1080p stuttering / pauses a lot (Openelec 3.95.2)
Hi,

i read one of the bugthread where "robe1" already exactly described the same problem i have... since Gotham every 1080p stutters / pauses some seconds every 2-5 minutes....
he fixed it by changing a corrupted cable...
but im using 3 Raspberry Pis and 2 NAS (Qnap Ts 410) as filehosts... and with every combination i got those pause/stutter thing.... (with files hosted on my PC, too)
so i tried the only valid thing and replaced my network switch...
and first i thought the problem was gone... no stutters no pauses, just fine and smooth playback of all my 1080p stuff (exept full bluray Isos, but this i will ask for , if my first problem is gone...)

so i turned of my Raspberry Pi and went to bed , starting the other Raspberry Pi for watching an episode (1080p)...
but when it started, the same pauses happened again.... i tried the 3rd RasPi too... same here ! and even my First one, where everything worked fine is doing the same again...

Is there anything wrong with my switches? .... any setting wrong? ... i dont get it...
it worked fine in frodo (except the full blurays)

im using Openelec (3.95.2 with Gotham Beta)

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=152492
To know where the problem lies you would really need to know the average bitrate of the video you're trying to play, and measure the network performance between your RPi and server with iperf. You don't say what network protocol you're using either. (SMB ? NFS ?)

It might be related to the issue I reported with handling of buffering in Gotham here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189561

In advancedsettings.xml you could try changing buffermode to 1 (will force even "local" file systems such as SMB and NFS to be buffered) and set readbufferfactor to 1.5. That worked well for me, although I think there is still an underlying issue which readbufferfactor only works around.

Edit: I see from your log your OpenElec system advancedsettings.xml already has readbufferfactor set to 4.0 and cachemembuffersize set to 20MB, however try setting buffermode to 1 in your advancedsettings.xml so that local filesystems are buffered. (you can tell whether its working by looking at the cache figure in the codec info page while video is playing - before changing it it will always say 0, after changing it, it should change as video plays, and build up to 10-20MB while streaming video across your network, as it would when streaming an internet stream)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ideo_cache

Chances are buffermode 1 will fix your problem so long as your average network throughput is fast enough, as with a 20MB buffer you'll have well over a minutes worth of buffer time.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
alright...

i tried the buffer setting a lot before i replaced my switch ....
after replacing the switch it seems to pause just at the beginning of an episode.
After enabling buffermode=1 again it seems working with 1080p files...

The full bluray is working in my living room (with 3 little pauses in around 30 minutes) but its not in my gaming room...

i will give it a try again if my new network switch is here and i will change all my cables from cat5e to cat6.

Just for info - there were 3 things in my settings going wrong:
- my noname gigabit switch was crap
- i needed to activate the buffermode=1 option
- my cat 5e cables seem not to be isolated enough for getting static full speed in my network (the cables to my gaming room are parallel to some powercables)

i will give an update next week if the setting with new switch and cat6 cable are the solution of my problem Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p stuttering / pauses a lot (Openelec 3.95.2)0