Android Gotham XBMC 13 on Amlogic quad
The audio device only reports Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM as compatible, as device is only PCM 2.0 capable anything decoded by PCM will be sent as that. For 5.1 from unsupported audio codecs try enabling the Dolby Digital Transcoding option in the audio settings.
I already have 5.1 working. I was hoping to get 7.1 passthrough working by chance.

Number of channels: 7.1
Enable passthrough: ON
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: ON (works perfectly)
DTS capable receiver: ON (works perfectly)

There are no options for LPCM, Dtshd or truehd like I've seen before - has something recently changed where xbmc now auto detects what the hardware is actually capable of for passthrough output? I'd like to try and force it to do TrueHD if possible.
The audio device only reports 2 channels capability so 7.1 is not going to work, note these are PCM channels hence why the lossy DD & DTS 5.1 formats can be packed into 2 PCM channels.

I'm not exactly sure how the detection of formats & channels works on Android, but the audio core used across all the different OS types relies on the supported formats being communicated to it in oder for the various audio options to be displayed. There is currently no way to force a format that's reported as unsupported.
(2014-04-16, 09:50)jjd-uk Wrote: The audio device only reports 2 channels capability so 7.1 is not going to work, note these are PCM channels hence why the lossy DD & DTS 5.1 formats can be packed into 2 PCM channels.

I'm not exactly sure how the detection of formats & channels works on Android, but the audio core used across all the different OS types relies on the supported formats being communicated to it in oder for the various audio options to be displayed. There is currently no way to force a format that's reported as unsupported.

OK understood. Its the 2 channel PCM limit in android that is the problem. Lossless audio requires more, lossy can be sent through 2ch and receiver upscales to 5.1
There a several layers to audio communication.

1st what is supported at the device firmware and OS level.

2nd the xbmc sink, this acts as the interface between device/OS and the xbmc audio core, on Android the Audiotrack sink is used. This sink layer is implemented differently on each OS as each OS has it's own way of doing things.

3rd the xbmc audio core common to every OS known as ActiveAE, this relies on the sink to report the audio device properties.

What I'm not sure on is whether the limitation is at the 1st or 2nd level. No previous SoC for Androind has advertised HD Audio capability I believe, so it maybe that the sink can't handle such devices under Android yet, or it could be the device firmware hasn't yet implemented bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-HD.

I'm not a dev so don't know all the inner workings, hopefully someone like koying or davilla will be along to help give you a definitive answer. All I can say with certainty from the log is the capabilities as reported by the Audiotrack sink to the ActiveAE core.
Problem #1 is that Android doesn't report the hardware sink capabilities, so we are advancing blind.
(2014-04-16, 11:04)Koying Wrote: Problem #1 is that Android doesn't report the hardware sink capabilities, so we are advancing blind.

Oh well, that's lovely. So it might be able to do more but android doesn't report what the hardware supports.
(2014-04-16, 11:05)noderat Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 11:04)Koying Wrote: Problem #1 is that Android doesn't report the hardware sink capabilities, so we are advancing blind.

Oh well, that's lovely. So it might be able to do more but android doesn't report what the hardware supports.

Hmm, looks like I need to take a whack at the xbmc sources and see if I can build one that enables the others to test. Do you have any experience with android's audio_policy.conf? I'm not sure our android ROM (quick and dirty android port) currently has the support either but I'd like to try.
As far as I know players based on Amloogic S802 don't have HDMI 1080p 24Hz output option.
It's a big disadvantage I think.
(2014-04-20, 10:12)kokap Wrote: As far as I know players based on Amloogic S802 don't have HDMI 1080p 24Hz output option.
It's a big disadvantage I think.

The kernel supports it and so does the hardware they just left it out of the current ROM. Typical hong kong
(2014-04-20, 11:48)noderat Wrote: The kernel supports it and so does the hardware they just left it out of the current ROM. Typical hong kong

Well, it's really good news. Thank you.
We at Matricom have successfully gotten xbmc Gotham to play on a quad core Amlogic s802. More news to come soon Smile
(2014-04-30, 02:43)bmc08gt Wrote: We at Matricom have successfully gotten xbmc Gotham to play on a quad core Amlogic s802. More news to come soon Smile

yea, and I had it playing on the S802 months ago Smile
(2014-04-30, 02:50)davilla Wrote:
(2014-04-30, 02:43)bmc08gt Wrote: We at Matricom have successfully gotten xbmc Gotham to play on a quad core Amlogic s802. More news to come soon Smile

Awesome Smile
(2014-04-30, 02:50)davilla Wrote:

Davilla, you're the GURU for xbmc.
I've a rooted S802, all permissions are correct. In HD just amcodec is enabled for hw acceleration. The trouble is having a 720p tv every video shifts and is not centered. The resolution in the xbmc system is set to 1920x1080 and can't be changed. On a 1080p tv it works great. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham XBMC 13 on Amlogic quad0