Req uPNP - Play Using...
First off, i am still using a nightly from pre-beta1
Things may have already changed, and i think i saw a post saying its broken in beta 2 anyway - not sure.

My point...
When using "Play Using" the controlling version of XBMC seems to stay permanently connected to that instance whilst the file is playing.
Is this the expected outcome?

I my use case, i would want to use the Play Using from my front room to start something in another room in the house for someone else, but then carry on with what i am watching in the living room. At the moment this doesnt look to be possible, have i just missed part of this new feature?
Same if i was playing music, id want to throw a track at another xbmc instance and have that playing, but then be able to load up a video or stream and have the music uninterupted on the other instance.

Would selecting play using local, after selecting play using another upnp client, stop the other instance or just disconnect from it, and keep it playing?

I hope this makes sense and isnt too much of a mad ramble.
Just look at it more like Play Using is like playing on a external player instead of the internal. That is how it is implemented right now. And that is the reason why nothing from what you wrote will work.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the confirmation.
I look forward to seeing what other enhancements come in future versions!
(2014-03-20, 12:09)DoubleT Wrote: I my use case, i would want to use the Play Using from my front room to start something in another room in the house for someone else, but then carry on with what i am watching in the living room. At the moment this doesnt look to be possible, have i just missed part of this new feature?
Same if i was playing music, id want to throw a track at another xbmc instance and have that playing, but then be able to load up a video or stream and have the music uninterupted on the other instance.

You're probably already aware of this but...
You can accomplish the same desired results (namely streaming media from a different tower) by simply creating a new source on all the other "Instances". The difference being, the new source looks over the network and points to Music, TV, or Movie folder on the main media tower (or the computer where the media is actually stored). This leaves you able to stream media from one box to another with no downloading required and without effecting XBMC on the main media tower. Getting the New Source set-up for Music, TV Shows, or Movies might take a few false tries, but you only have to do it once. After that, as long as the main media tower is powered up, all the other "Instances" act like the remote media is stored on that box (with the notable exception of a pause for each selected file to buffer).

This doesn't address your "Play Using" issue but it could give you an effective work-around.
What you're requesting is probably more a "send to" feature. Standard UPNP behaviour is what we have implemented atm - so that the sender is the controller and the receiver only the renderer/display (renderer could also be your TV)
(2014-03-20, 12:09)DoubleT Wrote: When using "Play Using" the controlling version of XBMC seems to stay permanently connected to that instance whilst the file is playing.
Is this the expected outcome?

Yes.

Quote:I my use case, i would want to use the Play Using from my front room to start something in another room in the house for someone else, but then carry on with what i am watching in the living room. At the moment this doesnt look to be possible, have i just missed part of this new feature?

No. It hasn't been designed for use in a distributed fashion.

Quote:Same if i was playing music, id want to throw a track at another xbmc instance and have that playing, but then be able to load up a video or stream and have the music uninterupted on the other instance.

I think you want this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187860
Guys, thanks for all of your comments.
This is the first time ive used uPNP in ernest, so the comment of "Standard UPNP behaviour is what we have implemented atm" explains it perfectly for me.

Thinking more into it, i can achieve what i want already just using the remote interface of the other client, easily done on a tablet, but not within xbmc.
With a shared db this would allow me to "pause & continue" in another room as well.

Going to look into multi xbmc add-ons, would be great, for me, if i could throw media at another screen from the front room.
shouldnt be too hard with a json call to the other instances.
I'm not sure why the person in the other room needs you to start their movies, but you could use yatse on an android phone or tablet to control each and every xbmc instance in your house.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
because they fall into the "i refuse to help myself" and the "i cant be bothered to learn anything" groups.
in reality its easiest to just do it for them, than explain for the 100th time that they are hopeless and dont deserve tv.

Yeah i already use Yatse and the XBMC Remote, i was just curious to see if there was another option within XBMC that meant i dont have to switch device to deal with this. I though the play using might be it.

da-anda summed it up perfectly, i want "send to" not "play using", and there are plenty of options already available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
uPNP - Play Using...0