[Feature Request] Torrent Streaming (PopcornTime-like)
Popcorn Time has made quite a buzz over the world because of it's ease to use and friendly interface. The thing is that I believe XBMC could do much better than that.

I came to know that a developer has made such a feature as an addon and it's very, very good. But I believe the experience itself would be much better if it was built in XBMC itself.

Of course I don't expect that XBMC comes already loaded with tons of sites to retrieve content from. It should be up to the user to add the ones they want and as much as they want.

It could be a separated item on the main menu, such like "Streaming", or the user could add a website as a video source and update the library with it's content.

I suggest you - if you don't already know about it, of course - to take a look on XBMCTorrent by steeve (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174736). It's quite an amazing addon - perhaps one of the best there is - and I believe it could be the beginning of the greatly awesome future of XBMC.

I really believe it would take XBMC to the next level.
What you are suggesting is piracy within the XBMC core app, this won't ever happen as it could land XBMC in a whole load of legal trouble.

There are add-ons that do what you suggest, but again because of potential legal issues discussion of such add-ons is not allowed on these forums.
(2014-03-19, 07:21)YShin Wrote: I really believe it would take XBMC to the next level.

I agree. It would take XBMC to the same level as dvdfab. Loss of domains, lawyers, and oblivion.
(2014-03-19, 17:31)TugboatBill Wrote:
(2014-03-19, 07:21)YShin Wrote: I really believe it would take XBMC to the next level.

I agree. It would take XBMC to the same level as dvdfab. Loss of domains, lawyers, and oblivion.

DVDfab got shut down because they break DVD encryption. XBMC already breaks DVD encryption in playback, but it seems no one cares when you don't charge money for the program.
I wasn't suggesting a source-preloaded feature. It would essentially be a torrent client with streaming option.

That's not piracy. It would be just what uTorrent already does today, with the streaming feature and everything, but the content source, as it already is today, would be totally up to the user.

There are legal torrent-based services. The piracy content would be up to the user, just as it is today with the download of the content that builds XBMC's libraries.

This is not that different of what XBMC does today. It would only cut a third-party torrent software and embed torrent downloading within XBMC. uTorrent itself is not illegal. Is it?
It's not, but embedding a torrent client inside of XBMC is not going to happen, and for various reasons mostly unrelated to piracy.
wasn't dvdfab taken down because of Blu-ray decryption? Who cares about DVDs these days.

Also we try to slim down XBMC core and move stuff as much as possible to addons, so if there already is a working addon there is no reason to add it to the core. If those addons would require more entry points/hooks inside XBMC for better integration, and these are generic enough to be of use for other addons as well, then this is what you should try to get into core.
That's what I thought too, but it was over the DVD ripping.
a streaming torrent client alreadys exists for xmbc so why include it in the core.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174736

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Torrent Streaming (PopcornTime-like)0