• 9(current)
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]
Howdy,

Sorry for confusion, if you read about the OSS drivers here, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver, they show my radeon 4200 in the "fully supported" column, but i've noticed that the xbmc posts specifically ask for uvd2.2

anyhow, why do you say I need a different xbmc? I thought this script installs gotham ... Is helix only for oss and not the older fglrxes? Like if i get gotham, 13.0 going well on this machine, i will never update to 14/helix because it's made for different drivers?

i might just try the xbmcbuntu gui install and see if that gets everything going fast enough. I was just really impressed with openelec's speed but i wanted window manager for emulators. but maybe xbmcbuntu will be fast enough.

I must say openelec installed with hdmi bitstreaming. not sure if the igp was doing any heavy lifting but i got hdmi dolby surround out of the deal. Ultimately, would you suggest windows, so i can get "full" hardware support?
This script is pretty awesome. However I ran into an issue.

I installed on Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
After the install I restarted and xbmc started like it should. I restarted a few times getting LIRC working with no problem.
I left the server off all last night and this morning XBMC wont start. I just get the consel asking for a login. If I try to manually start xbmc I get:

Code:
Error: unable to open display
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

I am running nvidia graphics with the default driver in the installer. audio and video worked fine until this morning.
I am looking for solutions but I figured I would ask here sooner rather then later incase someone knows a simple fix.

EDIT: I found a typo in one of the X config files I used to disable my mce remote as a keyboard. Its fixed and the xorg log shows everything starting fine but still no XBMC. and glxinfo can open display ether

EDIT2: Fixed the typo but no luck. X seems to be starting. But xbmc still wont start. Seems like no graphics driver is loaded. Again, this is a fresh install. Yesterday. and it was off all night, no updates, only change was the one I made for the MCE Remote. I fixed it and removed the change all together. no difference

The only warnings above this are the missing font files.
It seems like its getting stuck. there should be more after "using vt number 8" I think

Code:
[    14.841] Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
[    14.842] Initializing built-in extension XVideo
[    14.842] Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[    14.842] Initializing built-in extension SELinux
[    14.842] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[    14.842] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
[    14.843] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
[    14.843] Initializing built-in extension DRI2
[    14.843] (WW) "glamoregl" will not be loaded unless you've specified it to be loaded elsewhere.
[    14.843] (II) "glx" will be loaded by default.
[    14.843] (WW) "xmir" is not to be loaded by default. Skipping.
[    14.843] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[    14.843] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
[    14.973] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    14.973]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[    14.973]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[    14.973] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  304.117  Tue Nov 26 21:45:09 PST 2013
[    14.973] Loading extension GLX
[    14.973] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[    14.973] (II) Loading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
[    14.974] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    14.974]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[    14.974]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    14.975] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  304.117  Tue Nov 26 21:27:08 PST 2013
[    14.975] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
[    14.975] (--) using VT number 8

EDIT3: I tried startx and it worked but still froze. The graphical CLI showed but the log just ended at that using vt number 8. I tried unpluging the keyboard while watching the log tail but nothing will happen. ctrl + alt + f1 brings back the consle and I can use ctrl + c to exit X.
Thanks.
What i always do when installing:

Install Ubuntu 12.04
run the script to install XBMC
do a apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade to get 14.xx

It maybe a bit more work, but at least i do get errors.
You guys are awesome, so I'm Hoping to get someone to help on my setup XBMC minimal install. First off I am installing on quite an old system and I am determined to get it to work. So please don't insult my determination to not pollute the earth with another computer.

The specs are as follows:
Nforce2 mainboard
Amd xp 2400+
ATI 8500dv DX 8.1 & open GL 1.3

I have gotten all the way through the install using both the RadeonOSS drivers and the legacy drivers. Still XBMC will not start and its all because of OpenGL. Now I know how to fix this issue but cant seem to get it to work due to my limited linux knowledge.

Here is the fix that will help with the openGL 1.3 error:

nano .config/autostart.sh
#!/bin/sh
( systemctl stop xbmc
systemctl set-environment MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0
systemctl start xbmc)&
<type Ctrl+x>
chmod +x .config/autostart.sh
reboot

When I try this fix as root I get an error in nano that says there is no such directory or file .config/autostart.sh. So what file starts up XBMC?

I know this hack works because I got openelec to boot with the same hack on a i845g intel extreme graphics which is also Open GL 1.3 and DX 8.1. So the proof is on my other system which is also from 2003/2004. So all I need from someone here is how to adapt my hack for this install. The reason I am not using openelec on this system is because of a nforce2 chipset issue, the error is illegal instructions before I get to the install (booting off USB). Openelec I believe still has not fixed this issue on nforce/amd systems.

See: https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/topi...ash_solved

I doubt anyone has a fix for that so I am going a different route and trying to get my openGL fix for this setup.

Thank YOU to whoever can help me..
I'm not familiar with this method of setting up XBMC/Ubuntu, but you could try putting

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0

In /etc/environment
(2014-09-11, 04:51)teeedubb Wrote: I'm not familiar with this method of setting up XBMC/Ubuntu, but you could try putting

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0

In /etc/environment

Where in etc/environment? Is there a start up file in the directory?
@madhits
XBMC is started by upstart. If teeedubb's suggestion doesn't work, try adding the line like below to /etc/init/xbmc.conf. And its '/etc/environment' with a front slash.

Code:
cat /etc/init/xbmc.conf
# xbmc standalone service

# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# will try to auto respawn for 5 mins if it crashes
# launches xbmc in the "standalone mode" with no xcursor (cursor in xbmc still works)
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc
env MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 <----- ADD THIS LINE

description     "XBMC standalone service"
author          "Matt Filetto"

start on (started dbus and started mountall and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn
respawn limit 10 5

# nice level
limit nice 21 21

script
  exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -bs -nocursor :0" $USER
end script
/etc/environment is the file to put that line into.
(2014-09-11, 05:22)squareatom Wrote: @madhits
XBMC is started by upstart. If teeedubb's suggestion doesn't work, try adding the line like below to /etc/init/xbmc.conf. And its '/etc/environment' with a front slash.

Thanks squareatom & teeedubb... I'll give it a try and report back. Might have to switch drivers again if it does not work with the older driver that I have on the last install. Will see.

UPDATE: Tried adding the line env MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0 /etc/init/xbmc.conf & the /etc/environment and no luck with either on the legacy ati driver. Going to give it a shot with the newer oss driver now..
Alright after a 5th reinstall nothing has worked. I tried both the OSS driver and the older one. The mesa trick does not seem to work or its not being put in the correct place. I have it in both /etc/init/xbmc.conf & /etc/environment.

What am I missing here? Can someone else help. When I run XBMC at the command line I get the error has that XBMC needs open GL capable graphics card & driver.
So the conclusion is that its either the mesa trick is not in the right spot or the driver is not right for my card. Hope someone can help me..

Thanks all
Perhaps not pollute the earth with yet another computer. But perhaps your could find a somewhat newer but still used gfx card somewhere. the 8500dv is from 2002 and is as gfx cards go way beyond ancient.
(2014-09-12, 00:53)laric Wrote: Perhaps not pollute the earth with yet another computer. But perhaps your could find a somewhat newer but still used gfx card somewhere. the 8500dv is from 2002 and is as gfx cards go way beyond ancient.

I hear you but this card has the exact same specs as my other system which is a p4 845p onboard graphics 8mb ddr. Those specs are DX 8.1 and open GL 1.3. I was able to get the other system with openelec to run and even play 720p content. The 8500dv has 64mb of ddr so far more memory but drivers are always the issue.

I also have a Sapphire radeon 9600 with 256M ddr but it also will not boot XBMC with ubuntu min install, I get the same open GL error. So I'm not quite sure why that one wont work because its a lot newer card.

I wonder if this is because of the mesa driver not being used (Drivers/DRI/r200). see: http://forum.top-hat-sec.com/index.php?topic=3842.0

I wonder how I get this driver to install. Can I follow these instructions as they are?

Will this help? If I attempt to install with this method?

This XBMC script gives the option for either Catalyst/fglrx or the RadeonOSS driver. Does the OSS driver include the radeon legacy driver above? would this amd-driver-installer-12.6-legacy-x86.x86_64.zip be the correct driver for the 8500dv? I wonder if that is why I cant get the mesa override trick to work because the driver is not identify the card correctly. Hope someone can help me figure this out. Ill give this install a try if this sounds like it maybe the issue.
Hi,

Something happened to the network stack. When checking system info in XBMC the IP address is empty. So basically I can't SSH in.
Is there a way to exit XBMC fullscreen to get to the CLI?
Ctrl+alt+f1
@Hack_kid: Thanks for this amazing script, it let my dreams come true ... Big Grin

But atm I've got a little problem with the results: I'm from Germany and so I use the german keyboard layout. But in XBMC I always have the US keyboard layout. Via Google I haven't found any solution and so I ask to you all for a fix.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Is there an important reason to deactivate automatic updates?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated XBMC minimal installer v0.93 for Ubuntu 12.04 > 14.04 - [4/19/2014]3