Can't access laptop via SMB
I have some problem with my LAN and, although not being a deal breaker, it's kind of annoying.
I have a Raspberry Pi running openelec (Frodo) on the living room.
My internet setup is the following: On the closet I have a D-link modem/router (which has only 1 ethernet output, let's call it router 1). Connected to that router is a 5-port switch. The switch is then connected to other divisions in the house, namely :
- my bedroom, which has a router serving as an acess point (let's call it router 2) to extend the wireless signal on the house
- the living room which has the Raspberry Pi connected to the TV

Here is the diagram I made when exposing this issue on another site.

Now the problem:

What I want is to have video files on my laptop, on a shared folder, and watch them on the xbmc. I think I have everything setup right with the sharing on my laptop. When the laptop is connected to the router 1 via wireless and i look it up in the xbmc I can't find it, but if I run the windows troubleshooter saying my laptop can't be accessed on the network is automatically corrects the problem and the laptop shows up on the openelec using SMB. But then if I try to connect it I get a "Connection Refused" error.

On the other hand, if my laptop is connected wirelessly to router 2 (the access point), the laptop will show up on the xbmc and I can connect without any error and play the videos just fine. Now the funny thing is: If I access the laptop with it connected to router 2, and after I'm in, I move the pc to where the router 1 is and connect to it, I won't lose the xmbc connection and can watch movies just fine. This makes me think the problem is on the autentication, probably something wrong on router 1. I looked on the router page for something that could be blocking SMB traffic but couldn't find nothing.

Can you help me with this? Sorry If I was somewhat confusing, it's kinda hard to explain this. Ask if you have any doubts!

Regards
There have been, recently, several threads along these lines.
Lacking better information, I suggest you have a look at your routers for 2 things:
- whether there is a wireless isolation which has been set
- whether both routers are running DHCP servers
On the rest of the equipment (I assume that the PC which is moved above is the laptop) what the assigned IP addresses are, and what the routing tables show.
HTH
Derek
(2014-03-23, 09:48)dandnsmith Wrote: There have been, recently, several threads along these lines.
Lacking better information, I suggest you have a look at your routers for 2 things:
- whether there is a wireless isolation which has been set
- whether both routers are running DHCP servers
On the rest of the equipment (I assume that the PC which is moved above is the laptop) what the assigned IP addresses are, and what the routing tables show.
HTH

I couldn't find that wireless isolation setting in any of the routers (they are both 7+ years old).
Only the main router (router 1) is running DHCP Server, the second router (AP) has it disabled.
Yes the PC I move around is the laptop.

router 1 has the address 192.168.0.1
router 2 (AP) has 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.16 is the range saved for the other machines. Currently the xbmc is 192.168.0.3 and the laptop is 192.168.0.4.
So far, so good.
You might get more help out of a debug on the Pi when trying these operations.
The Windows behaviour sounds as if there may be a flaw - which Windows version are you running on the laptop?
Are you using IP addresses for the smb shares - sometimes ensuring you have the same IP addresses allocated (which you can probably do at the router) gets over some of these oddities?
Derek
How could I do that debug?

I'm currently using the latest Windows 8.1 (but this is a 3 yo machine that came with Windows 7).

I'm fairly new to this xbmc/raspberry pi world, how can I see that about that smb shares?
Sorry - you've gone beyond me.
I've never (after one frustrating attempt) used OpenElec, as it wouldn't configure on my then setup.
I've found that W7 (as far as I've cared to go yet) isn't as usable as earlier Windows versions - sometimes I can see shares on my network, sometimes not.
Perhaps try their user forums?
Derek

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't access laptop via SMB0