Gotham Nightly - Since ~2014/3/5 - MacBook Pro 17" Choppy Playback
Hi All,
Experiencing a problem since around 3/5/2014 with XBMC playback stuttering/choppiness on any video. This is on a MacBook Pro 17" w/Mavericks. If I install version from 3/5/2014, playback is just fine.

Best,
guitardood

EDIT: Date change to reflect correct time of problem, around 3/5/2014

EDIT: changed mistaken date of 3/13 in the above line starting with "If I install version" to the correct date of 3/5. Thanks Memphiz.
You should include Debug log (wiki) for any problems if you want to get them fixed.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
What do we care about problems in the past?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-03-25, 17:43)Memphiz Wrote: What do we care about problems in the past?

It's not a problem in the past, it's a problem now that was working in the past. Regression bug. I'll post a debug log later tonight.
Then please correct your first post which indicates a flaw in march 5th which was fixed since march 13th Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2014-03-26, 00:13)Memphiz Wrote: Then please correct your first post which indicates a flaw in march 5th which was fixed since march 13th Wink

Thanks! My bad. I'll try each version since the 5th and try and help you guys figure out exactly which nightly the problem appeared and include a debug log.

Best,
guitardood
Great - curious what it broke for you ...
More info & log.

The choppy video playback started with Nightly 2014-03-08. The log file is at: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=158404

Contained in the log session are partial playbacks of two different video files
"Bubblegum (1984).mp4" which is an MP4 container with AVC video and AAC audio &
"Castle - The Greater Good (2014-03-24 21:01 - ABC (WLS)).avi" which is a mkv container with AVC video & AC3 Audio.

Both start stuttering about 1-2 seconds in and are impossible to watch. Using the previous nights version and before work just fine.

Again this is on a MacBook Pro, Mavericks with all latest updates. Secondary monitor connected via thunderbolt, but playing back on the main laptop screen. Using a Logitech laptop speaker bar for audio and videos are playing via NFS shares. Just for kicks, I also tried playing a locally contained file with the same playback choppiness.

Please let me know if you need any other info.

Best,
guitardood

EDIT: Also, just for kicks, I tried these files via the built-in audio on the laptop and they play fine. Seems related to the USB audio device somehow. This particular device supports only 16 bits @48k.
EDIT: Tried the USB audio device on my thunderbolt docking station ports and that also works fine. Device supports 16 bits @8k-48k. Problem def seems related to the Logitech audio device.

Hope this helps & thanks!!

EDIT: I was a bit premature with the above two EDITS. It seems the MKV containers play fine with the Built-in audio, but the MP4 container file still are choppy no matter which audio output is selected.
Please try http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg and report back.

Also please post your audio settings in XBMC.
(2014-03-26, 10:32)Memphiz Wrote: Please try http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg and report back.

Also please post your audio settings in XBMC.

Thanks for such a quick turnaround!!

This seems to have resolved 99% of the issue. The only remaining issue is on some files, there is a slight pause/stutter for the first view seconds.

This last issue, btw, has been around for a while so don't feel the need to fix immediately as whatever fix you did resolved the regression of 3/8/2014.

This last issue is on a video listed in the log as TESTVID.mp4

Log File is here: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=158788

Lastly, is there a way to prematurely delete or edit a xbmclogs.com pasted log? I just realized the previous log had some info that I'd rather not be public.

Thanks again for your help!!

Best,
guitardood

XBMC Audio Settings - Default device is Logitech USB "Audio Hub"
http://xbmclogs.com/ <- look at the bottom right - there is a timeout after which the snippets gets deleted - i am not aware of a delete function other then that.

The fix for your problem did go into mainline before you posted your logs (so it was a fix by accident Wink ) - it will be fixed in one of the next gotham nightlies and gotham aswell.
(2014-03-26, 12:14)Memphiz Wrote: http://xbmclogs.com/ <- look at the bottom right - there is a timeout after which the snippets gets deleted - i am not aware of a delete function other then that.

The fix for your problem did go into mainline before you posted your logs (so it was a fix by accident Wink ) - it will be fixed in one of the next gotham nightlies and gotham aswell.

Thanks again!

Best,
guitardood

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham Nightly - Since ~2014/3/5 - MacBook Pro 17" Choppy Playback0