[How-To] The NEW XBOX One Media Remote On Openelec
(2014-05-20, 18:11)sraue Wrote: just added to OpenELEC so it works by default OOTB.
see: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...747b23789a

will be included in the next OpenELEC-4.0.3 stable build

I bought one based on this but have had no luck on 4.0.3 or 4.0.4. Intel NUC.
So does the remote work OTB? Im looking at picking one up but reading mixed answers.
Not on my NUC it doesn't. Maybe on other hardware.
Any update on this?

I'm looking for a remote. I like the Xbox one look. Still doesn't work out of the box?
What about the old Xbox 360 one?
As of 4.07 it still doesn't work OOTB for me on my current-gen NUC.

I note in the BIOS that there's a field that says something like USB and IR devices and the receiver doesn't show up there, not sure if I should expect it to.

I hope try try this:

https://communities.intel.com/mobile/mob...s%2F181077

whenever I can get time that doesn't conflict with my son watching.

Until then the iOS app works, though it's a pain having to unlock my phone each time to get to it
Tanks for the link. It seems the problem will be solve soon with thé next bios update. What about the old xbox 360 remote? Or perhaps another to recommand?
if you google.How to make your remote work with openelec. and follow that procedure,the xbox one remote control will work as did mine but will stop working once the nuc is rebooted.i'm a newbie with all this so maybe someone with experience can work it out.i obviously messed up 1 of the steps.
@FishOil First of all thanks a lot for the instructions and the recording of the lircd.conf!

It got it working on my CuBox i4Pro with OpenElec (Helix alpha2,devel-20140909224511-r19208-geb55ed4), except not reliably.

My problem is that only 1 out of 5-10 key presses is registered. Same for irw and in consequence within the XBMC interface. Using mode2 spits out input on every little keypress even pointing in virtually any direction of my living room.

I shut of the front LED of the Cubox, since it sits next to the IR receiver, to reduce potential noise, but with no luck. There is also no other ambient light present that could disturb the receiver.

To verify the built-in receiver of the Cubox works correctly, I used an old Sony CD-Player remote (with the matching conf file) and it works flawlessly, but it' s not a very practical remote for today's media player requirements.

So as a last resort I started recording my own conf file. I thought maybe it's a remote/receiver combo issue. Well, I got only so far as to the point where the buttons should be named and then recorded, but it never succeeded, I always saw "Something went wrong".

Is anyone able to point me in a direction what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Here is a bit debug information:
Code:
OpenELEC:~ # ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
    Driver gpio-rc-recv, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Enabled protocols: LIRC
    Repeat delay = 200 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

Code:
OpenELEC:~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
brcmfmac              158919  0
brcmutil                4221  1 brcmfmac
ir_lirc_codec           3803  0
lirc_dev                7570  1 ir_lirc_codec
cfg80211              203071  1 brcmfmac
ir_mce_kbd_decoder      2717  0
ir_sanyo_decoder        1389  0
ir_sony_decoder         1411  0
ir_jvc_decoder          1385  0
ir_rc6_decoder          1713  0
ir_nec_decoder          1505  0
ir_rc5_decoder          1313  0
gpio_ir_recv            2500  0
Ok, I think I solved it myself, at least it's much better now.

I realised fast key presses were registered as a single keypress, so I investigated in the repeat settings section of lirc/ir-keytable.

Changing delay and period for ir-keytable brought the success:
Code:
ir-keytable --delay 2000
ir-keytable --period 20

The following adjustment to the autostart.sh will sustain these settings over reboot:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
killall lircd
ir-keytable -p lirc --delay 2000 --period 20
lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 /storage/.config/lircd.conf
SCRACTCH EVERYTHING I SAID BEFORE

This is starting to look like a monologue... But I hope it is helpful to some...

In some thread I found that the XBOX One remote is actually supported by default under OpenELEC since 4.0.x. In this case, you don't need a lircd.conf.

You can check if that's the case for your version by having a look at the rc6_mce keymap by:
Code:
less /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce

at the bottom of the file, you should find sth like that:

Code:
#XBOX One Remote (Protocol: NEC)
0x80d864 KEY_MEDIA
0x80d820 KEY_LEFT
0x80d821 KEY_RIGHT
0x80d81e KEY_UP
0x80d81f KEY_DOWN
0x80d822 KEY_OK
0x80d823 KEY_EXIT
0x80d80e KEY_MUTE
0x80d810 KEY_VOLUMEUP
0x80d811 KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
0x80d812 KEY_CHANNELUP
0x80d813 KEY_CHANNELDOWN
0x80d814 KEY_FASTFORWARD
0x80d815 KEY_REWIND
0x80d870 KEY_PLAYPAUSE
0x80d819 KEY_STOP
0x80d81a KEY_NEXT
0x80d81b KEY_PREVIOUS
0x80d826 KEY_INFO
0x80d86f KEY_EPG
0x80d86e KEY_ZOOM

Next, make sure you DON'T modify the lircd config through the autostart.sh. If you don't have anything else in this file, you can safely delete it. This is my autostart.sh now:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# turn off the red LED on the Cubox
echo "0" > /sys/class/leds/imx6\:red\:front/brightness
Don't add this line if you don't have a Cubox or have a Cubox and like bright red LEDs. Although you can adjust the brightness between 0-248. But I'm diverting...

After a reboot ir-keytable gives me the following:
Code:
OpenELEC:~ # ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
    Driver gpio-rc-recv, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Enabled protocols: NEC RC-6
    Repeat delay = 200 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Note that the NEC protocol is enabled, which is apparently used by the XBOX One remote.

You can still use the Lircmap.xml to map the buttons from the keymap to the functions you like. Make sure to use the new device name. It is most likely devinput. You can find it out by using irw and using the label that is given after a key press.
Code:
OpenELEC:~ # irw
6a 0 KEY_RIGHT devinput

Your Lircmap.xml should start like that then:
Code:
<lircmap>
<remote device="devinput">

Overall this works much much nicer than my hackish approach before. Maybe this post should be updated to reflect the support by default?
(2014-06-14, 01:11)anthony11 Wrote:
(2014-05-20, 18:11)sraue Wrote: just added to OpenELEC so it works by default OOTB.
see: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...747b23789a

will be included in the next OpenELEC-4.0.3 stable build

I bought one based on this but have had no luck on 4.0.3 or 4.0.4. Intel NUC.

Is there a new Feature Request for this? Shouldn't someone create one?
| myHTPC |
I can't seem to get this working on regular XBMCBuntu. If I remote into the XBMC box using WinScp I dont have permissions to edit the lirc files.

Anyone using this on XBMCbunti 13.2?

Got any walk through steps?

Thanks
SSH in and use sudo to edit.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I tried to adapt what's in this thread to use on XBMCBuntu so started with:

(2014-04-11, 20:57)FishOil Wrote: This command will download text from pastebin and save it as lircd.conf
Code:
wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=UcyYsQ6D -O /storage/.config/lircd.conf

This came back with a not authorised error, even though I was using sudo. When I tried to swap the already existing lircd.conf file using WinSCP I dont have permission to swap it but cant see a way in WinSCP to get root.

If I can't get it working I'll try an openelec 4.2.1 install
openelec has a different disk setup. On Ubuntu there is no /storage. You want to download to your home directory, not /storage.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[How-To] The NEW XBOX One Media Remote On Openelec3