Doctor Who Special naming - episode number vs. first aired
Hi,

I am just transferring my Doctor Who (2005) collection into XBMC and I have some trouble with the specials. Look at Season 7 on thetvdb.com:
http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&serie...1024&lid=7
"The Night of the Doctor", which aired on 2013-11-14 has episode number 89, in my naming convention it should be named "00x89 - The Night of the Doctor". Then XBMC lists is correctly as a special and in the end of season 7. But when I also add "The Day of the Doctor", which aired on 2013-11-23 but has episode number 84, I name it "00x84 - The Day of the Doctor", it is sorted behind the Night of the Doctor.
In this case thetvdb.com messed up the viewing order and the episode numbering. Is there a way to fix this in XBMC such that in XBMC the specials are sorted correctly?
If it's incorrect on the database, best correction should be done there so all will benefit.
That's a bit hard when TVDB is constantly locking series down, so they forever have horrible information or sloppy summaries. TVDB is broken :P

Quote:This season is locked at the season level and cannot be changed.
It was locked by Imzadi
Looking at thetvdb (and guessing slightly), what I think is happening is this:

When a special episode is to be displayed after a season, XBMC will give that episode a stupidly high displayepisode number (4096, I believe) to ensure it gets placed dead last in the season (this I know for sure).

But what happens when you have two such episodes? Both episodes will have the same 4096 displayepisode number, so a secondary sort criteria would be in effect to distinguish between them... And I'm fairly sure from previous experience that it's just an alphabetical sort on the episode title.

"The Day..." < "The Night..."
I believe TillScout is saying it's appearing as:

The Night of the Doctor - 00x89
The Day of the Doctor - 00x84

Which suggests xbmc is sorting on air date Huh As The Night of the Doctor is the short prequel for The Day of the Doctor 50th Anniversary episode, so I don't see what the problem is with how they are sorted.

It does seem strange episode numbering by the thetvdb.com where the prequel is numbered greater than the 50th Anniversary episode, but I guess stuff probably gets added as they are annouced by the BBC, so the prequel was maybe annouced later than the 50th Anniversary episode.
I took "sorted behind" to mean "The Day" came before "The Night". Otherwise, why complain?
Maybe Huh behind is the same as after to me, however perhaps he meant before, so I assumed the complaint surround the episode numbering.

TillScout, can you clarify exactly how it's being sorted? a screenshot showing how it appears would be good.
It is sorted by episode number, so like this:
The Day of the Doctor - 00x84
The Night of the Doctor - 00x89
Which is not the correct viewing order (which is what I am interested in of course)
This thetvdb thing threw me for such a loop with firefly. I looked at it for a good 5-10 minutes late one night and was like "oh I'll I just quickly add this series to my xbmc. .." thetvdb + fox's insane idiocy made it so hard to understand why the episodes were out-of order. It's insane to me actually that fox thought it was intelligent to air the episodes so far out of order like that. But I'll the not to detail lol.
Thetvdb is extremely stubborn though so good luck.
All you need to do is change the library sort order to date/ascending and it's just fine.
Is there some way to manually alter the way that XBMC sorts the videos? TVDB has values like "airs after season" and "airs before". If it is possible to manually change these values (e.g. such that "The Night of the Doctor" airs before "The Day of the Doctor", then I could live with that.
When that is possible, would those changes survive after a database update? I update the database everytime I add a new episode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Doctor Who Special naming - episode number vs. first aired0