Cropping, should I downscale too?
Sorry, if I am posting this in the wrong place, I can't post to off-topic, and I do not see a category appropriate for this question.

I am looking at cropping 4:3 animated content to 16:9 (creators intention). Would I be better served leaving it at 1440:810 or downscaling it to 1280:720? I guess this is being asked in terms of observed quality (scaling on display) and overall ease of playback (unknown if issues using irregular sizes).

Will be played through xbmc HTPC.
Using handbrake to do the cropping.
1920:1080 display
I NEVER crop content, however if the source is HD then you can crop if you feel you must, but if it's 1080 then scale down to 720. If it's 720 then go down to 480/576. Although I would just leave it as 1.33
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Nice part of Handbrake is that you can preview.
Thanks.

I am guessing that sticking with a standard resolution is preferable for best playback. 480/576/720/1080 etc.

The content was designed for widescreen playback but was created with 4:3 for compatibility with older TVs, and no significant content is lost when cropping (animated this way). When the blu-ray was created, it should have been mastered in 16:9 but was left at 4:3. I would prefer the original intent which also removes the pillar box.

When using handbrake the it seems to come out pretty good. I wasn't sure if it would be better at the standard resolutions vs the cropped resolution. for the playback etc.
That's entirely up to you and what you prefer. If you're happy to lose detail, and say that it wasn't intended for 4:3, then crop it.

But please, never use handbrake. It's easy but produces subpar results. Command line is best.

(2014-03-21, 16:06)Piers Wrote: That's entirely up to you and what you prefer. If you're happy to lose detail, and say that it wasn't intended for 4:3, then crop it.

But please, never use handbrake. It's easy but produces subpar results. Command line is best.

How is it that a gui makes the transcode worse? Seriously im curious as to what you are talking about here. What command line options are not givin with the gui?
I think he is referring to using tools like ffmpeg/mplayer/etc directly instead of through handbrake.
(2014-03-22, 16:42)poplap Wrote: I think he is referring to using tools like ffmpeg/mplayer/etc directly instead of through handbrake.

Yep.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cropping, should I downscale too?0