90%+ idle
First i'm sure this gets asked often. When not playing media or anything XBMC is using 90% of the CPU. I know the RSS feed is disabled and i'm positive i'm using a light skin (don't remember the name right now). Not sure why it's this high. Using a mysql database shouldn't cause this correct? What should i check to see what's causing this?

Try using Confluence skin just to rule out any skin problems.
I had very high cpu and a few items that didn't work with one skin (quartz). Reverting back to Confluence solved all my issues.
You can see which threads eat CPU by pressing capital H in top. Also depends on which screen/view you are (home screen, songs/movies list, etc.) -- some are more "heavy", others are less so.
I have the same problem. XBMC always uses about 90% of the CPU. Even if I do nothing for minutes. I'm using the Confluence skin.
Thanks for the replies, been busy the last few days. I will try out the suggestions and let you know what happens.
I`ve just noticed, i get 90% when idle. Im running the latest milhouse release. Im using my on modded version of xperience1080, but seems to be the same with the default skin also.
(2014-03-30, 13:21)stuCONNERS Wrote: I`ve just noticed, i get 90% when idle. Im running the latest milhouse release. Im using my on modded version of xperience1080, but seems to be the same with the default skin also.

Rename .xbmc and test. If the cpu is lower (wait for a few minutes for all the add-ons to update before testing) it suggests a setting or add-on is causing this.
Gradually change the settings and install add-ons until you find what causes the increase.
I'm gettting about 25% on latest Milhouse build when idle, so I imagine it's something outside of the build.
reinstalled, fixed. all addons reinstalled, and it idles at 28%

UPDATE: Just checked top again, and its back at 90% after 5 hours.
Switching to confluence helped dropped the idle to around 25% now. Was using quartz before. Is there any skins that look better, confluence is hard to read on 480i tube tv?
(2014-03-30, 15:53)stuCONNERS Wrote: reinstalled, fixed. all addons reinstalled, and it idles at 28%

UPDATE: Just checked top again, and its back at 90% after 5 hours.

That pretty much clears up it is one of the addons you reinstalled that is doing stuff.
You might want to make a debug log (wiki) and check what it is doing.
With the amber skin on a page that is not animating like the home screen (with rss turned off) I was seeing around 30-35% CPU usage from XBMC in Frodo while idle. On the latest Gotham builds I actually see only 16-20% CPU usage in the same conditions, so a significant improvement there. This is with a 950Mhz over-clock and quite a number of add-ons installed.

Unless you're actively doing something like a library scan its almost certainly going to be an add-on doing stuff in the background - some are notorious for wasting CPU cycles in the background for no good reason. Also some skins are very CPU intensive even when apparently doing nothing just displaying a static screen.

I would enable debugging and then tail the log file via ssh, eg for raspbmc:

tail -f /home/pi/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

or

less /home/pi/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log (then press capital F)

I prefer to use less because you can switch into tail mode with F then revert to normal scrolling mode with CTRL-C to go back up and look at something that went by.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Scrolling horizontal or vertical text will keep the CPU load very high.

With stock Confluence and 1GHz ARM I can get down to 17% CPU while idle ("Movies" item highlighted on the Home menu). If I now highlight an item in "Recently added" that includes a long label requiring horizontal scrolling, the CPU load jumps up to 76%.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
90%+ idle0