• 9(current)
Solved XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos
Hello to all, firstly a big thank you for helping me to gain access to.xbmc I moved all GitHub repos to a saved folder but xbmc still crashes not always but when I have finished watching or searching out things to watch. As far as I am aware I have no adult repos loaded so therefore should it still be crashing?
(2014-03-25, 12:24)Thehypnotist Wrote: Hello to all, firstly a big thank you for helping me to gain access to.xbmc I moved all GitHub repos to a saved folder but xbmc still crashes not always but when I have finished watching or searching out things to watch. As far as I am aware I have no adult repos loaded so therefore should it still be crashing?
Full debug log or. crash log will reveal the secret.
i get this when applying the fix:

File "XBMCFix.py", line 3
import getpass, os, re
^
IndentationError: unexpected indent
bad copy and paste. Download the file directly or make sure that space/tabs are not messed up.
Initially i opened a new thread, but have been re-directed here.
Just adding my post in for completeness as this says solved now.

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=159533

Not 100% sure when this started, but i cant download anything from the repo
I thought i saw someone else post about this, but now cant find the thread.

[code
10:57:59 T:14892 ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: SSL connect error(35)
10:57:59 T:14892 ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.
10:57:59 T:14892 ERROR: XFILE::CFileCache::Open - failed to open source <http://github.com/t0mm0/t0mm0-xbmc-plugins/raw/master/addons.xml.md5>
[/code]

Can see the fix script a page or two back, what is the official line on this?
Should we apply the fix, or is something more global coming to fix this?
the issue is a mixture of githubs certificate handling and a bug in gnutls. We don't have a solution atm, besides forcing everyone to switch to curl-openssl instead of the default curl-gnutls.
(2014-03-27, 17:09)wsnipex Wrote: the issue is a mixture of githubs certificate handling and a bug in gnutls. We don't have a solution atm, besides forcing everyone to switch to curl-openssl instead of the default curl-gnutls.

Are there any instructions on how to make this change? Would it require a complete re-compilation on the part of the end users? FWIW, has anyone contacted the maintainers of the curl-gnutls package to make them aware of the crash and/or filled a bug report for them? TIA
the next build in the nightly ppa should hopefully be fixed by linking against libcurl-openssl. ETA ~ 4-5h. Please try it an report back
Fix, if included in last nights nightly, didnt work for me.
Logs:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=160252
this thread is about linux builds, not win32
okay no worries, will wait for a windows fix.
I have been experiencing this issue also.

I found a solution that doesn't involve removing the repositories.

There was a hint on this board that this issue was due to a git issue and the curl-gnutls package.

On my Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy) system, I downgraded the libcurl3-gnutls package.

The libcurl3-gnutls package was upgraded on 2014-03-20 at 05:42:18 to version 7.32.0-1ubuntu1.3.
This is also when the issues started for me.

I downgraded the version by executing the following command:
apt-get install libcurl3-gnutls=7.32.0-1ubuntu1

Now I am able to access all the repositories as they were before the crash was happening.

I hope this helps others out there.

UPDATE: This works for other versions of Ubuntu (except Trusty -- because the only version of this package available for Trusty contains this bug).
You can list available packages that you can downgrade to by running: apt-cache madison libcurl3-gnutls
Fix for empty repository (not the crash under linux!) for those platforms that use depends (osx/ios/android/rpi) is available:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4484

I believe Linux *may* already be fixed once B3 is up (next day or so) - the nightly above has the fix, but it may depend somewhat on the version of openssl in use.

EDIT: Builds are up, e.g:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg

Look in the other test-builds folders for the same revision. These are B3 + other fixes.

Win32 will require someone to rebuild curl I believe.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Linux should already be fixed in the nightly PPA. Upcoming Beta3 will have it too.
Is Linux using the appropriate openssl version? i.e. are the repositories actually fetched, or do they remain empty (with just the crash being fixed) ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

• 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos1