Bug NFS cannot load images since Beta 2
So, I just setup a new installation using Windows 8.1 on my new NUC and found a strange bug with NFS.

Since the Beta 2 release (and probably some nightly in-between Beta 1 > Beta 2) XBMC seems to be incapable of loading images (testing with jpgs)
Other files (even in the same folder) such as the actual video files open and play perfectly..

I noticed it since when I connected the new install to my shared library I got no thumbs for anything, after a bit of digging I added my video folder to the pictures section of XBMC and found I can browse to the files but no thumb / image is displayed when the poster/fanart files are selected.
However if I connect the same folder using SMB it works fine and I can see the images.

I've tried the latest nightly Gotham build as for 23/03 and it's still the same, however if I install Beta 1 then I can see all images fine over NFS (without making any server side change).

I have confirmed this bug on two different PC's (one being the machine actually hosting the NFS shares)

When I open a fanart file manually in the 'bugged' version I get this:-

Code:
17:32:47 T:2264   DEBUG: Loading the current image 0: nfs://192.168.1.251/Media/Videos/Films/Hackers/Hackers-fanart.jpg
17:32:47 T:3600  NOTICE: Thread BgPicLoader start, auto delete: false
17:32:47 T:3600   DEBUG: CNFSFile::Open - opened Media/Videos/Films/Hackers/Hackers-fanart.jpg
17:32:47 T:3600   DEBUG: CNFSFile::Close closing file Media/Videos/Films/Hackers/Hackers-fanart.jpg
17:32:47 T:2264   DEBUG: We have an error loading picture 0!
17:32:47 T:2264   ERROR: Error loading the current image 0: nfs://192.168.1.251/Media/Videos/Films/Hackers/Hackers-fanart.jpg
17:32:47 T:2264    INFO: set image nfs://192.168.1.251/Media/Videos/Films/Hackers/Hackers-fanart.jpg unplayable

Under normal use (browsing library) there are no errors logged (it shows open / close of the NFS file) but nothing gets displayed.

I guess this is due to a recent change of the NFS library for Windows, but hopefully something that can be fixed as it renders an NFS library hard to use as there are no thumbs for anything Big Grin

BTW: If I can gather more detailed info I'm happy to help, I scoured the debug logs and the above is the only thing I can find in reference to the issue..
I give you one hint - thats all i will do now. Don't use nfs on windows. It will be released in gotham in a broken state.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Well, that solution kind of sucks when your library is already all set up using NFS Smile

I assume that this is a confirmed issue and down to the 3rd party NFS library XBMC uses?
Yes and there is no Windows support for libnfs - neither on our side not in upstream side.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Strange thing is, it doesn't affect ALL images. I have some album artwork that does load, but it's generally album artwork of 300px * 300px or lower. Fanart seems to work fine and everything in my library / XBMC install is over NFS. Content stored on a ReadyNAS Pro / ReadyNAS Ultra (Mirrored content) with Debian Etch as the base OS on those. Clients running Windows.

Was hoping this would be fixable, as SMB is considerably slower. Already got rid of MySQL because with Gotham it was taking 12 hours to scrape my music library, guess NFS has to go too (for now).

Sad
For windows it should definitly. But i guess removing nfs on windows won't make it for gotham.
I had started a new thread not seeing this one (somehow...), but you might try my fix. I just dropped libnfs.dll from Beta1 into the newer install, and that fixed my art. Near as I can tell doing so doesn't create any new/different issues either.
Too late for me. I've converted everything back to SMB on my 3 installs. Not keen to reverse that (time/effort) even if I had copy of Beta 1. But cheers for the info.

Smile
Yeah, no, I'd go back to Frodo before converting away from NFS. SMB was just murder on my library, it's a complete gotham-blocker for me (and I would suspect others too).
Try cleaning your library with the newer linbfs. The issue was it would dump the library...let us know how you go, and server details
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I clean it all the time, I've had absolutely no problems at all with NFS until Gotham Beta2. However, my NFS shares are served on a linux server (kernel 3.2.0-30-generic), with nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server packages at 3.2.0-30-generic (ubuntu server LTS).

I was reading the other thread, and was wondering if this started when they downgraded the libnfs version, that older version being incompatible with Gotham changes, and whether or not the original issue that prompted that was actually an edge case between the NFS server you mentioned (Hanewin NFS) combined with the newer libnfs. I was going to compile my own, reverting that downgrade, to see what happens for me -- it's taking a while to set up the environment however. I've no problem getting to the bottom of this myself.
*subscribed*
@garretn - more data would be awesome.

To be clear - server is linux but your client is Windows? It was only on windows that libnfs was downgraded back. So there should be no issue with nfs on linux clients at all, beta 1 or 2.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Correct, my server is linux and my client is windows. The downgrade *definitely* broke art with that combo.

In your thread I only noticed one other confirming the issue, and that user mentioned also using Hanewin as the server. Has anyone confirmed the issue you were having that was *not* using Hanewin?

Nevermind, found the github report with the Synology guy.
My Setup is a ReadyNAS Ultra / Pro running Debian Etch (In case that matters) serving to 3 Windows clients running a combo of Win-7 Home/Pro. I access the shares via IP address with SMB even though it has name reslution, because by default I have my media shares write-protected to stop WMP / Explorer writing... sorry, Wrecking my album art. Wink

Will watch for progress.

Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS cannot load images since Beta 20