5Ghz wifi without hub
Are there any 5GHz wifi 300Mbit/s usb dongles that work without a powered hub? I've searched and googled without being able to find one. I've also tried two different models that didn't work.
No, but why do you not want to use a powered hub??
That is the way to go with the Pi since it cannot supply much power to the USB connector.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Because my Pi is tucked in behind a wall mounted tv. Don't think there's room for a big hub.

I don't see why there shouldn't be compatible 5GHz two-stream dongles when there are 2,4GHz two-stream that work just fine (TL-821N V3). DWA-160 A2 doesn't work.
Better to ask this question on the Raspberry Pi forum (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/) as this is the XBMC forum.
Whatever you put into a Pi USB connector it cannot pull any significant power to operate. The Pi simply cannot supply power to attached units.
And any WiFi dongle will use up a significant amount of power be it a 2.5 or 5 GHz one and is not possible for direct connection. You simply MUST use a powered hub to supply the power to the device.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Ok, so I created an account here just to answer this question because it annoys me that people are saying the RPi cannot supply enough power. Did you even try for yourselves?

I am using my RPi connected with a standard Nokia charger and have both a Alfa AWUS051NH Wireless USB adapter AND a bluetooth USB keyboard connected. I stream wireless (5ghz) and I have zero problems streaming 1080p movies wireless at home. I have tried this with two different RPis and chargers without any problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5Ghz wifi without hub0