OS X XBMC maintaining control of remote?
Is there a way to keep other programs from taking control of the remote away from XBMC?
Example: I have my harmony remote working with XBMC but then i open EyeTV or Plex (by mistake of course!) and when i switch back to XBMC, i have to go to System->Input Devices and scroll through the options again so the Harmony will work with XBMC.
This sometimes happens on a system start, XBMC will not recognize the remote as a Harmony ( and i get the system volume control when i press up/down).

Is there a way to lock in remote to only work with XBMC?
Yes and no. Apple made it weird for apps that want to use the remote. It's a bit of a wrestling match with OSX and the remote. Remote Buddy and similar software can sometimes help in these situations.
Thanks, thats what i figured. I was just hoping there would be some script/setting that would be like "only let XBMC have control of the harmony." Smile
Apple remote code appears to be a black art. In my view it requires some dev time to get right and keep right as apple change their code (eg mavericks). I found the apple remote worked flawlessly with xbmc under mountain lion (with eyetv too).

You could try some testing with eyetv and vlc - vlc is also open source and supports apple remote. If vlc works with the remote after you quit eyetv then xbmc is the issue and we can beg one of the apple devs to look at the code again!

There is a lot on this forum about apple remote - for some of us nothing fixes the issues or they are intermittent ..

To get time you need to prepare a detailed report and debug logs... (See faqs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC maintaining control of remote?0