Headless Media server
Hi Forum,

I had been a long time XBMC user, start from Xbox till recently. I got more and more HTPCs, and then replaced by media stream devices. Manage those stream player become some kind of headache. I tried USB stick, and later PXE with MySQL and so on.

Recently, I find Plex Media Server, and tried it with my FreeNAS server. I'm really happy with the result. I can manage my videos in one place, and play them in many stream devices. No more mysql setup, thumbnail cleanup, script modification ...

Of cause, Plex Media Server and player also have some limitation, for example subtitle support had to be transcode. But it really make my life much easier. For $5 on Roku, I'm glad to pay.

Why don't XBMC have something like this? Instead of ask user to setup MySQL server, manually modify XBMC setting file. Clean up fan arts with some third part program, look up and down to find where is the startup script to modify for PXE support.

Probably that's the different between an open source project and commercial product. But really, XBMC is so good, not far from perfect. Many of those great commercial product was forked from XBMC, why can't XBMC make few step forward to be perfect?

Just my 2 cents.

Noodle

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Headless Media server0