Ubuntu 14.04, nvidia 331.49, ION tearing problem
Hi,
I just installed ubuntu 14.04 beta and it introduced serious tearing its always in the same place around 1/4 from top and seams to be lagging behind one or 2 frames. Like its taken from the wrong buffer(dubble buffered?).

It works OK in both VLC and mplayer with vdpau.

Here is some info:
Ubuntu 14.04 Beta 1
Xbmc 13.0-beta2 a1cab7a
Nvidia-331-49
Nvidia ION graphic

/T
Use the forum search and disable backing store.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I will put the fix here so its easier to find, and maybe non insane googlers can find it also.
To enable this if you use lightdm as i do add this line to your lightdm.conf(/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf) :
Code:
xserver-command=X -bs

I tried disabling the composite in the xorg.conf also but it had no effect.

Why does it work in mplayer and VLC do they use other ways of drawing than xbmc ?

/T
xbmc uses OpenGL and here SDL picks up the backing store automatically. Not an issue for non SDL/OpenGL applications.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thx fritsch!

/T
http://askubuntu.com/a/450673/14551
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...omments/12

A workaround for ubuntu 14.04 with nvidia driver is to disable backing store in xorg: Make sure you have the "-bs" option in lightdm config file:

Code:
cat /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf

[SeatDefaults]
# Dump core
xserver-command=X -bs -core

------------------------------
If you're using another mechanism for starting X you can use the same flag in a similar way. For example, here's startx which is popularly used in XBMC (and other kiosk applications') startup scripts:

Code:
startx /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/xbmc-standalone -- -bs
Making the change to /usr/ is nothing you should do. That's plain overwritten without asking when distribution updates. Use for example something in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/

e.g. 10-ubuntu.conf
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
xserver-command=/usr/bin/X -bs -nolisten tcp
user-session=ubuntu
allow-guest=false
Should the 'tearing problems on linux?' sticky post be updated with the backingstore info? I think I see these posts pop up more & more with the newest x server shipping w/ 14.04, and likely we'll keep seeing it.
This was patched on monday, run an update/upgrade and revert any changes you made with the backingstore.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1280665
Hi everyone,

I cant seem to get rid of this problem.

I tried adding -bs to the lightdm.conf.d and using the path in rodalpho's post.

I'm running Gotham 13.0, Ubuntu 14.04, and I have the latest nVidia drivers. This problem seemed to come after my last Ubuntu update.
Nevermind, I think I fixed the problem. I was using the Aeon skin and it doesnt show a lot of the settings for video playback. I loaded up Confluence and checked the "match frame rate to tv" setting. That seemed to fix the problem for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 14.04, nvidia 331.49, ION tearing problem1