should i mod or should i start over?
hope i am asking in the correct place.

very basic skinning question?

for a beginner - is it better to mod a skin or start from scratch?

lets say a skin already exists that has all the features and functions you want, but you would like a totally new look. i mean changing 95% of the graphics.

is it practical or not to just replace and reposition all the graphics of the skin to remake it as you like?

thank you
(2014-03-19, 15:23)mxlance Wrote: hope i am asking in the correct place.

very basic skinning question?

for a beginner - is it better to mod a skin or start from scratch?

lets say a skin already exists that has all the features and functions you want, but you would like a totally new look. i mean changing 95% of the graphics.

is it practical or not to just replace and reposition all the graphics of the skin to remake it as you like?

thank you
mxlance,

Best bet in your case would be to create a new 'Theme' for your chosen skin. That is you find out the names and sizing of the graphics files used in your skin and then replace any images you feel need replacing. Once you are happy with your new files you repack the changed files in a new .xbt file (give it a new name so that the skin can still use any images that you have not changed from the skins default textures.xbt file) and then place the new .xbt file you created in the skins media directory. Then you go into the Appearance setting menu and select "- Theme" to change to your new theme.

If you need to change text colouring, you will need to also copy the default.xml file in the skins 'colors' directory, make any changes you require to this file and then save this file back to the "colors" directory with the same name as your .xbt file. So for example "foobar.xbt" in the "media" directory and foobar.xml in the "colors" directory.

This is a nice gently start to skin coding/modding and I'm not sure why a lot more people don't make use of this to customise their favourite skins.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
thank you for the reply!

this sounds like good advice to start.
what if i want to make deeper changes.

for example moving the home menu, the sub menus and add an icon that is not currently present.
plus create a new view that does not follow any of the skins formats.

this seems to go further than just making a theme version.

is modding still a good idea or am i in new territory?

i have grand plans for a new skin. i have a lot to learn and modding seems to be the best place to start. however some times remodeling a house is a good idea and some times it is more cost and time effective to build new from the ground up. if you get my meaning? this iid what i am trying to figure out.

thanks again
I say start with modding because the skinning engine is quite complex and you will gain a good understanding of how things work through modding. If something doesn't work you can just revert things back until it does to see what you did wrong whereas starting from scratch you might get stumped about why something is not working and spend a lot of time working out why. Only start from scratch once you feel you have a strong sense of how the skinning engine works and a good solid idea about exactly what you want to achieve. Also make sure you have a lot of time to dedicate to it! Skinning from scratch will take many months of work to complete everything.

To use your remodelling/building analogy: you would never try to build a house from scratch without first learning and developing skills about bricklaying, mixing cement, plastering, foundation and frame building, electrical wiring etc. etc. If you were learning along the way you would make lots of mistakes in the foundation that you would only realise at the end and then would want to tear down the house and start again anyway.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
thank you for the reply.
modding seemed like the best place to start but i wanted to hear it from the more experienced.

regarding my remodeling analogy: you extended it beyond the basic point i was making, though your comments are most certainly valid. it is also possible to jump right in and build from the ground up if you have an experienced and willing support system.

however remodeling a skin shall be my path.

thanks again for your help in confirming my suspicions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
should i mod or should i start over?0