keybinds are correctly setup for skipping and then start a live stream, pause for 10 minutes, then skip ahead, skip back, FF, RW... let us know what happens with each action... I will do the same tonight, but last time I tried im pretty sure it worked fine.
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
I've got instructions on how to re-map the remote to allow skip forward and skip back to work, even in Live TV, in the walk-through (which is sticky'd).

(2014-03-21, 06:21)scarecrow420 Wrote: Yeah the default key mappings in LiveTV do not bind left and right arrows to skip back/forward, i think they are Channel Group -/+ by default. It's not clear if you are saying they dont work at all (possibly keybind related) or they are not behaving nicely?

I went back and re-read the thread since it's been a while now, but all the OP said was it "doesnt work as expected" and also grouped LiveTV and active recordings in one sentence. We know active recordings had an issue because XBMC didnt seem to re-evaluate the file size like it does with LiveTV, and only ever saw a few seconds ahead of the current position, even if the remuxed TS file was much bigger... this issue with active recordings looks to be resolved in the next build we will release. So specifically talking about LiveTV can you work through an example and explain what happens for you? Make sure your keybinds are correctly setup for skipping and then start a live stream, pause for 10 minutes, then skip ahead, skip back, FF, RW... let us know what happens with each action... I will do the same tonight, but last time I tried im pretty sure it worked fine.
Will try that when I get home. Using the new key mappings was going to be the exercise for tonight anyhow. If that's the solution, I'll fess up and issue a mea culpa. Thanks for the pointer.
With the key mappings done properly, it's working really nicely. Can't get the one-touch recording thing working though - but I've posted on the other sticky for that issue (which is probably just another simple error of mine!)

So with that non-issue fixed, apart from the channel change time - I think you guys have come up with a winner.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improving Performance for Live TV/Active Recordings0