"Switch Media..." option on white button context-menu
Heaps of times when I go to the xbox and it's browsing a folder from the pc and I want to find a song, I realize the folders are empty from songs. Then I realize that I'm in video-mode and therefore can't see the files, so I've got to press back and enter music-mode and find the folders in the network again.

This happens ALL the time, and I guess it happens to lots of others as wellHuh
My solution would be that when you discover you're in the wrong media-mode there should be a button one could press to change the media-mode while you're doing the browsing, instead of going back to the menu and doing it all over. Either as a tag saying "Media switch" or an easy combo(always explained at the bottom of the screen so you don't need to read a manual you never read anyway). This would ease ALOT of irritation for me and hopefully others!!!! Love xmbc over every other program otherwise!!!!!!!!!
Good idea. I have pictures and videos from my cam in the same folder. XBMC doesnt support playback of video properly from My Pictures, so this option would make it easier to also play back the video recordings
Actually, it would not be difficult to add this functionality. Most of the code to support this is already in place. It would be a good project for someone who wants to learn.

The easiest solution would be to add a new button or context menu option to the "file based" media windows. As a button, I envision something like the "Switch View" button which cycles left and right. It would say "Switch Media" and then you choose Programs, Pictures, Video, Music (minus whatever media window the user is currently in.)

This would then just need to call an internal function to change windows.
m_gWindowManager.ActivateWindow(iDestWindow, m_vecItems.m_strPath);

iDestWindow would be the window ID of the media type that the user is switching to.

There is just one wrinkle in this, though its by design... When you "quickjump" to a window, the destination path has to be a valid source for the destination window. If its not, you get the root listing.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This should also work for folders on harddrive in Xbox and not just network shares Smile
Of course. The type of share is irrelevant.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I'm glad to see some interest in this. I had roughly the same idea as kraqh3d on how it would look. Considering most people browse music and video the most instead of picture, music should he the first on the tag when in video-mode and vice versa. Alternatively, let's say you're in video-mode and want pictures it could see that most of the files in the folder are jpeg and therefore highlight pictures on the tag. But that may be unnecesary, and a bit complicated and too hard to code.

I'd really love if this was programmed considering it happens all the time for me, as late as a few hours ago actually :-) I'm not a coder unfortunately so I can only hope another coder wants this as well:-)
As a form of bump, I ask if there's any coder willing to add this neat feature?
Definitely cosign this.......great idea!
I might consider adding this. My problem is that I know how to use CVS, Visual Studio, and C++ however my knowledge of Direct X = NULL. So I'm gonna play around and see if I can't get this done and then talk to the devs about commiting it, if I indeed come through. Dang it feels awesome that 2.0.0 is out.
nuff said
You dont need any DirectX knowledge to code this up. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
I added this stuff to my Remix skin, which has been in hibernation for a couple months since I just moved to Portland. The way I did it was to have an invisible button scroller which you press up to get to. When it has focus it becomes visible (slides down from offscreen). It's got a button for each of the other possible windows, and thus allows you to go from anywhere to anywhere else without going through Home.
the code may prove useful, so you can have a look over here:
http://appliedcuriosity.cc/xbox/Remix.html
You can find it towards the bottom of the <controls> section of any of the main windows like My Programs, My Video, etc.
Support for that has been around for a long time. What's missing is having the same directory be open when you get there.
Ya thats precisely why I'm gonna at least attempt to do this. The hardest part is finding some ground because the code we are talking about is actually inherited through multiple classes so I have to take the time to understand how you guys build windows, buttons, etc. It feels like I'm learning a new GUI API such as QT or something.
nuff said
Not like it's been a while or anything, I just wondered if you've started trying to get this running? I'm awaiting this with eager as I get annoyed to hell doing the mistake all the time(yeah, I'm dumb Big Grin ).

Just wanted status report, nothing else.
actually, i got this working in my local sources via a context menu option called "Switch Media". when you choose it, you get presented a list of other media types (excluding my programs.) it requires that you have a matching bookmark in the destination media window or you'll wind up at the root. (note, that the general smb://, xbms://, and upnp:// bookmarks cover most cases so you wont get the root listing.) im still tweaking it a bit, but will commit it within a few days. (a cool thing is that "back" will eventually take you back to that location in the previous media window.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Switch Media..." option on white button context-menu0