• 7(current)
Solved XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos
want a solution? install windows 7 or make a dual boot linux/windows and install xbmc on windows...
sorry but its the truth, unless someone comes up with a proper fix.
it cant be expected from an user who has hundreds of repositories to go one by one checking which ones have this bug....
its just not logical

i'm hoping and truly believing that some linux genius will find a decent solution for this problem. they always do Smile
otherwise as i said: dual boot

(2014-03-22, 08:54)Thehypnotist Wrote:
(2014-03-21, 19:20)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-03-21, 08:39)Thehypnotist Wrote: Hello gents I'm new to linux but am a keen user if xbmc on linux mint.
I have a few questions 1. Where do I find the info on how to access the location of said repo's
2. How do I delete said repo's after locating them.
I appreciate any and advice.
Thank you in advance.

Open 'Home' folder
Select .xbmc
Select 'addons'
You will find the repositories in that folder
Click 'file' - 'create new folder' - rename it to something like 'repos_old' - then move the affected repos into that ok
(this way once fix is implemented you can move them back)
I guess where my newbie knowledge comes undone as my home folder (linux mint 16) does contain xbmc folders infact finding out where my program folder are is just not possible.
Thank you for the tips will keep looking

open the file manager
then you have to enable "show hidden folders"
go to your home folder (your name on the left)
now you can see a folder called .xbmc
inside there is a folder called addons. there should be the repos
Install windows?? ROFLMAO!! The problem was triggered by a change on GitHubs part. It also effects windows(ie empty repos). Just not as severely as on linux(ie crashing). Changing the repos addon.xml might be a temp fix that can be done on the developers side, but xbmc shouldnt just crash on linux. Maybe some error catching on xbmcs side would be a little helpful also? Its not an issue that will come out very often. but when its identified it needs to be delt with in the software. Not by telling people to change operating systems.
(2014-03-22, 16:44)MMeirolas Wrote: want a solution? install windows 7

LOL

I thought this was a support forum?
Now we suggest to people how to destroy a perfectly good computer?Tongue
(2014-03-22, 08:54)Thehypnotist Wrote: I guess where my newbie knowledge comes undone as my home folder (linux mint 16) does contain xbmc folders infact finding out where my program folder are is just not possible.
Thank you for the tips will keep looking

I have linux mint 16 too - .xbmc folder should come be directly in your home folder

(2014-03-22, 16:44)MMeirolas Wrote: then you have to enable "show hidden folders"

I should have pointed out this step:
With the home files window open, click on 'view' in the menu and check the 'Show Hidden Files'
Then you should see .xbmc, (most likely be the last folder in the group).
Note that is .xbmc ('dot'xbmc)

Then open that folder and follow the previous instructions:
i.e. double-click .xbmc; double-click addons - you will see the repositories listed in that addons folder.
And continue as previously indicated
Install Windoze 7?

Some people either have a good sense of humour or are exactly......

As for people using a real OS (Linux), is there any news on the GIThub situation?
I noticed that my XBMC install is still unstable. Using the disconnect the internet solution, reconnect, to get some use of the system when I need to.
I am in Canada (SUMMER IS COMING......Tyrion Joke) and there has been a mention that the CDN host is still having difficulty.

When a fix does come out, how will it be pushed?
Or will this have to be a manual fix?

I really hope for an automated push.
I really hate playing the role of a coder....
(2014-03-22, 16:44)MMeirolas Wrote: want a solution? install windows 7 or make a dual boot linux/windows and install xbmc on windows...
sorry but its the truth, unless someone comes up with a proper fix.

What a joke!
Windows will still have the problem getting the repos from github; the only difference (albeit significant) is that Windows XBMC will not crash as result of the github response.
In fact once you move out the repositories in XBMC Linux, XBMC in Linux will behave no differently than in Windows - in that it will operate with whatever addons you already have enabled, but will not be able to update them, or add new ones from a Github based repository. NO DIFFERENT ON WINDOWS IN THAT RESPECT. Maybe just not as obvious because the platform does not crash.
If you Windoze users doubt, just try to refresh or add a new repository - you will find it is empty!

I believe Github is working to resolve the issue at their end
I would still like to see some effort by the XBMC team to at least remove the potential for linux xbmc crashing in this event.
I believe there is trouble ticket posted and am confident they will look at this.

But obviously either Github needs to resolve their change - which DOES affect Windoze users - or the third party addon developers need to either change their format or move to another host for the final solution which is outwith XBMC's control.
Where is the evidence that it affects any platform other than Linux??
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@jmarshall on windows these repos stay empty, but no crashes. When I updated my rep to use the ?new raw.github links it then works fine both platforms.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Thanks bossanova808 - by the looks you get the crypto error, so there's some issue there (same cause of crash under linux).

Hopefully we can find a workaround.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The easiest way to get XBMC to start working again is to run the following in a terminal:

Quote:mkdir ~/.xbmc/addons/backups && mv ~/.xbmc/addons/repository* ~/.xbmc/addons/backups

Once the issue has been fixed you can restore your repositories by moving them back from the backup folder.
(2014-03-22, 23:35)jmarshall Wrote: .... Hopefully we can find a workaround.

I don't think it's xbmc's responsibility (& likely not even capability) to work around the rejection by Github which affects ALL OS platforms -
As I said earlier, that is going to have to be down to Github &/or individual repository owners, to either re-format or move them to another host.
However it would be good on XBMC's part to at least resolve the Linux crashes as a result of the Guthub response

(2014-03-22, 23:35)negge Wrote: The easiest way to get XBMC to start working again is to run the following in a terminal:

Quote:mkdir ~/.xbmc/addons/backups && mv ~/.xbmc/addons/repository* ~/.xbmc/addons/backups

That is good recommendation in how to execute in one line from the Terminal window - just copy this code, paste & enter. Image

Or as previously described, can do same from the desktop system.
Wrote a pathetic ass-halfed python script to fix my addons on Ubuntu. The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

Please make sure your ~/.xbmc folder is backed up first!

WARNING:
USE AT OWN RISK! Only spent a few minutes writing this script, so I high recommend looking through the code to make sure it won't screw you. No error handling and not very safe. But it worked for me. Tongue

Script:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155557
(2014-03-22, 23:35)negge Wrote: The easiest way to get XBMC to start working again is to run the following in a terminal:

Once the issue has been fixed you can restore your repositories by moving them back from the backup folder.

Thank you
Thank you bossanova808. You saved me from getting myself into trouble. I know I'm not suggesting much. Maybe just a try and except statement around the "check repos for updates" block of the code? That might be all it takes to stop the crashing on linux. You guys know the code, I dont. Oh, and maybe a installable patch. It happens in both Frodo and Gotham by the way. The rest is up to GitHub and the develpers using it.
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: Wrote a pathetic ass-halfed python script to fix my addons on Ubuntu. The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

you, sir, are an ass-halfed genius. fixed mine right up. thank you Smile

turns out my offending addon was hdtrailers.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos1