Linux NVIDIA Jetson TK1 first Tegra K1 a Supercomputer for xbmc ?
(2014-05-22, 10:15)centaury2015 Wrote: maybe you can try to port android into Jetson Tegra K1.

I'm thinking about doing that if nobody beats me to it. I was actually pondering using Cyanogenmod.
The Jetson TK1 is sold out, but we need one more board, if any body has but don't need it now ,please sell it to us.
(2014-05-21, 23:30)barleyguy Wrote:
(2014-05-21, 23:14)tential Wrote: $200 doesn't seem like it will be the best fit for Android. $100 is still the sweet spot IMO. At $200 you're flirting with NUC options and other x86 options.

The Jetson is a complete system other than the option of a case. It includes a power supply, 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage. With NUC and other x86 options you probably have to buy all 3 of those things separately.

AMD Kaveri/Kabini is the only thing I can think of that might be comparable performance for the same price. That's around $70 for APU and motherboard, so with RAM and storage it's probably about the same price.

Not sure if serious....
(2014-05-23, 05:53)centaury2015 Wrote: The Jetson TK1 is sold out, but we need one more board, if any body has but don't need it now ,please sell it to us.

You might be able to get one at MicroCenter. They started shipping later than everyone else, so may have some.
It's not easy to buy JETSON TK1 now, maybe Nvidia has not produced much.
(2014-03-26, 04:10)Promythyus Wrote: Any word on HDMI-CEC? Probably not given it's a dev kit, but devs need hardware to test HDMI-CEC after all!

Looks like it'd be one powerful board, I look forward to seeing how well XBMC performs on it.

The hardware seems to support it as far as the schematic shows.
I just got my board and haven't had too much time to mess around with it yet but I am hoping it's just a matter of kernel support.

Would be great if it were as simple as recompiling with CONFIG_TEGRA_CEC_SUPPORT set to true.
if anyone has successfully built xbmc on a jetson TK1, please step forward :)
so far I had no luck..
Could someone pull the config archive from /proc/ and contents of the Nvidia Installer folder and post it here?
(2014-05-21, 23:30)barleyguy Wrote:
(2014-05-21, 23:14)tential Wrote: $200 doesn't seem like it will be the best fit for Android. $100 is still the sweet spot IMO. At $200 you're flirting with NUC options and other x86 options.

The Jetson is a complete system other than the option of a case. It includes a power supply, 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage. With NUC and other x86 options you probably have to buy all 3 of those things separately.

AMD Kaveri/Kabini is the only thing I can think of that might be comparable performance for the same price. That's around $70 for APU and motherboard, so with RAM and storage it's probably about the same price.

Ned responded with "Not sure if srs".

I'll explain why.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231339 -$24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820211717 - $36

Grand Total: $200

Now lets compare Jetson TK1 vs an x86
Jetson TK1 -
No one even has reported using this device for XBMC to my knowledge.
No strong community support.
Where to buy? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813190005 out of stock. Amazon? Not listed. Microcenter has got one if you live near one or want them to ship it to you. Shipping isn't bad only 6 bucks.
Oh and about cases? What am I supposed to do just build a case for the thing? 0 cases are found online and in fact a quick google search shows that yes, my only option is to actually build a case lol.
X86
Tons of support.
XBMC is tested on NUCs to no end and we KNOW it works with XBMC.
Huge community to help you trouble shoot.

Now with the price points literally being 1-2 dollars away from eachother why in gods name would anyone pick the Jetson TK1?

Like I said before and I stand by it, you've got to be coming in at the $100 pricepoint to make systems like these interesting. $200 is in NUC territory and intel wins in a handy BEATDOWN in this price range (And AMD as well I guess).
maybe you are right, but we still like TEGRA K1.
(2014-06-09, 05:29)centaury2015 Wrote: maybe you are right, but we still like TEGRA K1.

That's fine to like it.
And there shouldn't be a maybe there =D.
(2014-06-06, 08:06)netphantm Wrote: if anyone has successfully built xbmc on a jetson TK1, please step forward Smile
so far I had no luck..

The XBMC client is in the "Universe" repo of Linux For Tegra. It runs out of the box. It didn't need to be re-compiled. It works great.

(As far as running the server, I haven't tried it.)

(2014-06-09, 05:20)tential Wrote: Now with the price points literally being 1-2 dollars away from eachother why in gods name would anyone pick the Jetson TK1?

Because it's fun. Because it's an ARM development platform. Because it's not an "either/or" decision, but a "gosh, for $400 I can have both" decision.

Four more: Because it's not redundant with x86 boxes we already own. Because it supports CUDA. Because it can be passively cooled, so with an SSD it's completely silent. Because it uses less electricity (typically about 15 watts or less).

Srsly.
I received my Jetson Tk1 about two weeks ago and installed XBMC from the Ubuntu 14.04 armhf repos without any problem.
If you want to read more have a look on my blog.

http://bitkistl.blogspot.co.at/2014/03/e...board.html

It is possible to just start XBMC from your Ubuntu Desktop session and return to Ubuntu when you watched enough.

Best Regards,
Peter Bauer
Peter, thanks for the comments and benchmarks. It's nice to know that it's 27 times as fast as a Rasperry Pi (for only 6 times the price).

Regarding cases, I'm using a Morex 557. It's about 2 inches bigger than the Jetson board each direction, and the rear left standoff is in the correct spot. It's also open air (perforated), to allow for passive cooling. The power switch can be connected to pins 61 and 62 of the expansion connector. The Morex 557 has room for a 2.5" drive, which I'm going to use for an Intel 335 SSD. I have the drive, but need a molex to SATA power cable. I'll probably reflash the device back to stock and then mount the SSD to /usr and /home, as soon as I get the power cable.

XBMC is working well. For a browser, I'm using Chromium with Pepper Flash (from Arch Linux ARMv7 multi), which allows Flash audio and video.
I just ordered one of these mini-itx cases:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008XI7F...UTF8&psc=1

It should be large enough to put one SSD inside.
Today I tried Chromecast with the Jetson Tk1 and yes - it works as long as you
do not try to cast from multiple Chromium tabs (this currently causes Chromium to crash).

Did you install the Archlinux Chromium package ? I just installed the flash lib from Archlinux
and used the Chromium Version of the Ubuntu 14.04 distro.

Best Regards,
Peter Bauer
http://bitkistl.blogspot.com

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Jetson TK1 first Tegra K1 a Supercomputer for xbmc ?1