• 4(current)
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]
(2014-04-04, 15:13)robo989 Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 11:06)Hack_kid Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 22:43)maximi Wrote: Hi. I also had this issue and it was caused by a incorrect user setting in /etc/init/xbmc.conf. In my case I was not using xbmc as the user.

As a suggestion for Hack_kid, the user should not to be hardcoded to xbmc in https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubu...t_script_2.

bram77 tried that way back and all it did was cause problems. it says in the directions in the FIRST PAGE that the username xbmc is required

(2014-04-03, 06:54)Sevennl Wrote: Hi,

Perfect that you took the script of Bram77 and kept it alive, i still love to use it whenever i reinstall XBMC.
Also the additional's you implemented are great, like the default settings on the sensors, alto it won't readout my NVidia graphics cards temp.
I hope this script will stay alive for a long time, as it still produces the fastest XBMC experience from all others out there.

i think the no gpu temp is because, when you run sensors-detect. the default uption for add found moudles to modproble blah blah is NO and normally everyone would type yes for everything

re run

sensors-detect and make sure you select yes at the end where it shows the modules it picked up i bet it will work.

it works for the majority without having to do that though i think

Thanks for the script, managed to get to work with a few caveats.

1. nVidia driver selection - the 304.xx works, the other 2 options once installed won't give any hardware acceleration and all options associated with hardware acceleration missing in XBMC gui, this shouldn't be the case though as these driver versions work fine on my card outside of this script (This is on a GT430)
2. tvheadend PPA jabbors isn't working, you'd be best off adding the official one rather than the one included which is nearly a year out of date regardless.
3. What's the point in the enhanced motorola keymap thingy, can't see that being useful for anyone except the odd person and will cause more problems than worth for others.
4. Might want to update guide to include how to get the IP address of the machine for further configuration by SSH.
5. Might be a good idea if the tvheadend thing is to be included, to include automation of the dvb media tree thingy with all the drivers (not sure if realistic though as firmware is needed for a lot of adapters, plus lots of dependencies)
6. Missing xbmc-pvr-addons, causes a crash and freeze when enabling "Live-TV" without said addons.
7. GPU temp sensor not working for me, I'd hazard a guess that it's actually the majority that this not working for.
8. Probs best making the installation of XBMC Gotham the default as it's got more fixes than it has bugs relative the official frodo at this point in time.

Thanks again good work though, certainly will save me some time going forward after having worked out what to and what not to use Smile

regarding #6. how would i go about doing that? just another apt-get package? i dont have PVR setup so never bothered
(2014-04-04, 23:57)Hack_kid Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 15:13)robo989 Wrote:
(2014-04-04, 11:06)Hack_kid Wrote: bram77 tried that way back and all it did was cause problems. it says in the directions in the FIRST PAGE that the username xbmc is required

i think the no gpu temp is because, when you run sensors-detect. the default uption for add found moudles to modproble blah blah is NO and normally everyone would type yes for everything

re run

sensors-detect and make sure you select yes at the end where it shows the modules it picked up i bet it will work.

it works for the majority without having to do that though i think

Thanks for the script, managed to get to work with a few caveats.

1. nVidia driver selection - the 304.xx works, the other 2 options once installed won't give any hardware acceleration and all options associated with hardware acceleration missing in XBMC gui, this shouldn't be the case though as these driver versions work fine on my card outside of this script (This is on a GT430)
2. tvheadend PPA jabbors isn't working, you'd be best off adding the official one rather than the one included which is nearly a year out of date regardless.
3. What's the point in the enhanced motorola keymap thingy, can't see that being useful for anyone except the odd person and will cause more problems than worth for others.
4. Might want to update guide to include how to get the IP address of the machine for further configuration by SSH.
5. Might be a good idea if the tvheadend thing is to be included, to include automation of the dvb media tree thingy with all the drivers (not sure if realistic though as firmware is needed for a lot of adapters, plus lots of dependencies)
6. Missing xbmc-pvr-addons, causes a crash and freeze when enabling "Live-TV" without said addons.
7. GPU temp sensor not working for me, I'd hazard a guess that it's actually the majority that this not working for.
8. Probs best making the installation of XBMC Gotham the default as it's got more fixes than it has bugs relative the official frodo at this point in time.

Thanks again good work though, certainly will save me some time going forward after having worked out what to and what not to use Smile

regarding #6. how would i go about doing that? just another apt-get package? i dont have PVR setup so never bothered

Hi,
Just as super user "apt-get install xbmc-pvr-addons" , it's that simple they are in the standard official PPAs
Personally though if you want support for tvheadend specifically there's a new addon for it that will eventually take over from the one included in the official XBMC repos.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187521
It's far superior and in it's current state is more stable.

Sorry this is likely not really where you wanted this to go so I'll put a sock in it Smile
Thanks again for the script.
(2014-04-03, 06:54)Sevennl Wrote: Hi,

Perfect that you took the script of Bram77 and kept it alive, i still love to use it whenever i reinstall XBMC.
Also the additional's you implemented are great, like the default settings on the sensors, alto it won't readout my NVidia graphics cards temp.
I hope this script will stay alive for a long time, as it still produces the fastest XBMC experience from all others out there.

I got this with using the user xbmc.
(2014-03-26, 08:30)Hack_kid Wrote: here is a test init script with the network changes. just replace /etc/init/xbmc.conf with this and see if it fixes your issues with no autologin and the guy with no network

Code:
# xbmc standalone service

# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# will try to auto respawn for 5 mins if it crashes
# launches xbmc in the "standalone mode" with no xcursor (cursor in xbmc still works)
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC standalone service"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (started dbus and started mountall and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn
respawn limit 10 5

# nice level
limit nice 21 21

script
  exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER
end script

This init script fixed my problem. Thanks for the update. FYI... I did not need the "Sleep 3" fix.
yeah the start on options seemed to fix the issue some were having
(2014-03-15, 11:20)Hack_kid Wrote: This script will only work properly on Ubuntu Minimal and Ubuntu Server installations! Do not use it on an Ubuntu Desktop installation because it will break stuff!!

2. Automated Ubuntu preparation and XBMC installation

The script assumes you chose "en_US.UTF-8" as your locale! It might work if you chose a different one, but I haven't tested that.
Please be patient during the installation process. Some elements will take some time to finish!

Login to your htpc with ssh and execute the following commands...

BETA v0.9 [nvidia, ati(fglrx and oss) and intel video drivers support
Code:
wget https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh
sudo su
bash ./xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh

yes i know that says "sudo su" in later ubuntu versions i was having issues with the script constantly pausing asking for password. this will make that not an issue. and dont worry about permissions. they are set accordingly (i.e. .xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml is saved as xbmc for owner not root)

Gotham: if you want it to install gotham not frodo just open the script and scroll down to xbmc ppa. its not very far everything is defined at the top and change it from ppa:team-xbmc/ppa to ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

Rough Changelog (off the top of my head, check git for details)

* Added Radon-OSS/VDPAU support
* Changed PPA to offical XBMC ppa
* Fixed superuser and permissions issue
* Fixed apparmor removal
* NVIDIA: added dialog box to pick between the 3 driver versions
* Fixed usage for Ubuntu 13.10
* Added Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support
* If running Ubuntu 12.04 script will ask at the end of installation if you want to enable the LTS Enablement stack with the 3.8 kernel or keep the 3.2 kernel
* Sensor detection is now automatic (no pressing ENTER)
* Cleaned up the startup script (i wrote it after all Tongue) to fix the nice limit as well as remove the X cursor so it doesnt show on bootup (it is always in the middle of the splash and is ugly. This is okay since XBMC has its own cursor
* Added option to install nfs-common (OS NFS kernel support) as I find it more reliable and then the whole OS can see the mounted shares not just XBMC
* Fixed alsa from not always installing
* Purged dirty region setup as its obsolete in most cases
* will now modify /etc/default/grub so the system will boot after a dirty shutdown/startup (i.e. when there is a power-loss during boot-up)
* Will set /tmpfs to be mounted to ram. Any system over a GB of ram should have this. with a minimal install we are using so little ram it seems stupid not to mount /tmp here. is allows for faster booting.

That's it. You should have XBMC up and running after the automatic reboot, with nothing installed that isn't absolutely required! This installation boots super fast (comparable with OpenElec, quite a bit faster then XBMCbuntu). It provides a very smooth XBMC experience because there are almost no extra processes running in the background. No more then required anyway.

Please let me know if you run into problems.

and special thanks to bram77 for the script to work from

to mods: couldnt post in the how to section so had to post here. could it be moved?

also could i get my username changed to albinoman887 its what i use on github and xda. I dont know how to PM to make this happen

How do I install Gotham? You said open script, were do I do that also after I did post one I was lost and that to boot the usb again and it brought up the ssh were I then started post 2. But it's not in the directions to do that I just figured it out on a wim. Might want to put that in there I thought it was going to automatically open the terminal. But were do I select the ppa for Gotham tho?
Do I have to keep usb stick in or can I install it to hdd ? Everytime I try and go into xbmc I have to select usb then when I do that it brings up a terminal what do I do?
I can't even get in xbmc it keeps going to the terminal when I have usb in, when it's out and I select hdd nothing black screen with white line at top left blinking
Has anyone tried that on 14.4 Trusty Tahr ?
Not released yet but it's coming soon, and it's a LTS, I would prefer to install a beta now than installing a 13.10 and upgrading later.
Thanks
(2014-04-12, 21:18)nirmv Wrote: Has anyone tried that on 14.4 Trusty Tahr ?
Not released yet but it's coming soon, and it's a LTS, I would prefer to install a beta now than installing a 13.10 and upgrading later.
Thanks

I have been waiting for 14.04 and Gotham finals before installing the SSD and redoing my HTPC. So I decided to play around in a VM today to see how things went. I downloaded the current 14.04 minimal from HERE and got to playing around. First of all the script is setup to work for VMWARE but not VirtualBox. No worries though.. I use VirtualBox so I fixed that up and made some other small changes that will help ATI users going forth by checking if the ubuntu version is 13.10 OR above. It enable the unstable xbmc ppa in order to install the current Gotham beta as well. I have tried this only on VBox but installation went ok and I was greeted by a working XBMC Gotham @1080p after rebooting. So the VBox drivers are getting installed just fine.

I do not even have an ATI system to test on.. I just noticed the check when installing using ATI was only checking for 13.10 and not checking if it was 13.10 or above so I made some changes that SHOULD make it work right with ATI going forward. Also when installing on 14.04 or above there will be no need to install the 3.13.5 kernel because it is the default so I added a check for 14.04 and above so that the script wont try to install it for OSS ATI users who are using 14.04 and up. Like I said I can't test the ATI stuff so maybe someone with an ATI system can apply the patch and give it a shot.

The patch can be found HERE. Hopefully Hack_kid will take a look at it and find my changes useful. I was too lazy to fork his project on github and do a pull request =P

AGAIN! this was not tested for ATI on 14.04.. so if it doesn't work (it should) I am sorry. At least people wanting to test on VBox will be able to.

To install with the patch install the 14.04 minimal install as per usual, reboot then login. Unless you really want to type all this stuff out I suggest installing OpenSSH during the minimal install or afterward via apt-get and then ssh into the minimal install so that you can easily copy/paste these commands.

Code:
wget https://github.com/Albinoman887/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.10/xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh

wget -O diff.patch "http://damad101.cloud.onlysavvy.com/public.php?service=files&t=3c44f35ead5f0fd0eabea8c2f456c01e&download"

sudo apt-get install patch

patch xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh < diff.patch

chmod +x xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh

sudo su

./xbmc-ubuntuniversal-minimal-installer.sh

I you have trouble on real hardware doing everything via ssh you may want to ssh into the box just long enough to grab the script and patch then patch the script and go back to the real box to actually run the patched up script. I didn't have trouble doing the whole thing via ssh in VBox, but I have had trouble doing it with Bram's old script on my real hardware in the past.

EDIT* I have always thought the script should ask whether to use the stable or unstable XBMC PPA during the install... so I made it do it. I also went through the script and fixed up "tab spacing". 4 spaces is the general rule of thumb and in most places that is what was used. Other places actually used a "tab" or 8 spaces. So I just made it all uniform and easier to read through. I updated the diff.patch file with the changes.
Thanks EKRBoi,
Actually I'm using nvidia. I will try out the 14.04 and see what's going on.
(2014-04-13, 17:01)nirmv Wrote: Thanks EKRBoi,
Actually I'm using nvidia. I will try out the 14.04 and see what's going on.

I have not installed 14.04 with script on real hardware yet, but if you are not installing in a VirtualBox VM or using ATI then there would be no need to use my patch.. just use the script how Hack_kid has it.
Well.. Decided to give 14.04 a go on my actual hardware. BIG problem with nvidia. The trusty nvidia packages will download and install Ubuntu desktop as dependencies... Lightdm... Desktop.. The whole 9 yards. Even with the xswat ppa installed it picks from official ppa because the packages are newer.. Wondered why it took FOREVER at the nvidia part. It broke everything... Trying to figure out a fix or workaround... Will report back later.
Its the recent nvidia drivers in 14.04 that have borked dependencies.. the older 3.04 nvidia driver dependencies are ok. The script seems to work if you choose those, although I've done a lot of fiddling since I ran it.
Yep that is what I found as well. But even with the 304 drivers I was having problems. What I ended up doing was add the option to select "None" in the script where it asks which nvidia drivers to use. So it skips that part entirely. Then I just opted not to reboot after the script ran and manually installed the 334.21 drivers from nvidia. Doing it this way with the SSD has produced the fastest boot times for this setup I have seen, PERIOD. Easily twice as fast as with installing 304 from the repos because even those install some extra crap. So fast that the xbmc upstart script was running before the nvidia stuff was loaded so it was failing more often than not. Looking at my dmesg eth0 comes up after nvidia so I just made it check for eth0 being up before starting xbmc... im sure there has to be a way to simply check for nvidia being up.. but I couldn't figure it out and since there is no local content on the HTPC if it doesn't have eth0 it's next to useless haha.

I now have ONE problem I cannot seem to figure out. Screen tearing?! I never had the problem with 13.04/13.10 and frodo... Video playback was always smooth as butter. Im gonna switch it back to frodo when the g/f goes to sleep and I can tinker with it some more to see if it is a gotham thing or something else. If anyone has some insight into this let me know..
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]3