Steps to update my xbmc skin from Frodo to Gotham
In my free time (which isn't much) I've been working on my own skin and teaching myself XML and xbmc skinning.

I started a fresh with it when Frodo was released and have made a lot of progress.

A lot of work, time and frustration has gone into getting it to the point it is now, and even though its not complete and no where near as fancy as some of skins on here I have a clean simple interface me and the family use our media centre.

Now with Gotham in beta and various changes in the menus being released I'm a little worried I'll have to start again.

How do you guys keep your skins up-to-date between major versions.

In still learning and have learnt but my knowledge is lacking some and I'm not sure how to proceed going forward with my skin.

I would like not to have to start again from scratch as it took me this long to get this far so any a pro's advice is very much appreciated.
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)
There is a thread stickied at the top of the forum that has all the skinning engine changes:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158812

Most things should still work really. One main change that you will probably need to address is the change from script-XBMC-Subtitles-main.xml to DialogSubtitles.xml

The other thing is the new positioning system. Everything pretty much still works except for right aligned labels positioning -- see this thread for more details: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176115
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
The biggest things you will need to change are the positioning system, the subtitles and the settings level button which was added.
After that the skin should be working more or less ok in Gotham and you can take a little more time to fix the smaller stuff.

Generally speaking you want to keep an eye on the skinning forum, there is always a thread during development of a new version that lists changes that need to be made to support that version.
If you make the change to your 'nextversion' branch during the year it is really just a little bit of effort.
also you need take care of the update library button.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks guys.

Been thinking about restarting with confluence base and trying another idea.

My current attempt is great but a little bit of a mess where I been playing and learning.

If I start again my aim is to keep it clean as possible now I have a bit better understanding.

Next task get my head around git branches Smile
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Steps to update my xbmc skin from Frodo to Gotham0