best tv box
Hi guys newbie to xbmc looking for some advice on which TV box to buy which will be used for xbmc only.I am currently using my tablet for xbmc but wish to buy a tv box and don't wish to go the nuc route as I want to be able to move it room to room with ease.I will be using a home plug with box at all times and was looking at the cyclone x2 and box and was thinking of the Linux version of xbmc as I read it was better than android .I want it to be full 1080p compatible thank you for any advice
If performance is paramount and price is no object, I would probably go for an Intel NUC. You can find more information on the XBMC wiki. This is a "there's no kill like overkill" approach to XBMC, but to me that has advantages in terms of longevity, low hassle factor, and covering for other imperfections. But YMMV.

I guess I'm confused as to how a NUC isn't portable? It's just about the smallest box out there, isn't it?

If low cost is what you're after, I hear that a raspberry PI (pulling files from a NAS, ideally) is reputed to be good enough to run OpenElec. If you don't want to spring for a NAS, an Apple AirPort Extreme + USB HD might be an easy second choice, assuming you need a router.
Thanks for the reply don't really want to go the nuc route want an easy box so Mrs and kids can transfer it from room to room with ease and want to keep cost down.So are the boxes you can buy which are mostly android no good then I thought that if I put Linux xbmc on that they are a lot better. Seen a couple of vids on YouTube and seem to be OK
get an ouya box.

but quite honestly some of he NUC deals these days are fairly good. A celeron NUC will cost you maybe 30-40 bucks more than a good tv box but its worth it.
I have seen a gbox with Linux xbmc installed for £74.99 are these any good seen a couple of good reviews of this box with Linux installed
hi. I'm new on here. I am based in UK.

I am looking for a good box with good wifi that allows me to watch movies, tv shows and live sports.

I have a budget of £100.

any suggestions?
@ripmaster: Just wanted to note that I deleted your double post (I guess it was a mistake).
My GitHub. My Add-ons:
Oops sorry so I guess the overall view is TV boxes aren't any good
(2014-03-16, 17:00)ozkhan1 Wrote: get an ouya box.

but quite honestly some of he NUC deals these days are fairly good. A celeron NUC will cost you maybe 30-40 bucks more than a good tv box but its worth it.

This. The NUC is just easy, if not easier (updates are waaaay easier with OpenELEC installed on a NUC), than any g-box or whatever.

Failing that, OUYA.
Looking into a box as well that does hd audio. Narrowed it down to a nuc and a Lenovo q190. I'm not computer savy and was wondering if there are nucs I can buy that has everything in it?
You're not going to get any better advice than to get a NUC. XBMC for Android still has some kinks to work out so if you want a wife-friendly solution you should probably avoid it. Intel has had its fair share of issues regarding acceleration too but if you put Openelec on it you'll most likely have no problems.
With the latest version of Openelec, the PS 3 Media remote works out of the box.

I got an i3 NUC recently for $160, put some ram in it, put an OE bootable USB drive, a Bluetooth dongle, paired the PS3 Media remote and I was rocking and rolling. The whole set up cost around $250 (would be cheaper if you can find cheaper ram and the remote control online, i bought mine from Sony store, BT Dongle and RAM from best buy, so it was a little pricier)

Took me 2 hours at the very most to set it all up.
Thanks for advice guys so doesn't wiping android off and installing Linux xbmc so it only boots to xbmc make no difference over android.I have been running xbmc on my sumvision voyager2 connected to TV running Gotham and been impressed.I have had the odd glitch were it crashed but never when watching movies or sport.
What's the point of getting an Android device if you're not going to run Android on it?
Ze price brudah.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best tv box0