Solved Audiobooks
I don't want to seem like an ungrateful Git... BUT
As far back as 2008 people have been asking for Audiobook support, and unless I've missed something It Still Doesn't Exist !
Which is rather surprising considering you have your choice of 3 different BitTorrent clients without ever leaving XBMC. Not to mention a host of other wonderful add-ons... Thank-you very much.

I realize Asking for an Audiobook Scraper, at this time, is pretty stupid.
BUT a Resume function in the Music section would go a long way.
The Video Resume Function is Fantastic, second to none.
Is it really any harder to add a resume function to the Music section, or has it just never been seen as necessary before?

And and and, a way to manually edit the Album and Song information (without the need of a scraper) would pretty much seal the deal in my opinion.

If you think these are features that wouldn't get much use, take a stroll over to Amazon or Audible and rethink your position. They're turning nearly every printed book into an audiobook and selling them like hotcakes.

Yeah we can cob in a new source under Music, add our own Cover Art, split the mp3's into manageable chunks and manually edit the Mp3 tags... but what a time consuming pain.
How cool would it be to have full XBMC support and not have to go through that
It's a feature that's serious lacking and would be deeply appreciated.
New things require new people to work on/add those things. That's how most new things get added to XBMC.
(2014-03-20, 10:37)Ned Scott Wrote: New things require new people to work on/add those things. That's how most new things get added to XBMC.

No doubt!
If I knew anything about code, I'd already be working on it instead of simply talking about it.

I was simply asking if it was a do-able thing... and if anyone would be willing to fill the need.
Those who cannot do, beg of those who can.

I had thought this was the sort of thing one posts in the feature suggestion section.
Our idea of what would make a great HTPC a little bit better.

It is one of the most remarkable pieces of software available and I seriously appreciate everyone who invested time in it. Not trying to give anyone an attitude, just trying to generate some interest.
some basic support (chapter browsing, resume support) can be found in my fork at https://github.com/notspiff/xbmc-cmake

limited to .m4b's for now. don't expect me to do much more on it, i just was curious how much it would take (was about 2h work to get where this is at).
(2014-03-22, 16:17)ironic_monkey Wrote: some basic support (chapter browsing, resume support) can be found in my fork at https://github.com/notspiff/xbmc-cmake

limited to .m4b's for now. don't expect me to do much more on it, i just was curious how much it would take (was about 2h work to get where this is at).

Too Cool!
Thank you Ironic_monkey.

I will for sure install it on a test box and give a good run through.
(cough cough, I'll also have to convert some to .m4b as they're all mp3s at present)
But you still rule!
I would also love to see pause, resume, bookmark functionality for audio. Mainly for use with audiobooks in my library.

Better still would be an entire section devoted to audiobooks within xbmc so there are 3 main categories: Movies, Music, Audiobooks

I realise the latter is a lot to ask though since we can use smart playlists to create an audiobook entry on the main menu.
i was bored again. you can find what you ask for in my fork; a dedicated library node for audio books. i also added basic support for mp3s.
(2014-04-16, 19:55)ironic_monkey Wrote: i was bored again. you can find what you ask for in my fork; a dedicated library node for audio books. i also added basic support for mp3s.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
Thanks ironic_monkey. I too have been looking for m4b support for quite some time now.

Now, just to show how much of a noob I am; I can't make heads or tails on how would one go about installing your addon.

Thanks in advance for your help
(2014-04-23, 14:35)kingkrown Wrote: Thanks ironic_monkey. I too have been looking for m4b support for quite some time now.

Now, just to show how much of a noob I am; I can't make heads or tails on how would one go about installing your addon.

Thanks in advance for your help

It's not really an add-on, but a modified version of XBMC. You'd need to compile (wiki) that version in order to use it. There's a good chance that this will eventually be added to the main features of XBMC, but that would have to wait until v13 Gotham is released, as it is currently in a "feature freeze".
(2014-04-16, 19:55)ironic_monkey Wrote: i was bored again. you can find what you ask for in my fork; a dedicated library node for audio books. i also added basic support for mp3s.

Would you mind submitting a pull request to XBMC master so this can be reviewed and hopefully added after the feature freeze?

Regards

Shaolin

PS. My sincerest thanks for your time and work in adding audiobook support.
yes, i would very much mind. i don't work with upstream.
Sorry for the cross post, but just in case anyone is watching this thread.

I'm currently working on an addon to support Audiobooks, if you have any comments, then please feel free to add to the following thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239859

Thanks

Rob

P.S. I'm not watching this thread, so will not see anything posted on it, please post to the above thread if you wanted me to see it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audiobooks0