hardware acceleration for 4k
Hello,

i'm new here!

I have some questions about XBMC and 4k resolution :

i use a HTPC with a i3 processor with his hd 2000 gpu. is it enought for 4k movies ?

if not, does a GPU work with XBMC and 4k resolution (Hardware acceleration)?

thanks!

P.S : sorry for my English XD
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-announ...year_14116

Only from 3rth generation Intel Core (Ivy Bridge) and higher and only by 2x active display-ports. Seems the Dell's 9010 and 9020 that I have standing here has two (Dell µSFF format) and even three (Dell SFF format) display-ports. I haven't got a 4K display so I can't test it myself Wink
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
ok thanks, so integreted GPU isn't the best solution...

And is it possible with a GPU AMD R7 240 for exemple (4k ready) ? Is XBMC ready for 4k resolution and Hardware acceleration ?
It depends on the codec used for the 4K movie I would imagine.

4K H264/AVC is, I believe, accelerated on recent graphics cards/integrated GPUs. However it is likely that when 4K material becomes mainstream it will be encoded using H265/HEVC (and in some cases Google's VP9 codec - Youtube particularly). AFAIK current GPU hardware decode acceleration doesn't cover H265/HEVC - though it may be that Cuda or similar GPU compute acceleration could be used to speed up software decoding (I don't know if the algorithms used for H265/HEVC are particularly suited to GPU compute)
Ok Thanks,

So for the moment, the 4k on xbmc is not supported right ?
Not sure. Software decoding of H265/HEVC is present in ffmpeg - and I think I've seen XBMC builds decoding it. I suspect the same is true of the H264 profiles that support 4k. Could work now if you have a powerful enough CPU for software decoding. Not sure whether 4K output is feasible yet.
Ok, thanks for the infos.

I will wait for the hardwares and the softwares to be ready! Its too young for the moment.

I hope it's gonna be better soon!
HEVC hardware decoding is non existent at this moment.

HEVC software decoding will be available in XBMC 14

The h265 name did not make it and will not be used

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
hardware acceleration for 4k0