Bug XBMC Crashing video drivers only during play back, while navigating
Hello Everyone,

First time post here on the XBMC forums. I'd have to say Frodo and Gotham are pretty wonderful except for one tiny issue that is more an inconvenience than anything right now, but I'd really love to fix it.

Basically, I receive "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" with XBMC locking up fairly frequently. Matter of fact it's almost guarantied that it will happen any moment. However that being said it only happens during video playback, and while I am navigating the menu screen. For example if I am watching a video and decide to navigate to the settings menu. I might get there, it may let me change stuff, but sooner rather than later "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" will happen. This is the only application that experiences any problem. I am currently running Gotham beta 2 (only updated to see if this would be fixed) but this happened in the latest stable Frodo as well so I know this isn't a Gotham issue.

My setup:
Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD CCC 14.2 beta drivers (my current suspect, however this happened with the latest stable drivers as well)
AMD 7950x2 (CrossFireX mode, but a 3D application profile in the AMD CCC has it disabled for XBMC)
16GB RAM (because overkill is fun, and so are sales)
Intel core i5 3570k

Does anyone have any ideas? Does XBMC attempt to use crossfire and cause the instability? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
I would firstly suspect Crossfire to be the cause. It would also be very helpful if you could post a debug log. Instructions can be found here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Hello Piers, thank you for showing me the log file information.

Debug xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155329
Debug xbmc.old.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155331 <--- xbmc.log.old (since XBMC essentially freezes and needs to be shutdown)
XBMC crashlog: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155332

This particular crash happened almost immediately. The movie was playing, I brought up the main menu and tried to navigate, and it locked up showing me "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" in the system tray.

***XBMC has never once crashed when it's not playing a movie.
***I Also made a 3D Application profile in the AMD CCC, where I disabled AMD CrossFireX Mode for XBMC.
I think it's something a developer will need to comment on. You have a lot of add-ons installed but nothing jumps out.

Since I noticed in the old.log: ERROR: D3DERR_DEVICEHUNG and ERROR: CDecoder::Check - device didn't reset in reasonable, I would try the following:

1) Try running in windowed full screen mode instead of proper full screen (or vise-versa)

2) Disable all Windows power saving screen-related options (screensaver, display off)

3) Disable or set to maximum time all XBMC screensaver options and off-features.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
I have tried your suggestions but I am interested by your first comment "You have a lot of add-ons installed but nothing jumps out." I did get a few extra but not many. NextPVR connector, XBMC Backup, VideoExtras. I've gone ahead and disabled all of them before applying your suggestions. I do wonder though, do I have an abnormal amount of default addons? I've downloaded xbmc from xbmrc.org.

Screensaver options are off, both in XBMC and windows.
I turned power options off just now
I tried running it in Fullscreen mode (I typically run in windowed fullscreen)

No effect, display drivers still fail while playing a video and then navigating. Also, just to reinforce. It does not matter what video I watch
Update to the thread, I have confirmed that CrossFireX is the problem, but it's strange. I made a custom "3D Application Setting" entry for XBMC.exe and under the CrossFireX section I turned "Frame Pacing" and "AMD CrossFireX Mode" off, but XBMC will still crash with "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

The only way XBMC won't cause "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" is if I completely disable CrossFireX, globally. Obviously this is undesirable and a pain in the butt, but now I know what's going on.

I have also since moved onto the AMD 14.3 drivers, as well as XBMC 13 Beta 3. If anything it crashes much faster now than ever before.
Hello,

First time I post on the XBMC forums also... I have the exact same problem as Rakshasas.

XBMC provokes "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" with every Catalyst driver since 14.1. I also tested disabling CF and it works but is a terrible solution...

Setup:
Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1
Catalyst 14.1 beta to 14.4 WHQL shows error
R7950x2 CF
Intel Core i7 4820K
ASUS Rampage IV Formula
16GB RAM

As a side note I'm using audio passthrough to a Denon Receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.
Out of curiosity, those 7950x2 Radeons. Are they from Powercolor? And as an update, now running Calalyst 14.4 and XBMC 13 RC1. No change.
(2014-04-29, 05:51)Rakshasas Wrote: Out of curiosity, those 7950x2 Radeons. Are they from Powercolor? And as an update, now running Calalyst 14.4 and XBMC 13 RC1. No change.

Nope, both are MSI xD
(2014-03-22, 08:19)Rakshasas Wrote: Hello Everyone,

First time post here on the XBMC forums. I'd have to say Frodo and Gotham are pretty wonderful except for one tiny issue that is more an inconvenience than anything right now, but I'd really love to fix it.

Basically, I receive "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" with XBMC locking up fairly frequently. Matter of fact it's almost guarantied that it will happen any moment. However that being said it only happens during video playback, and while I am navigating the menu screen. For example if I am watching a video and decide to navigate to the settings menu. I might get there, it may let me change stuff, but sooner rather than later "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" will happen. This is the only application that experiences any problem. I am currently running Gotham beta 2 (only updated to see if this would be fixed) but this happened in the latest stable Frodo as well so I know this isn't a Gotham issue.

My setup:
Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD CCC 14.2 beta drivers (my current suspect, however this happened with the latest stable drivers as well)
AMD 7950x2 (CrossFireX mode, but a 3D application profile in the AMD CCC has it disabled for XBMC)
Intel core i5 3570k

Does anyone have any ideas? Does XBMC attempt to use crossfire and cause the instability? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Still happening in current versions of amd catalyst drivers Dev version 14.9, this isn't an existing problem in XBMC version 12.1, 12.2, or 12.3 works fantastic with crossfire enabled. but the problems started in all releases versions of gotham and Kodi 13.x & 14.x releases.

So i do think its an outstanding issues in XBMC that has been overlooked and needing to be address. Found this forum from this trouble ticket filed and still unresolved http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15155 filed over 6months ago. Whom else should we report this too. maybe the AMD driver team i suppose not sure if they would see this as there problem.

Since its all fine and dandy using any version of XBMC/KODI with Global Crossfire Being completely disabled.

Thank you for reporting this so it was searchable on google search and i was able to locate this.

Hi5 all happy streaming! hopefully will see a fix for this someday!

going to try this out "(CrossFireX mode, but a 3D application profile in the AMD CCC has it disabled for XBMC)"

Justin Cram
[email protected] :d2invoker: :lolKogmaw:

My setup:
Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media center Edition
AMD CCC 14.9 beta drivers
AMD XFX R9 280x-x2 (CrossFireX mode disabled for Global)
32GB RAM
AMD FX Processor Black Edition FX4130
AMD 9 Chipset
Gigabyte UD3 990FXA with full crossfire support.
SSD Drives 1.5 TB
(2014-03-22, 08:19)Rakshasas Wrote: Hello Everyone,

My setup:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel core i5 3570k

Could you edit the Subject title of this thread to something like this it would help this BUG gain some traction/recognition or helping with more reports being turned in. Thanks in advanced Hi5 guys!
"XBMC Crashes Using AMD Global Crossfire mode settings in Catalyst Control Center" "D3DERR_DEVICEHUNG and D3DERR_DEVICELOST" & "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Justin Cram
DyingJedi
Sorry, this is an AMD driver bug (one of the many) I don't think we can do anything about it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-26, 20:02)fritsch Wrote: Sorry, this is an AMD driver bug (one of the many) I don't think we can do anything about it.

Thanks for your reply!

If it so, & it is in fact plain & simple an AMD problem, then why doesn't this exist in the XBMC releases 12.x all versions it doesn't even remotely happen to the those outdated versions of XBMC i have been forced to upgrade because most add-ons are moving forward and dropping support for 12.3 etc. everyday so ive had to upgrade and so i can not use my global crossfire with any versions XBMC (Gotham) Kodi with crossfireX Enabled or walla crashing...

SO point is the drivers compiled in the 12.x WORK and are definitely different so that in my mind equals to something in the D3d driver being complied have changed between the three major versions.

can't you folks do a simple notepad++ check against the three driver versions and find out what its doing. actually i may see if i can show the differences and ill post here.

Justin Cram
DyingJedi

Wait if its a AMD BUG, can't you folks report it to the DEVS at amd so they may look into this deeper?
No, we can't. We tried to work with the AMD closed source department for years and every driver was worse than the other, so basically we gave up.

Remember: No matter what an application does - the driver should never ever crash.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-26, 20:21)fritsch Wrote: No, we can't. We tried to work with the AMD closed source department for years and every driver was worse than the other, so basically we gave up.

Remember: No matter what an application does - the driver should never ever crash.

Could you explain what changed in the compiling changes of the D3D changes between 12.x .13.x & 14.x? please so maybe we could report back to amd or our dev's the differences in changes?

Like where would i start to investigate the complied D3d Drivers so i may actually be able to see the differences in my notpad++ using side by side mode and compare them?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Crashing video drivers only during play back, while navigating2