getCacheThumbName - wtf is a tbn?
XBMC creates a cached thumbnail for shows that arent in the library. I want to get that thumbnail and thought getCacheThumbName would do it. But it gives me a .tbn file and I dont have any .tbn files on my hard drive, so I am guessing I have to replace the tbn with .jpg or .png.

A ton of googling resulted in a lot of dead ends and stale (probably misleading) references to the Thumbnails/Video/ folder, which is empty so I am guessing it was deprecated.

If this is the file path, 'C:\testTV\Air\Season1\Air S01E92.avi' then what do I need to do with it to get the actual file name of a2890698.jpg ?
I wrote a very simple little function that I call to get the ThumbName without the extension. Then I can add whatever extension I need later.

Code:
def itemHash(item):
    return xbmc.getCacheThumbName(item).replace('.tbn', '')

You should send the file with the full path as item. Then I believe you will get back the correct cache name.
Thanks, but the problem is that 'C:\testTV\Air\Season1\Air S01E92.avi' doesnt result in 'a2890698.tbn' in the first place.

It was very late when i wrote the post, so it may not have been as clear as it could be. Still, I am still no closer to getting the name right.
If you search, you'll find that all you need do is query the texture database. This can be done over JSON-RPC in Gotham.

Further, there's a bunch of python scripts out there to take care of it - see MilhouseVH's posts.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Damn, I didnt even bother looking at the database query options because of the prohibition against addons in the official repo touching the databases. And the JSON-RPC was out because the function wasnt there. That was actually the first place I looked. Thanks.
Yup - it's new in Gotham.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
getCacheThumbName - wtf is a tbn?1