• 3(current)
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]
here is a test init script with the network changes. just replace /etc/init/xbmc.conf with this and see if it fixes your issues with no autologin and the guy with no network

Code:
# xbmc standalone service

# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# will try to auto respawn for 5 mins if it crashes
# launches xbmc in the "standalone mode" with no xcursor (cursor in xbmc still works)
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC standalone service"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (started dbus and started mountall and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn
respawn limit 10 5

# nice level
limit nice 21 21

script
  exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER
end script

if that doesnt work change

Code:
exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER

with

Code:
exec su -c "sleep 3 ; xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER

I pushed the above init script with the network start on dependency to my git so anyone who runs the script from now on will be grabbing the updated version. so if you havent installed yet no need to copy and paste this one
Just used the script to install XBMC on my i3 Haswell NUC, so far so good. Everything is running smoothly, installed Gotham Beta 2, and it's working like a champ. Just have to do some tweaking to get the remote working correctly.

Thanks for your effort.
Same here - just installed it on i3 Haswell. All goes smoothly. Only thing is XBMC stays on version 13-alpha11 and does not update to Beta2.
apt-get keep saying this is the latest version.
Any hint?

Thanks a lot for good job done.
(2014-03-27, 22:39)Dasiyes Wrote: Same here - just installed it on i3 Haswell. All goes smoothly. Only thing is XBMC stays on version 13-alpha11 and does not update to Beta2.
apt-get keep saying this is the latest version.
Any hint?

Thanks a lot for good job done.

thats strange? what version ubuntu you on? seems like xbmc forgot to update their ppa for a specific release version.
ubuntu shows 13.04....
I have just went through your whole procedure for a clean install on an old Dell D610 laptop (which has an ATI X300 video card) with Ubuntu 13.10 32-bit. I installed with the oss driver. I don't know if that's the problem, or if it's something else.. But after rebooting the system didn't come up into xbmc. It booted to the login prompt. When I tried ctrl+alt+F7 it has a black screen that says "* Starting" on it, and turns black then comes back to the same thing about every 30 seconds.. I tried adding the sleep 3, and it didn't help. I'm not sure if this issue is with the oss driver, or something else on my system. (I did use xbmc as the hostname, username, and password).

I'm quite familiar with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but I'm not as experienced on a command line with Ubuntu. The config files and directory structure is different. I'm happy to try any suggestions you might have though.

This system isn't too important to me, I was using it as a test bed before I blow away a problematic windows install with an nvidia card in it.. I just wanted to know what I'm doing first.

Thanks!
Jon
the script has only been tested by me with nvidia cards so i dont know. its probably the scripts fault. try the oss vdpau how to that is stickyed at the top of this thread just skip over the whole initial prep for installing xbmc just skip to the kernel section and setting up grub etc
(2014-03-28, 20:20)jbeige Wrote: I have just went through your whole procedure for a clean install on an old Dell D610 laptop (which has an ATI X300 video card) with Ubuntu 13.10 32-bit. I installed with the oss driver. I don't know if that's the problem, or if it's something else.. But after rebooting the system didn't come up into xbmc. It booted to the login prompt. When I tried ctrl+alt+F7 it has a black screen that says "* Starting" on it, and turns black then comes back to the same thing about every 30 seconds.. I tried adding the sleep 3, and it didn't help. I'm not sure if this issue is with the oss driver, or something else on my system. (I did use xbmc as the hostname, username, and password).

I'm quite familiar with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but I'm not as experienced on a command line with Ubuntu. The config files and directory structure is different. I'm happy to try any suggestions you might have though.

This system isn't too important to me, I was using it as a test bed before I blow away a problematic windows install with an nvidia card in it.. I just wanted to know what I'm doing first.

Thanks!
Jon

I get the login prompt as well with ATI. Any ideas?
Thanks for the hard work by the way.
ssh into the computer.

Code:
ps aux | grep X

take a note of which tty the X server is starting on

Code:
sudo service xbmc stop
sudo mv /etc/init/tty1.conf /etc/init/tty1.conf.orig
sudo service xbmc start
Kodi Leia v18.6 Android | Sony Bravia KD-65X9000E
Kodi Leia v18.6 X86-64 | ASRock ION 330-BD Intel Dual Core Atom 1.6GHz | 4GB RAM | HDMI Display | Analogue Audio | Flirc IR
Hi.
Im using the script to install under Ubuntu server 13.10 (fresh basic install)
It seems to work. I get the splash screen but after that the screen goes black and nothing happens.
Some harware information
Pioneer PDP5080XD plasma tv HD-ready 50"
yamaha RX-V671 reciever
Nvidia graphics

Using the same exact setup it works fine installing openelec.

I have tried all nvidia drivers provided in the script and both resolutions for hdready (i hope its ok to run the script several times)

Im guessing it is just a small thing that has gone wrong and I need to change a setting somewhere.
Parhaps something with the resolution but my knowledge is not enough so pleace help me.

Best regards
Fredrik
(2014-03-30, 05:02)fuggin Wrote: ssh into the computer.

Code:
ps aux | grep X

take a note of which tty the X server is starting on

Code:
sudo service xbmc stop
sudo mv /etc/init/tty1.conf /etc/init/tty1.conf.orig
sudo service xbmc start

I tried this, but there was no instance of X running.
(2014-03-30, 02:54)Cosmo_Kramer Wrote: I get the login prompt as well with ATI. Any ideas?

Hi. I also had this issue and it was caused by a incorrect user setting in /etc/init/xbmc.conf. In my case I was not using xbmc as the user.

As a suggestion for Hack_kid, the user should not to be hardcoded to xbmc in https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubu...t_script_2.
Hi,

Perfect that you took the script of Bram77 and kept it alive, i still love to use it whenever i reinstall XBMC.
Also the additional's you implemented are great, like the default settings on the sensors, alto it won't readout my NVidia graphics cards temp.
I hope this script will stay alive for a long time, as it still produces the fastest XBMC experience from all others out there.
(2014-04-02, 22:43)maximi Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 02:54)Cosmo_Kramer Wrote: I get the login prompt as well with ATI. Any ideas?

Hi. I also had this issue and it was caused by a incorrect user setting in /etc/init/xbmc.conf. In my case I was not using xbmc as the user.

As a suggestion for Hack_kid, the user should not to be hardcoded to xbmc in https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubu...t_script_2.

bram77 tried that way back and all it did was cause problems. it says in the directions in the FIRST PAGE that the username xbmc is required

(2014-04-03, 06:54)Sevennl Wrote: Hi,

Perfect that you took the script of Bram77 and kept it alive, i still love to use it whenever i reinstall XBMC.
Also the additional's you implemented are great, like the default settings on the sensors, alto it won't readout my NVidia graphics cards temp.
I hope this script will stay alive for a long time, as it still produces the fastest XBMC experience from all others out there.

i think the no gpu temp is because, when you run sensors-detect. the default uption for add found moudles to modproble blah blah is NO and normally everyone would type yes for everything

re run

sensors-detect and make sure you select yes at the end where it shows the modules it picked up i bet it will work.

it works for the majority without having to do that though i think
(2014-04-04, 11:06)Hack_kid Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 22:43)maximi Wrote:

bram77 tried that way back and all it did was cause problems. it says in the directions in the FIRST PAGE that the username xbmc is required

(2014-04-03, 06:54)Sevennl Wrote: Hi,

i think the no gpu temp is because, when you run sensors-detect. the default uption for add found moudles to modproble blah blah is NO and normally everyone would type yes for everything

re run

sensors-detect and make sure you select yes at the end where it shows the modules it picked up i bet it will work.

it works for the majority without having to do that though i think

Thanks for the script, managed to get to work with a few caveats.

1. nVidia driver selection - the 304.xx works, the other 2 options once installed won't give any hardware acceleration and all options associated with hardware acceleration missing in XBMC gui, this shouldn't be the case though as these driver versions work fine on my card outside of this script (This is on a GT430)
2. tvheadend PPA jabbors isn't working, you'd be best off adding the official one rather than the one included which is nearly a year out of date regardless.
3. What's the point in the enhanced motorola keymap thingy, can't see that being useful for anyone except the odd person and will cause more problems than worth for others.
4. Might want to update guide to include how to get the IP address of the machine for further configuration by SSH.
5. Might be a good idea if the tvheadend thing is to be included, to include automation of the dvb media tree thingy with all the drivers (not sure if realistic though as firmware is needed for a lot of adapters, plus lots of dependencies)
6. Missing xbmc-pvr-addons, causes a crash and freeze when enabling "Live-TV" without said addons.
7. GPU temp sensor not working for me, I'd hazard a guess that it's actually the majority that this not working for.
8. Probs best making the installation of XBMC Gotham the default as it's got more fixes than it has bugs relative the official frodo at this point in time.

Thanks again good work though, certainly will save me some time going forward after having worked out what to and what not to use Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]3