Fastest / Nicest Skin
Hi all,

I have been using a Pi for a few months now after switching from an android device. I have been using the stock confluence skin, but am now very bored of it. Can anyone recommend a skin that is both fast (as can be) and pretty on the eye?

I've tried Amber which is ok. Any other suggestions? BTW I have overclocked my Pi to 1000mhz.
Aeon Nox 5 is usable on the Pi. A bit heavier than Amber, but quite pretty.
My personal favorites are both WIP but quite stable:
Maximinimalism
Eminence

Maximinimalism is very lightweight. It is not a fanart skin as default, but you can switch on random background fanart.
Edit: It does show fanart in TV Shows, and in the info dialog for movies. I use it with with "Show info" as default Play action, really nice.

Eminence is also lightweight, but requires some more stuff if turned on. It is surprisingly fast though.
The design is different, but it grows on you.
Freem@n also has also done a mod of refocus for the Pi.
I tried the Metropolis skin last night which was quite nice and moved quite fast.

Where is the refocus version?
I always go back to amber.
Sio2-X skin is awesome and really friendly when running on a Pi

running it on 2 rpi one overclocked to 800mzh and one 1000mzh without issues the skin is in the official repo
(2014-03-26, 14:14)Lowdef Wrote: Where is the refocus version?

Link is in my post above-click on "mod of refocus".
Can't seem to get it on to the Pi for some reason
eminence is my choice. Needs some additional tweaking to run even better on the pi (like skip/hide the library stats on homescreen), but those will be addressed by the skinner Jurialmunkey until final version. He's pretty responsive to suggestions, also ones regarding performance on the PI, which is nice.
Amber for me, especially on the Raspberry Pi, although I also run it on my Mac.

Tried over a dozen other skins on the Mac, (used Aeon Nox for a number of weeks and spent a lot of time customising it, possibly my second favourite skin, but too heavy for the Raspberry Pi) some look neat to start with but are hard to live with long term and hard to read on a small screen. Most have at least one show stopper annoyance for me that eventually causes them to fall out of favour.

I initially tried Amber when I got a Raspberry Pi as it is known to be fast and light and it certainly is, I liked it and put it on the Mac too. I haven't been tempted to switch skins for months now so I've finally found something I can "live with" long term. Smile

Having said that I'm going to have a look at the skins mentioned above, but I suspect I'll be back to Amber again once the appeal of new and flashy wears off! Wink

(2014-03-25, 20:51)popcornmix Wrote: Aeon Nox 5 is usable on the Pi. A bit heavier than Amber, but quite pretty.
I'm surprised to hear this - I ran Aeon Nox for some time on a Mac and when I first got a Raspberry Pi in December I tried it for a laugh and it was unbearably ridiculously slow and unusable. Wink

That's some serious optimisation work since then if its now usable on a Raspberry Pi...(you're not thinking of Aeon MQ 5 are you ?)
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
I did try one skin last night, unfortunately can't remember the name this morning. But it looks like the xbox dashboard. Works quite well, once customized.
(2014-03-27, 14:00)DBMandrake Wrote:
(2014-03-25, 20:51)popcornmix Wrote: Aeon Nox 5 is usable on the Pi. A bit heavier than Amber, but quite pretty.
I'm surprised to hear this - I ran Aeon Nox for some time on a Mac and when I first got a Raspberry Pi in December I tried it for a laugh and it was unbearably ridiculously slow and unusable. Wink

That's some serious optimisation work since then if its now usable on a Raspberry Pi...(you're not thinking of Aeon MQ 5 are you ?)

Nope, Aeon Nox 5 on a recent gotham (e.g. milhouse build) is very usable (in fact it's currently installed in my lounge)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183504

Note: Aeon Nox 4 is too heavy.
I keep coming back to Arctic, by JurialMonkey.
It is quite quick. I don't use background fanart in the different views, but other than that i think i have every bell and whistle on Wink
Thanks to this thread I'm starting to fall in love with the mod of refocus. It just runs so great on a RPi and looks so amazing Smile I like it more than amber which is now my 2nd choice Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fastest / Nicest Skin0