• 10(current)
Xbmcbuntu 13 Testing Thread
I installed ubuntu 14,04 beta install lubuntu-desktop for lxde and xbmc Frodo. I get memory leak messages when using sudo (already bug reported on ubuntu 14.04) , but lots of other weirdness. I was happy to find this thread and that there is an xbmcbuntu gotham and using ubuntu 14.04 , but very disappointed that it is 64 bit only.

I was testing on an Acer Revo 1600 with 1 Gig of RAM, HardInfo reports 2x Intel® Atom™ CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz

My experience has not been astounding thus far , but I can say it seems fast and responsive even with 90+ add ons installed.

I too am interested in 32 bit xbmcbuntu in my case for both memory and CPU compatibility reasons. I thought part of the idea for xbmcbuntu was to make it easy to install and I think many users run minimal systems for xbmc . Most do not want to spend the time that I have on it!
I had to move to windows, since the sound was borked. Problem solved. Tongue
(2014-04-10, 14:47)tmiland Wrote: I had to move to windows, since the sound was borked. Problem solved. Tongue

congratz
(2014-04-08, 09:45)wsnipex Wrote: even if we don't provide a 32bit iso, you can always install linux and add one of our PPAs yourself

I have added the stable PPAs to my XBMC Pentium 4 dinosaur with the current "Frodo" release 12.3 using
the instructions in the Wiki.

The question is, when Gotham stable for Linux comes out will it be 64-Bit only? Or can I run it on a 32-Bit machine?

(2014-04-08, 18:00)tekno Wrote: I installed ubuntu 14,04 beta install lubuntu-desktop for lxde and xbmc Frodo. I get memory leak messages when using sudo (already bug reported on ubuntu 14.04) , but lots of other weirdness. I was happy to find this thread and that there is an xbmcbuntu gotham and using ubuntu 14.04 , but very disappointed that it is 64 bit only.

I was testing on an Acer Revo 1600 with 1 Gig of RAM, HardInfo reports 2x Intel® Atom™ CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz

My experience has not been astounding thus far , but I can say it seems fast and responsive even with 90+ add ons installed.

I too am interested in 32 bit xbmcbuntu in my case for both memory and CPU compatibility reasons. I thought part of the idea for xbmcbuntu was to make it easy to install and I think many users run minimal systems for xbmc . Most do not want to spend the time that I have on it!

Another one to add to the pile.

People are running Gotham on a RaspberryPi by the way and that isn't exactly a speed demon or 64-Bit.
You can run it now on 32bit.
| myHTPC |
Thanks, good to know.

So I just change the XBMC PPAs to the Beta PPAs?
(2014-04-10, 16:16)J876 Wrote: Another one to add to the pile.

People are running Gotham on a RaspberryPi by the way and that isn't exactly a speed demon or 64-Bit.

Oh lord.... Wont you buy him a Mercedes Benz, his friends all drive Porshes, he must make emends....

Singing aside...

What does XBMC Gotham have to do with 64bit or 32bit? its an application not a OS, the OS is XBMCbuntu that atm only supports 64bit, and fyi the arm11 which the PI has does indeed support 64bit data paths or so it says there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM11 not that one should compare oranges and bananas.

XBMC ppas build for both 32bit and 64bit and indeed if you want XBMC Gotham you are looking at the unstable ppa, see XBMC Team PPA (wiki)
(2014-04-10, 16:46)J876 Wrote: So I just change the XBMC PPAs to the Beta PPAs?

I don't know, i have build my 32Bit Atom Setup with this HowTo:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707
| myHTPC |
I have installed both XBMCbuntu 12.2 and 13 Beta 2.1 and have not been able to get either to work properly. The hardware is a Zotac ZBOX AD02 - basically an AMD E-350 with Radeon HD 6310 GPU.

I am streaming both DVD and BluRay ISO rips from a Synology 1512+ NAS over a wired gigabit Ethernet connection. When using 12.2 I can generally play the DVD rips with no issues. However the with BluRay rips the video will lag the audio (which sounds fine) and intermittently the video will speed up but never really sync with the audio. I have tried all of the HDMI Audio out options with no effect since when using Windows I have to use the ASPI option for HD audio. With 13 Beta 2.1, I am having problems with both DVD and BluRay playback. Either the video will be very slow and jumpy with no audio, or I get audio with no video, or I get neither audio or video. This seems to be the case across a number of different DVD's and BluRay rips. To further confuse matters, I can often times get it to work properly if I skip forward (i.e.; press the right cursor key) immediately after the video play back starts for BluRay. The sequence of events it - select the move to play, play back starts with very slow video and no audio, I press the right cursor key, video skips forward 30 seconds syncs up and plays properly. Once it syncs up properly the playback works as expected. I can also sometimes get it to work by hitting fast forward for a few seconds and then play. Note that this procedure will have no effect if the playback starts with audio and no video. I am also using an older LCD screen at 720p - not sure if this is a contributing factor.

I have used the same hardware with windows 7/8 and XBMC 12 and 13 with no problems other than the generally slow UI response due to the relatively low performance hardware. Was hoping to get better performance using XBMCbuntu.
(2014-04-10, 17:32)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-04-10, 16:16)J876 Wrote: Another one to add to the pile.

Oh lord.... Wont you buy him a Mercedes Benz, his friends all drive Porshes, he must make emends....

Singing aside...

What does XBMC Gotham have to do with 64bit or 32bit? its an application not a OS, the OS is XBMCbuntu that atm only supports 64bit, and fyi the arm11 which the PI has does indeed support 64bit data paths or so it says there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM11 not that one should compare oranges and bananas.

XBMC ppas build for both 32bit and 64bit and indeed if you want XBMC Gotham you are looking at the unstable ppa, see XBMC Team PPA (wiki)

Yes the ARMv11 has 64-Bit data path (fancy name for a data bus) however the ARM11 only has 32-Bit Registers in the CPU and an ARMv6 instruction set which is a maximum of 32-bit. I checked the datasheets and the technical reference manuals.

Please read this:

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp...22730.html

and this

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp...22730.html

and this

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/c...rm1176.php

and this

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/up...herals.pdf

Quoted from site:
1.4. ARM1176JZF-S architecture with Jazelle technology
The ARM1176JZF-S processor has three instruction sets:

•the 32-bit ARM instruction set used in ARM state, with media instructions
•the 16-bit Thumb instruction set used in Thumb state
•the 8-bit Java bytecodes used in Jazelle state.

For details of both the ARM and Thumb instruction sets, see the ARM Architecture Reference Manual. For full details of the ARM1176JZF-S Java instruction set, see the Jazelle V1 Architecture Reference Manual.

THIS is the processor used in the Broadcomm SoC used on the RaspberryPi it is definitely a 32-Bit processor! A 32-bit processor cannot execute 64-bit code.
Let's write about xbmcbuntu and not about RPI Wink

I am thinking what would be the best Solution for an 32Bit Build:
- Xubuntu 14.04 Final (when it comes the next days) + XBMC Gotham
- Ubuntu mini 14.04 + XBMC (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707) + apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
- XBMCBuntu 14.04 in 32Bit, if it would be released

Am i right then with all 3, at the end of the Day, i would have almost the same Solution for the 32Bit Machine?
Or do i have to adjust many things to the first two to have the same experience like XBMCBuntu?
| myHTPC |
Let's write about xbmcbuntu and not about RPI Wink

Good call!
@-DDD- besides Xbmcbuntu using lxde, which is a little more lightweight, you are right that all 3 options will give about the same experience if configured correctly(no window compositing)
given that xbmcbuntu13b2 is still beta, are the ppa's to upgrade to the most recent xbmc13b3 already setup upon freshinstall of xbmcbuntu13b2, or do we still have to change those manually?
its already setup, only need to change ppas for final.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu 13 Testing Thread3