• 1(current)
Xbmcbuntu 13 Testing Thread
In due time for Gotham beta2 we have fixed up Xbmcbuntu 13 beta for user testing.
Kudos to lcapriotti Smile

New in version 13:
- based on ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Xbmc 13 beta2
- 64bit build
- all in one ISO, no more GPU specific builds
- hardware video decoding on AMD cards (via OSS radeon driver)

Downloads:
64-bit: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbun..._amd64.iso
still rc1: 32-bit: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbun...4_i386.iso

changelog:
beta4:
- removed .asoundrc
- added add-apt-repository and vainfo
beta2-1:
- removed pulseaudio
- disabled X11 backing store

Important
To switch to the desktop:
1) enter xbmc for username
2) click the wrench icon top right, choose xbmcbuntu
if you cannot see the icon, disable overscanning on your TV or press F9
3) click login

If you have problems, please provide following info:
- your hardware: CPU and GPU
-
Code:
dmesg | pastebinit
pastebinit ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo | pastebinit
dpkg -l |grep mesa | pastebinit
reserved
disclaimer: it may burn your fingers and destroy your house, use it with extreme caution and don't shoot on the pianist if it does not work for you Smile
We are looking for your feedback!
For intel users: vdpauinfo won't work. Check with vainfo, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Updated xbmcbuntu wiki XBMCbuntu (wiki) needs a clenup when final is released but that should do for now.
I'm experimenting with this on my NUC and it's working fairly well, however I have one problem, since I'm using an SSD XBMC is starting before the network is fully up, preventing it from connecting to my sql server. At least that's what I suspect to be happening because XBMC comes up real quick. Restarting XBMC after the system has started gets it connected. Also I added "net-device-up IFACE!=lo" to /etc/init/lightdm.conf and then it successfully connected on boot. Can anybody offer a solution that won't get wiped out when installing future system updates?

I'm seeing a bit of tearing also. But I know there's threads on that so I'll look into those problems real quick. I had installed XBMCbuntu 12 then updated to 13 beta 2 and didn't notice any video issues, so I don't know if that's a new problem with the 64-bit version or what.

Initially it would only provide two channel sound. Removing PulseAudio fixed that issue. In fact it's better than what I had before since with the previous install DTS-HD wouldn't work. Why is PulseAudio installed? Isn't that nothing but trouble? Any time I see someone with audio trouble and PulseAudio the first piece of advice is remove Pulse. As soon as I rebooted after removing Pulse it was instant success. XBMC even had it on the correct device.

My bluetooth keyboard isn't working with this install, it did before. So that's another minor issue I have to look into.

Update
Tweaking the various video settings, sync and the like, seems to have eliminated any tearing problems. And running "apt-get install bluez-utils" has got my keyboard up and running. All-in-all this is a damn good build.
I put iso on usbstick with unetbootin.
Bootup with "Try XBMCbuntu..."

How can I connect to wireless network now?

EXIT from xbmc and I can choose XBMC or XBMCbuntu but both gets me back to XBMC app
No desktop with network settings.
No network settings in loggin screen.

thx
To switch to the desktop on the _live-session_(when you ran "Try XBMCbuntu"):
1) enter xbmc for username
2) click the wrench icon top right, choose xbmcbuntu
3) click login

It has to be done in this order or you will also end up in the xbmc session
about pulse being installed: There seems to be some dependency pulling that in, looking into it.

@KeithLM: can you try if this works for you?

in /etc/init/xbmcbuntu-wait.conf
-start on (starting lightdm or starting ubiquity)
+start on (starting lightdm or starting ubiquity and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
Thanks you, i try now
(2014-03-19, 07:53)wsnipex Wrote: about pulse being installed: There seems to be some dependency pulling that in, looking into it.

@KeithLM: can you try if this works for you?

in /etc/init/xbmcbuntu-wait.conf
-start on (starting lightdm or starting ubiquity)
+start on (starting lightdm or starting ubiquity and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)

I looked in the wait conf file and somehow missed the start line. I will give that a try tonight.

I had the pulse issue with my initial install of the current XBMCbuntu on my NUC. Perhaps something related to the Intel drivers is pulling in Pulse.
I've been following "Linux - Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)" and the only major issue I had was stattering video on certain files - codec related I believe.
Decided to move to Beta. The installation went smoothly but I do not have Audio Passthrough option in system audio setting now.
Can be this also related to this Pulse Audio stuff?

My system details are:

GPU: Asus Radeon HD6450 + HDMI output -> Yamaha RX-V775
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240e, dual core, socket AM3, 2.8GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 45W
Mainboard: Gigabyte MA78GS2H rev 1.1
yes, till we fix this and build a new iso, please manually uninstall pulse:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
This says hardware deciding for Radeon. Does that mean I need to do more to get nvida drivers and acceleration?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
No, Radeon is for amd, nvidia for nvidia, they will now both use vdpau.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu 13 Testing Thread3