External mysql database
Okay so I spent a good part of all night last night trying to get my XBMC to connect to an external database (newly created) and setup the tables for my library. I followed the wiki several times and did probably 50 google searches trying to resolve my issue. I'm starting to think that XBMC will not connect to an external ip address and that it MUST be a LAN address.

Anyways, the sql server is GoDaddy (I run a website and thought it would be rather convenient to just make another database for XBMC). I created a blank database available for XBMC. Setup my advancedsettings.xml to include all of the information. IP address is included, user, pass etc and I get nothing but "access denied for user @'%" and then that message repeats in the log video61, video62 etc.

I've tried reinstalling which didn't help. So I created a local Linux mysql database on my NAS drive... tried connecting with that but get the same error. Gah I'm not sure what else to do but to make a local sql database (which is less than ideal).

I'm sure the ip address / user / pass are all correct because I can connect using the mysql client from the same computer manually.
No idea, but using MySQL over the internet is going to make it slooooooow.
Not a mysql expert, but when I have seen this, it is usually mysql permissions on your login.

e.g. :
grant all privileges on *.* to xbmc@'%' identified by 'xbmc';
flush privileges;

But as Ned said, I would not try running it over the internet unless you really had to. The database itself is tiny even if you have tons of stuff in it.
I got the local database working on my WD My Book Live drive. Everything seems to be working perfectly. I'll just use this and sqldump the database to another location for extra resiliency :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External mysql database0