Registration emails spammed as babylon.xbmc.org has no spf record
I have just signed up to the forums and my registration conformation email was spammed. No great problem I know but still annoying.

I looked into it and it appears you guys simply need to included babylon.xbmc.org in the xbmc.org DNS spf records.

Below is the email header I received and the xbmc.org spf record for your (and anyone else who's interested) info.
Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; spf=softfail (sender IP is 209.105.237.146) smtp.mailfrom=forum-user@xbmc.org; dkim=none header.d=xbmc.org; x-hmca=fail header.id=modforum@xbmc.org
X-SID-PRA: modforum@xbmc.org
X-AUTH-Result: FAIL
X-SID-Result: FAIL

xbmc.org spf record:
SPF = v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all
Yes either that or have the forum actually send mail through google apps Smile

Thanks for the heads up
I have changed our SPF record to v=spf1 include=_spf.google.com ptr=xbmc.org ~all

This should enable us to keep using our google apps mail as well as have our servers send outside without ending up in spam folders.

I'll test it in a few hours once DNS has synced.
Just tested by signing up from hotmail.

The message was still considered spam (urgh), but the good news is that the SPF was not rejected anymore. Smile

Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; spf=pass (sender IP is 209.105.237.146) smtp.mailfrom=forum-user@xbmc.org; dkim=none header.d=xbmc.org; x-hmca=pass header.id=modforum@xbmc.org
X-SID-PRA: modforum@xbmc.org
X-AUTH-Result: PASS
X-SID-Result: PASS
Hi Kib,

Thanks for looking into this, now the messages from the forum are coming straight to my inbox, many thanks from me and those likewise afflicted by nanny email scanning!
Nice catch, alexandar! Hopefully that'll cut down quite a bit on some parts of this job.
Hi,

I'm still having difficulties receiving the activation email using my hotmail account.
I changed my account to my work email temporarily and the activation message came through successfully.

I've since changed my email back to my hotmail and now the "you've changed your email" confirmation message is not coming through.

I'm not sure how to track the header info in hotmail so can't provide any logs I'm afraid but thought I'd at least report the issue.

Cheers
(2014-05-06, 13:42)wheeliemonster Wrote: Hi,

I'm still having difficulties receiving the activation email using my hotmail account.
I changed my account to my work email temporarily and the activation message came through successfully.

I've since changed my email back to my hotmail and now the "you've changed your email" confirmation message is not coming through.

I'm not sure how to track the header info in hotmail so can't provide any logs I'm afraid but thought I'd at least report the issue.

Cheers

It's fairly straight forward to see the message headers in Hotmail, if you look at the menu bar at the right you should see 3 dots (...), click on them and a sub-menu should open. At the bottom of the list click the option 'View Message Source' and there you go!
Thanks Alexander, however, the messages just aren't coming through, either to Junk or Inbox, so I can't see the messages, let alone the headers!!

I would really like to get my forum account to use my hotmail, so if you have any other suggestions, they'd be very welcome!
You'll have to talk to the moderator and see if they can check the mail logs and see what's happening between the servers, sorry I can't help.
Geez louise team hotmail doesn't work, yahoo doesn't work. Can we get these working?
(2014-05-23, 14:38)ocanada_techguy Wrote: Geez louise team hotmail doesn't work, yahoo doesn't work. Can we get these working?

ask hotmail why they block our emails and let us know please.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I think Alexander's great catch means it's not completely blocked anymore. There still is an extra step/caution needed.
If we simply told people to ADD modforum@xbmc.com or all of @xbmc.org to their allow list in their hotmail or outlook or yahoo webmail advanced settings, THEN register, they will receive the registration. It might still start out in the Junk Mail, but that's better than never getting it whatsoever.
Probably alexander's catch is what was needed to fix it so that it now works that way, but yeah, seems like now IF they add the address/domain is in the trusted sender list the user/new registrant can expect to receive the notifications now, at least initially as junk and not completely blocked.
So maybe change it to say that now, or is there another reason why it reads DON"T use hotmail etc.

Kudos and thanks alexander_ac and kib ! Thanks all.
(2014-05-24, 02:58)ocanada_techguy Wrote: I think Alexander's great catch means it's not completely blocked anymore. There still is an extra step/caution needed.
If we simply told people to ADD modforum@xbmc.com or all of @xbmc.org to their allow list in their hotmail or outlook or yahoo webmail advanced settings, THEN register, they will receive the registration. It might still start out in the Junk Mail, but that's better than never getting it whatsoever.
Probably alexander's catch is what was needed to fix it so that it now works that way, but yeah, seems like now IF they add the address/domain is in the trusted sender list the user/new registrant can expect to receive the notifications now, at least initially as junk and not completely blocked.
So maybe change it to say that now, or is there another reason why it reads DON"T use hotmail etc.

Kudos and thanks alexander_ac and kib ! Thanks all.

I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work. I've got nothing in my test hotmail account, not even in the junk folder. modforum@xbmc.com has been specifically added to my safe sender list.

Thanks for the idea, though.
Has anyone checked the mail server logs?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Registration emails spammed as babylon.xbmc.org has no spf record0