• 9(current)
NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 2
Hey - so I've been following along the progress in this thread, and it would seem as though that the NFS issues have been isolated/fixed (huge thx BTW!)

I was just wondering if this means there's a nightly I can grab that will have the right .dll?
At the moment i have the .dll from b1 that seems to work, or I can also try the .dll posted earlier.

thanks!
Looks like the NFS fix from Memphiz was merged with XBMC four days ago, although I'm not sure what, if any, delay there is between github and nightlies beyond the obvious.
As nightlies come from the Gotham branch at the moment, the only delay would be if the fix was merged to Master but hadn't yet been cherry picked into Gotham by the Release Managers, in this case the merge to both Master & Gotham happened on the 10th so would have been in the nightlies from the 11th onwards.
Thanks to Memphiz, Bossonova808, and garretn for bug fixing and testing on this issue. excellent work all round. Now Gotham will be a complete version with no NFS caveats. Smile
I too would like to thank everyone involved.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
For my part, no worries.

I do think best to have a Gotham with 'my fix' (that appears to effectuvely solve the issue) - but also to use a libnfs.dll that has the socket closing fix in it, which was the root cause of the issue and really the overall better fix.

@Memphiz the libnfs that will ship doesn't have this right? I might stick i tin a dropbox somehwere for safe keeping in case people hit some sort of rare edge case that still causes issues without it...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Doesn't have what?

It was noted earlier that the Gotham nightlies have the socket fix, if that's what you're asking about -- since its a Gotham nightly, it'll be in Gotham when it's released.
Gotham has the libnfs.dll we had before 1.6.2 ... the socket fix was merged upstream in current libnfs mainline - it might hit xbmc at some point after gotham. Gotham has only the fix from bossanova808 ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ohhh. Well, that sucks :/.

Good to know, and thanks @bossanova808 and @Memphiz, now I'll make sure to keep a copy too!
I use OpenElec on my 2 machines and Windows on my PC for scraping. I recall that when I had NFS enabled, the Windows machine wouldn't see the media. Do the nightlies have the fix that Memphiz posted? I'm still on the fence if I should use NFS or just stick with SMB. I mightbe stressing over something that really has very little impact on performance. I just want to squeeze as much as I can out of my Zotac ID41 ION box which is showing its age.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
From the sound of it it's still broken in Gotham, and while I don't understand the reason, sounds like it's going to stay that way for at least the first release version of Gotham. You should however be able to install any Gotham release, including nightlies, and replace the libnfs.dll it installs (under your XBMC install's system directory, not your profile directory) with this one Memphiz posted earlier:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3037...-maybe.dll

You will need to rename it to just libnfs.dll and replace the existing one. As for nitpicking, it depends on your library and other factors like your network as well. I have an enormous library, and the difference is substantial compared to samba -- any my home network is wired only, gigabit all around. Those that use wireless have noted the difference for them whether they're able to play their media without stuttering, while obviously network related, still makes all the difference. So it's up to you really. If samba works fine for you, it might be simpler to just use that, but remember that switching later can be an epic pain in the derrière.
(2014-04-17, 16:50)garretn Wrote: Ohhh. Well, that sucks :/.

Good to know, and thanks @bossanova808 and @Memphiz, now I'll make sure to keep a copy too!

Likewise.

It might be a good idea to put a note in the release notes or on the home page somewhere for people who use NFS on Windows, but either don't do nightlys/betas and/or haven't been following this thread as to the state of NFS support in Gotham, and the current work-around / fix.

May stop a sizable portion of "Why doesn't my NFS/Artwork work in Gotham?" type posts from appearing on the forum post-release.
If Memphiz has that dll, why can't they use it in the distribution?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
You folks are misunderstanding:

libnfs 1.6.2 fixes your artwork issues (you only got these when libnfs was dropped back to 1.3)
'my fix', now in Gotham nightlies, appears to effectively fix the library dumping issue

Thus Gotham *should* be ok, as it comes with both of these things

The better fix, though - that solves the real underlying cause of the issue, this socket linger thing - is not going to be in Gotham - I presume because Memphiz considers it untested and there is too short a timescale to get it in and properly test it before Gotham is released. (Happy to help there if you change your mind on the @Memphiz but I can see your point!)

I personally will be using a libnfs with this fix (it's just a drop in replacement). Especially if you're stressing the whole nfs connections thing (i.e. lots of rapid back and forth and open/closes, so library updates/cleans especially I guess) - even with 'my fix' there is the possible potential for all the lingering sockets to create issues. It's more theoretical than anything else (I think - my Gotham testing is still relatively limited as this fix has been around only a week or so!), but the purist in me wants the proper fix in place.

To that end, I'll be saving that libnfs.dll here kinda permanently: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1088...libnfs.dll - if anyone has any practical issues they can just drop that in and maybe a Gotham point release will have it in place anyway etc.

@patseguin - the reason many of us are so keen on NFS in general is performance. I've done quite a bit of testing with it, and it's definitely significantly quicker than SMB on the three networks I've measured it on. (you'll see the odd perosn say SMB is just as quick but they've never actually measured it in practise in my experience they just say it seems as quick - but if you measure throughput of either single large files, OR of long lists of small ones, I have seen NFS being 30 to 50% quicker).

I used it initially because it was the only thing that made streaming 720p/1080p over ethernet-over-power devices possible back a few years ago with camelot (using autofs to mount nfs shares at the system level before the in built nfs came along) - SMB just couldn't do this. I new NFS was better for this from even back in the Popcorn Hour/HDX streaming days...old trick (and where I first encountered Hanewin NFS - that was $20 well spent, here I am almost 10 years later still going strong with it!).

I've since wired in ethernet anyway, and wireless N (or AC) is actually quite capable of this too now, but once I'd moved over I also noticed less weird sporadic issues than with SMB (no master browser hassles (Openelec elects itself master browser by default and this causes issues with some - also there was an SMB random hanging issue there's a long thread about back in 2009) - but also it's more easy to manage shares (just one config file vs. having to go into properties separately for each drive). In practice these days the most noticeable performance benefit for me is when looking at long folders of pictures from a shared drive (I have all my family photos from 2007 on running through xbmc for example)....these lists are way quicker with NFS than SMB.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Yeah, I'm definitely confused.

I was under the impression that the final fix we arrived at was the socket fix for 1.6.2, and that being end of story. Since the artwork problem was never a problem with that version, I didn't realize anyone still considered that bit a problem.

I guess that's not the case?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 20